Contribute
Register

pastrychef's testing machine - HP Elite 8300 SFF - i7-3770 - GT 630

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for this. I started the process, but was going to wait until HP released the patched BIOS for Spectre/Meltdown, based on this (copied from RehabMan's post that was linked in Nitrouze's post):

"Although you may be tempted to use a DSDT from another computer, it will almost always end in failure. You simply cannot be certain it is valid to use ACPI files from another computer. Even minor differences in hardware configuration (BIOS version, amount of memory installed, BIOS options selected, and other hardware differences such as which WiFi card is installed) can make for differences that cause instability and weird bugs if you use foreign ACPI files."

He goes on to say:

"Keep in mind that even changes you make to your own system (BIOS, hardware, etc.) will require re-extract, re-patch.

If any of the following is changed, you must re-extract, re-patch, as these changes may cause significant changes to the native ACPI (especially SystemMemory regions):
- updating BIOS
- changing any BIOS option
- changing hardware or memory configuration"

Just an FYI for anyone using this method.

And, I just checked and HP has a 3.06 BIOS posted with the fixes:
HP spectre
for anyone brave and willing to try it.

Find attached the K01_0306 BIN file. This is the simplest way to flash the BIOS via the HP Utility app.
You can see a video of the process in my HP 8300 guide. You will obviously use the 0306.BIN in place of the 0299 version.

Attachments

• K01_0306.BIN.zip
    5.1 MB · Views: 105
Last edited:
I just updated my BIOS to 3.06. It did not break my DSDT and everything is still working fine.

I looked at the DSDT extracted from BIOS 3.06 and there were some differences from previous versions. I've updated the directions with the addition of directions for BIOS 3.06.

Ah yes! Good idea! I'll have to install and check which files are installed and where they are installed. I've totally forgotten where those files were. I'm currently updating Windows on my 8300 (Windows on an HDD) and it's taking forever...

Your instructions say to remove the Voodoo files. As I've never UNinstalled a kext before, is it as simple as moving/deleting the file, or is there more to it (like KextBeast for installing them.)

Thanks.

is it as simple as moving/deleting the file.
Do that and then in Terminal :
Code:
sudo kextcache -i /
Press Return, type your password, press Return again and when the command has completed, restart.

I followed the steps for fixing HDMI audio and I am now stuck at boot. The progress bar goes to 100%, but it won't go further. I'm sure I hosed something up. Any suggestions on how to roll it back or delete the patched DSDT entirely?

edit: Nevermind. It took several minutes, but finally booted. With working sound! Thanks!

Things seemed to be working really well until I attempted to implement CPU management.

Now I’m stuck on boot. Here is a photo of my verbose mode.

Attachments

• 8166AA4C-5DB1-427E-BD9D-E7BC50A28E70.jpeg
    8166AA4C-5DB1-427E-BD9D-E7BC50A28E70.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 151
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back