Contribute
Register

pastrychef's testing machine - HP Elite 8300 SFF - i7-3770 - GT 630

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well after a week of my fresh install of high sierra, I have some issues that might somebody know how to fix it.

Sometimes the system is laggy, changing from one desktop to another takes seconds, and sometimes typing as well. I have a 3770 cpu and I put the ssdt for the power management but not sure if this could be a problem with Nvidia drivers?

Thanks.

Are you using a scaled resolution?

Try using at native resolution and see if you still have the lagginess.

Anybody using an 8300 for video editing? I'm trying to use Davinci Resolve 14 (just for GoPro and phone footage, nothing pro, as an upgrade to iMovie). However, even with "optimising video" I can't play a file smoothly in Resolve. It might be because I just have the standard HD4000 card in place, as opposed to a newer card, which I know would be better for Resolve. However I was hoping to play back HD GoPro footage in Resolve OK. Any thoughts on using these machines for HD video editing would be helpful.

Anybody using an 8300 for video editing? I'm trying to use Davinci Resolve 14 (just for GoPro and phone footage, nothing pro, as an upgrade to iMovie). However, even with "optimising video" I can't play a file smoothly in Resolve. It might be because I just have the standard HD4000 card in place, as opposed to a newer card, which I know would be better for Resolve. However I was hoping to play back HD GoPro footage in Resolve OK. Any thoughts on using these machines for HD video editing would be helpful.
With the 1050 Ti 4GB model selling for under $150 it would make sense to invest in one if you want to edit video. HD4000 is 5 y.o. integrated graphics. Was never meant for serious video editing. Even a 1050 2GB gfx card would make a big difference if you don't want to spend as much.

With the 1050 Ti 4GB model selling for under $150 it would make sense to invest in one if you want to edit video. HD4000 is 5 y.o. integrated graphics. Was never meant for serious video editing. Even a 1050 2GB gfx card would make a big difference if you don't want to spend as much.
I appreciate a better card would be an improvement, but to give you an idea where I am those cards cost as much as I paid for my HP 8300 (i7/16gb etc) and I'm not keen on increased fan noise. I was just amazed that Resolve couldn't play back HD gopro footage. I've tried FCP on the same machine and it had no issues. Will do some more experimenting (and reading on best graphics cards, I have the minitower version so not restricted to low profile), but it might come down to spending the money on FCP, or upgrading the graphics and using Resolve.

Thinking about it, I should be able to test Resolve on a Macbook Air with HD4000 graphics, so can confirm if it is the graphics or something wonky on my HP machine.

I appreciate a better card would be an improvement, but to give you an idea where I am those cards cost as much as I paid for my HP 8300 (i7/16gb etc) and I'm not keen on increased fan noise. I was just amazed that Resolve couldn't play back HD gopro footage. I've tried FCP on the same machine and it had no issues. Will do some more experimenting (and reading on best graphics cards, I have the minitower version so not restricted to low profile), but it might come down to spending the money on FCP, or upgrading the graphics and using Resolve.

Thinking about it, I should be able to test Resolve on a Macbook Air with HD4000 graphics, so can confirm if it is the graphics or something wonky on my HP machine.
The CUDA cores on the Nvidia cards make the most difference in the perfromance you'll get with the Adobe software suite. That's something (CUDA cores) that has no effect in how Final Cut performs. I have a GTX 1050 2GB in an HP 6300 and the fans rarely even spin up, completely silent. I don't use resolve but I don't think that fan noise would be anything to worry about when using a 1050. Your case fans will probably be more audible. I have the Gigabyte version that I got for under 90 dollars on Amazon. Buy one, install CUDA drivers and try it for 3 weeks. If you don't like it, RMA and try another approach.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MG0733A/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Last edited:
I hadn't thought or appreciated the fans wouldn't always be active, good point.
Where I'm based I don't have the luxury of Amazon shipping easily or the ability to RMA. But thanks for the info, will do some more reading around CUDA cores etc. It looks like I could get a GT1030 for a reasonable price (but looks like the 1050 is the one to go for, being newer, much more powerful and more energy efficient?).

I hadn't thought or appreciated the fans wouldn't always be active, good point.
Where I'm based I don't have the luxury of Amazon shipping easily or the ability to RMA. But thanks for the info, will do some more reading around CUDA cores etc. It looks like I could get a GT1030 for a reasonable price (but looks like the 1050 is the one to go for, being newer, much more powerful and more energy efficient?).

I'm not certain the 1030 has the same feature (fans not spinning till needed) I don't think that any of these Pascal based cards get too hot or draw much power at all. I've got my 1050 connected to a 1080p TV and it looks great when streaming content. You can even use a 4K monitor with it. I'll upgrade to one of those in a few years from now. My Toshiba TV is only about 4 years old.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back