Contribute
Register

pastrychef's testing machine - HP Elite 8300 SFF - i7-3770 - GT 630

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't have any output from that command. Running without grep it appears that the log is only saved since reboot; and I haven't tried a sleep cycle yet. Will see if I can do a sleep cycle and then run command; but if it doesn't wake up or reboots the log will be lost?

What devices do you have in your 8300? The power supplies in those systems are pretty small and I'm wondering if that's the cause of your problems.

What devices do you have in your 8300? The power supplies in those systems are pretty small and I'm wondering if that's the cause of your problems.
I have one SSD, one WiFi/Bluetooth card and the newly added RX560 (replacing GT710). I recall having sleep issues when I first set this up (Sierra) so am hoping it is just a setting somewhere.
If you do a `pmset -g` what is your output? Thanks

I have one SSD, one WiFi/Bluetooth card and the newly added RX560 (replacing GT710). I recall having sleep issues when I first set this up (Sierra) so am hoping it is just a setting somewhere.
If you do a `pmset -g` what is your output? Thanks

That should be well within the capabilities of the power supply.

Screen Shot 2019-06-28 at 5.57.54 PM.png

That should be well within the capabilities of the power supply.

View attachment 413700
Agreed - the PSU shouldn't be overloaded.

An update; I found this thread which pointed to the instructions in this post. I followed those instructions (deleting all the `com.apple.PowerManagement.*` files in `/Library/Preferences` and rebooting. I am still testing but have done multiple successful wakes from standby, so I am hoping that is the fix.

As an aside, I have more options in my pmset e.g. "standby: and "sleep on power button":

Agreed - the PSU shouldn't be overloaded.

An update; I found this thread which pointed to the instructions in this post. I followed those instructions (deleting all the `com.apple.PowerManagement.*` files in `/Library/Preferences` and rebooting. I am still testing but have done multiple successful wakes from standby, so I am hoping that is the fix.

As an aside, I have more options in my pmset e.g. "standby: and "sleep on power button":

View attachment 413763

We are using two very different system definitions.

Just an update. My system uptime is over 7 days and I have had extended periods of standby and extended periods of use. I think we are now stable.

The two key things for me were to delete the com.apple.PowerManagement.* files as linked above, and also set autpoweroff to 0 (not 1 as in the screenshot above).

I'm now running Mojave and RX560 and its like my 8300 has another lease of life :)

Anyone know if there is an RX 560 with multiple DisplayPort outputs? I'm looking for something to drive 2 4K monitors on a stock 8300CMT system. I've considered the NVS 510, but I'd prefer something more recent so performance isn't compromised.

Anyone know if there is an RX 560 with multiple DisplayPort outputs? I'm looking for something to drive 2 4K monitors on a stock 8300CMT system. I've considered the NVS 510, but I'd prefer something more recent so performance isn't compromised.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of any with multiple DisplayPorts. You may be forced to go with one DisplayPort and one HDMI to drive your monitors.

However, my experiences with 4K@60Hz over HDMI has been spotty... I don't know if it's a limitation of macOS or the HDMI cables I've used (I've tried quite a few different ones). Lowering refresh to 50Hz can help a lot but eventually glitches out over time and requires a restart to fix. If you can live with 30Hz, it works fine.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of any with multiple DisplayPorts. You may be forced to go with one DisplayPort and one HDMI to drive your monitors.

However, my experiences with 4K@60Hz over HDMI has been spotty... I don't know if it's a limitation of macOS or the HDMI cables I've used (I've tried quite a few different ones). Lowering refresh to 50Hz can help a lot but eventually glitches out over time and requires a restart to fix. If you can live with 30Hz, it works fine.
I'm currently driving 2 4K monitors @ 60Hz via DisplayPort and 1 1080p@60Hz via HDMI with a GTX950. I'm on High Sierra and waiting to get an equivalent or better Radeon as a replacement so I can move up to newer versions of macOS. Unfortunately, because of the power supply constraints, it's hard to find anything recent with multiple DisplayPort outputs. The NVS 510 would fit the bill except that it's an old card, and I would worry about performance.

I'm currently driving 2 4K monitors @ 60Hz via DisplayPort and 1 1080p@60Hz via HDMI with a GTX950. I'm on High Sierra and waiting to get an equivalent or better Radeon as a replacement so I can move up to newer versions of macOS. Unfortunately, because of the power supply constraints, it's hard to find anything recent with multiple DisplayPort outputs. The NVS 510 would fit the bill except that it's an old card, and I would worry about performance.
I have an 8300 and RX560 but no 4k monitors to try with, sorry. I am successfully running 2x 2k (1440p) monitors with no issue.

A quick google throws up this card with potentially 4 DP outputs? Although not sure on availability.

Are you aware it IS possible to upgrade the PSU in a CMT, and then you have a much wider choice of cards, given you can use additional power. It involves buying or building an adaptor to convert ATX socket > HP proprietary socket, and drilling a couple of different mounting holes in the case. Some people get concerned about PSU work but I have used the adaptor successfully in testing. Not using it long term as sourced an RX560 that works for me, and didn't have the time or inclination to drill case holes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back