Contribute
Register

pastrychef's testing machine - HP Elite 8300 SFF - i7-3770 - GT 630

Status
Not open for further replies.
HD4000 is natively supported in Sierra. When I installed on the 8300 USFF (10.12.4) I didn't make any changes to the ig-platform id and it worked immediately at a 1080p resolution via a DP to HDMI adapter.

Hi everyone!

I was planning to build a Hackintosh until I found this thread. Then, I found this on Craigslist.

Selling this HP Elite 8300 CMT Workstation with 20" HP monitor, it has been refurbished, tested and is in good working order.
Comes with power cord, keyboard and mouse COMPLETE SET GREAT DEAL WON'T LAST LONG!!

SPECS:
Intel Core [email protected]
8GB Ram
1TB HDD
Windows 10 - 64 bit
$125

Is this a good deal for "refurbished"? Do I need a GPU, or can I use iGPU? If I do need one, any recommendation?
Usage include 4K FCPX, and Adobe Suite. What does CMT stand for?

Any necessary upgrades besides SSD?

I'm trying to keep this on budget, If it will cost more than $500 with necessary upgrades might as well just drop in $200 more and build new. Don't you agree?

Thanks.

Hi everyone!

I was planning to build a Hackintosh until I found this thread. Then, I found this on Craigslist.

Is this a good deal for "refurbished"? Do I need a GPU, or can I use iGPU? If I do need one, any recommendation?

I'm trying to keep this on budget, If it will cost more than $500 with necessary upgrades might as well just drop in $200 more and build new. Don't you agree?

Thanks.
Looks like a great deal if it is fully functional and the case is ok. A used I7-3770 costs more than you are paying for the whole HP PC. They start at $150 for used I7-3770 CPUs in functional condition. A new I7-6700 will cost you around $300.

CMT stands for convertible mini-tower. For FCPX you'll need more than 8GB of ram. You'd also need a discrete graphics card. I would go with a GTX 1050 Ti 4GB and use the DP output to your monitor to get 4K at 60 Hz. What monitor do you have ? The cost of a basic MLC nand SSD (120GB) is about $55 dollars now on Newegg or Amazon. That is the other worthwhile upgrade. You could install macOS / FCP X and a few other apps on that. Use the 1 TB drive for storage.

Last edited:
Looks like a great deal if it is fully functional and the case is ok. A used I7-3770 costs more than you are paying for the whole HP PC. CMT stands for convertible mini-tower. For FCPX you'll need more than 8GB of ram. You'd also need a discrete graphics card. I would go with a GTX 1050 Ti 4GB and use the DP output to your monitor to get 4K at 60 Hz. What monitor do you have ?

Currently using LG 29um68 with Macbook Pro i7 Mid-2012 non-retina.
Ram is about $100 for 16GB, Do I Need more than 16GB? These will be ddr3, right?
GPU is about $135-$150. Does it matter if it's Gigabyte, EVGA, or other?
What about Wifi card?

I see this working out thanks to you. I may pull the trigger.

HD4000 is natively supported in Sierra. When I installed on the 8300 USFF (10.12.4) I didn't make any changes to the ig-platform id and it worked immediately at a 1080p resolution via a DP to HDMI adapter.
I'm running El Capitan, maybe that's the difference.

Hi everyone!

Thanks.
Sounds like a good deal if it's running and in good shape. This is slightly lower than they've been going on eBay lately.
Mine came with 4GB RAM - 2 mixed sticks, a Samsung 2GB and a Kingston 2GB. I mixed with 16GB of this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J8E8Y5C/?tag=tonymacx86com-20
and my system reports 20GB RAM now.
The thing I'd watch out for is you have no idea of the history or reliability of the included drive so keep that in mind compared with the value of the data you put on it.
Mine came with a 500GB HD. I think I'll buy a Samsung EVO850 SSD and keep the 500GB on the side as an emergency boot/recovery drive.

Hi everyone!

Thanks.

$125 is a fantastic deal. As others have stated, upgrade to more RAM and SSD.

See this thread for low profile, single slot video card solutions:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...file-gpu-for-a-kaby-lake-sierra-build.217105/

The Quadro cards mentioned on page 4 of that thread are nice because they have Mini DisplayPort. Using a true single slot card means that the adjacent PCI-e slot can be used for something else.

Currently using LG 29um68 with Macbook Pro i7 Mid-2012 non-retina.
Ram is about $100 for 16GB, Do I Need more than 16GB? These will be ddr3, right?
GPU is about $135-$150. Does it matter if it's Gigabyte, EVGA, or other?
What about Wifi card?
I would start with a 16 GB kit, it should be adequate. The latest MBP with that amount of ram has no problems with FCP. Some Pros need more than that but it should be enough for an average user. If you're constantly maxing out your ram, add a second identical kit of 16 GB. Could be the Crucial 1600 MHz DDR3 variety or the Kingston HyperX brand will work too. The 8GB kit that comes with it will likely work ok with the kit you buy. You'll have to test it out. I always try to stay with the same brand of ram in a system but it's not mandatory. When you disable the igfx and use a discrete graphics card that frees up 1.5GB of your system ram for the editing work so shouldn't be a problem.

Any brand of 1050 Ti should work. I've not seen any comments of a specific brand that doesn't. I generally choose EVGA or Gigabyte first but have used MSI and Asus cards with success in various builds. For wifi and BT get the Fenvi T919 with the BCM94360CD iMac card in it. Works natively.

Last edited:
Just adding my experience. Using an 8300 with the onboard HD4000 graphics, new install of Sierra 10.12.4 and the graphics worked without doing anything extra - have had it running 2560 x 1080 and 2560 x 1440 (not at the same time, only one output) using a displayport > displayport cable.

Having just seen 10.12.5 is out, but this being my first hackintosh, would be grateful for any news if the 10.12.5 update on an 8300 goes smoothly (i.e. can just be done like a normal mac, via the App Store or the Combo updater).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back