Register

Patching your DSDT ProBook 4x30s using MaciASL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not really. What does this show?

Code:
# in terminal
ls -l /System/Library/Extensions | grep -y acpipoller

Also check to see ACPIPoller.kext is loaded in Kext Wizard -> Loaded (search for acpipoller).

Also check in Console to see if ACPIPoller.kext is loaded. Search for acpipoller... you should see:
Code:
Dec 21 19:28:41 localhost kernel[0]: ACPIPoller: Version 2012.1102 starting

Where time/date corresponds to when you last booted your laptop.

It show this:
drwxr-xr-x@ 3 root wheel 102 2 Nov 10:10 ACPIPoller.kext

The ACPIPoller.kext is loaded in Kext Wizard and yes, I found it in the console.

I used kext wizard to repair permission and rebuild the cache and I removed the cable and the battery and hold the power button for 60 secs than put everything back. I have done the bios reset to standard values too.

Now the CPU 0 is 46 degrees, CPU1 45 degrees, CPU Heatsink 44 degrees and the GPU 0 Core 31 degrees.
System Fan now: 2793rpm (quiet).

Any explication, please?

Thanks!

It show this:
drwxr-xr-x@ 3 root wheel 102 2 Nov 10:10 ACPIPoller.kext

The ACPIPoller.kext is loaded in Kext Wizard and yes, I found it in the console.

I used kext wizard to repair permission and rebuild the cache and I removed the cable and the battery and hold the power button for 60 secs than put everything back. I have done the bios reset to standard values too.

Now the CPU 0 is 46 degrees, CPU1 45 degrees, CPU Heatsink 44 degrees and the GPU 0 Core 31 degrees.
System Fan now: 2793rpm (quiet).

Any explication, please?

Thanks!

What is your BIOS setting for fan (Always on with AC power?)

What is your BIOS setting for fan (Always on with AC power?)

All the BIOS settings are set to default. I do this everytime I update the BIOS or when I do a fresh new install.
BTW, now the fan seems to act like it have to (CPU is always between min 40 and max 50 degrees and the fan do 2761 or 2793 rpm).

Odd, isn't it?

All the BIOS settings are set to default. I do this everytime I update the BIOS or when I do a fresh new install.
BTW, now the fan seems to act like it have to (CPU is always between min 40 and max 50 degrees and the fan do 2761 or 2793 rpm).

Odd, isn't it?

Definitely not odd. The default setting for "Fan Always on while on AC Power" in BIOS is checked. You reset your BIOS to defaults, but if you expect the fan to turn off while plugged in, you need to uncheck that option. I suspect further that if you unplug and run on battery, your fan will turn off as expected, provided the temperature is under 50C.

Definitely not odd. The default setting for "Fan Always on while on AC Power" in BIOS is checked. You reset your BIOS to defaults, but if you expect the fan to turn off while plugged in, you need to uncheck that option. I suspect further that if you unplug and run on battery, your fan will turn off as expected, provided the temperature is under 50C.

I tried and is like you said..
just one more question: the fact that the fan only start when the temperature go up to 50 degrees, can compromise the cpu lifetime? is possible that one i5 became more "hot" than an i3? your solution is an universal (same for i3, i5 and i7) solution?
Thanks!

just one more question: the fact that the fan only start when the temperature go up to 50 degrees, can compromise the cpu lifetime?

No. unless you overclock the cpu at extreme rates and without adequate cooling, and always plugging in and out, would create small cracks or fissures that become big later .

for laptop use, its the least likely component to break or fail. more like the thermal system such as the fan. its very loud at high rpms. likely that hp chose the lowest bidder for the supply of the fan. its not like this in the elite book range.

roasting the cpu is ok, but the thermal paste will be roasted faster than the cpu - so replace the thermal paste and dust off the insides once a while. if u live in dusty hot climate areas, and use the laptop outside an air conditioned office environment, good idea to give it a regular cleanup like you do for your car.

hope it helps

RM, please explain me the normal behavior of the fan (to give me the possibility to understand and choose).

I mean:

With Windows: CPU temperature and fan RPM? When the fan start or the fan is always on..
With OS X dsdt (no fan patch): CPU temperature and fan RPM? When the fan start or the fan is always on..
With OS X dsdt (with fan patch): CPU temperature and fan RPM? When the fan start or the fan is always on..

Thank you in advance!

just one more question: the fact that the fan only start when the temperature go up to 50 degrees, can compromise the cpu lifetime?

It is possible, but so far no evidence of that. And 50C is well below spec'ed TJmax at 85C.

is possible that one i5 became more "hot" than an i3? your solution is an universal (same for i3, i5 and i7) solution?
Thanks!

The FTAB as coded now seems to work pretty well for all chips. Some people have tweaked the code to have the fan kick in with a smaller delay for the higher performing i7 chips. Under normal use that is probably not necessary, but you can get some pretty high temps with a high performance i7 and a "sneak attack" (start prime95 on all 8 threads right as the temp reaches 50 with fan still off) with prime95 torture test.

The DSDT code is there in plain sight, for anyone that wants to tweak it...

I have extracted and patched my dsdt and everything went fine, thanks.

It does work alright, the fan turns off as usual and all is well, but I've lost all the information the HWMonitor used to show. Like how many seconds it was until a step up, and the average CPU temp.

Was that removed on purpose or is there a newer version of your modified HWMonitor app somewhere?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back