Contribute
Register

pastrychef's testing machine - HP Elite 8300 SFF - i7-3770 - GT 630

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are those HP machines known to work as seamlessly with macOS as the 8300? A big part of the appeal of the 8300 for me was the guides here and the fact that, with HD4000 graphics, they "just work". I also picked mine up for about USD70 equivalent, so that was also an appeal!

Is there a reference to what 100/200/300 series machines are?

Skylake may require a tad more tweaking but it shouldn't be all that much more difficult to get up and running.

Here is at least a partial list:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HP_business_desktops

Updated to macOS High Sierra 10.13.5 via App Store without any issues.

Screen Shot 2018-06-01 at 10.18.43 PM.png

Hi guys,

I just upgraded from 10.13.1 -> 10.13.5 and I have lost the HDMI audio. Should I use the new AppleALC.kext? I have a Nvidia 750Ti Card.

Currently in my CLOVER/kexts/Other I have the following kexts:
- FakeSMC
- IntelMausiEthernet
- Lilu
- NvidiaGraphicsFixup​

Thanks! :)

Hi guys,

I just upgraded from 10.13.1 -> 10.13.5 and I have lost the HDMI audio. Should I use the new AppleALC.kext? I have a Nvidia 750Ti Card.

Currently in my CLOVER/kexts/Other I have the following kexts:
- FakeSMC
- IntelMausiEthernet
- Lilu
- NvidiaGraphicsFixup​

Thanks! :)

I followed this guide to restore HDMI audio from my GTX 745.

Boy... Time flies... It's been just about 2 years since I picked up my 8300. At the time, I was still extremely new to hackintoshing and the 8300 provided a nice platform for me to experiment and learn. I still remember seeing it on eBay and being unable to resist the very low $180 price tag.

Since then, this machine has served me extremely well and did in fact help me learn a lot. It also provided a platform for me to test things before implementing them on my main system. I feel that this 8300 has reached nirvana in terms of macOS compatibility. While it runs macOS great, it is starting to show its age a bit. I'm probably spoiled by the speed, power, and responsiveness of my main system, but the 8300 feels sluggish to me now and it's inability to play 4K videos will be increasingly apparent as 4K continues its march forward as the new defacto standard. Don't get me wrong, this system has aged extremely well, but it's hard to hide the fact that it's now 5 generations behind the current Coffee Lake architecture.

Last week, I came across a Skylake system at a very difficult to resist price of $160... I took the plunge... :banghead: Last night, I listed my 8300 on Craig's List and it sold within hours of listing. Stripped of all the little upgrades I added, I managed to fetch $120 for it and then I sold the extra RAM that I had put in it separately for $160. I, unbelievably, ended up net positive by upgrading to Skylake!

Anyway, it was a fun and extremely educational ride with this 8300...

Anyway, it was a fun and extremely educational ride with this 8300...
Yes, the 8300 is the ultimate "starter" hackintosh. Thanks for all of your contributions through this thread and elsewhere on the site. Finding this diamond in the rough has helped many people get started with an affordable and easy to get working hackintosh.

Yes, the 8300 is the ultimate "starter" hackintosh. Thanks for all of your contributions through this thread and elsewhere on the site. Finding this diamond in the rough has helped many people get started with an affordable and easy to get working hackintosh.
I concur, trs96. I've enjoyed reading your build description, too. This is a classic hackintosh "I wonder if...?" For general purpose computing, you can't beat these builds.

I concur, trs96. I've enjoyed reading your build description, too. This is a classic hackintosh "I wonder if...?" For general purpose computing, you can't beat these builds.
It's pretty amazing how many different Operating Systems can be run on these and quite well at that. AFAIK you can run macOS from 10.7.5 all the way through Mojave. ChromeOS is fully supported. Any flavor of Linux. Windows 7, 8.1 and 10. I think that now Windoze 7 cannot be installed on Kaby Lake or newer PC hardware. So these 5 year old HP business desktops give you all the choices you could ever want.

Last week, I came across a Skylake system at a very difficult to resist price of $160... I took the plunge... :banghead: Last night, I listed my 8300 on Craig's List and it sold within hours of listing. Stripped of all the little upgrades I added, I managed to fetch $120 for it and then I sold the extra RAM that I had put in it separately for $160. I, unbelievably, ended up net positive by upgrading to Skylake!
What Skylake system did you end up getting? Are you planning to Hack it? Looking forward to your write-up if you do.

What Skylake system did you end up getting? Are you planning to Hack it? Looking forward to your write-up if you do.

I picked up an HP ProDesk 600 G2. It's a very low end system, but the price was hard to argue against. I'm still messing around with it but, so far, I would recommend against it as a hackintosh candidate. I'll update with more details after more playing around with it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back