Contribute
Register

pastrychef's testing machine - HP Elite 8300 SFF - i7-3770 - GT 630

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK thanks. Well, from my testing it doesn't look like it works with onboard video :(. I will do some more reading on VoodooHDA.

Is there a reason why the onboard drivers don't work with Multibeast (has this been tried)? I'm new to this but understand Multibeast has Realtek drivers, and the onboard audio is Realtek on the 8300. Would be great if it was as easy as ticking the two attached files, but I suspect I am missing something, and I'm not sure (yet) how much I would break it if I "just tried".

Off to do more reading...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-05-08 at 12.25.11 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-05-08 at 12.25.11 PM.png
    131.5 KB · Views: 221
Oh wow. I didn't know MultiBeast had HD 4000 audio included. Yes, definitely try that. You don't need to check 100/200 series. That's only for Skylake/Kaby Lake.

OK..there may be hope! However, this is where my newbie-ness comes in. What is the best way to "try that" without breaking things / being able to roll back if it doesn't work?

Can I tick just that box and Build > Install, or do I need to tick everything from before (thanks to your post) and also the audio? If it breaks things, how would I get back to "remove" that tick?

In my reading I have also found here: "HP uses the ALC221 on all their business desktops since about 2009. They go cheap on that because they can for a business system. There is no kext for this Realtek chip to get it working. Two choices are Voodoohda or a USB audio adapter." So if the above Multibeast trick doesn't work I will look at VoodooHDA or new hardware.

1. Mount your EFI partition.
  2. Copy the entire EFI folder to somewhere safe as a backup.
  3. If anything goes wrong, you can just copy the EFI folder back and everything will be as you have it now.
Yes, if you want to use the onboard audio, you will need VoodooHDA. If you want to avoid the VoodooHDA, buy one of those USB audio adaptors. I got one for about $4 from eBay.

OK thanks. Well, from my testing it doesn't look like it works with onboard video :(. I will do some more reading on VoodooHDA.

Is there a reason why the onboard drivers don't work with Multibeast (has this been tried)? I'm new to this but understand Multibeast has Realtek drivers, and the onboard audio is Realtek on the 8300. Would be great if it was as easy as ticking the two attached files, but I suspect I am missing something, and I'm not sure (yet) how much I would break it if I "just tried".
Don't select 100/200 series audio. The motherboard in that HP PC has the Q77 chipset. 100/200 series are about 4 years newer than that. The audio codec onboard the 8300 is specifically ALC221. There is no kext for it in Multibeast. That much is perfectly clear. You can either use VoodooHDA or a simple 7 dollar USB audio adapter that is plug and play. There is a link to it in my Elite 8000 user build. Good luck.

I just put the two .kext files that come with the voodoo hda installer into my /EFI/clover/kexts/other folder and it works.

I like the Behringer UCA-202 USB audio device. It is plug and play with OS-X, Linux, UNIX, and MS-Windows.
No kexts or drivers needed to install. Works vanilla.
I have it hooked up to my 7.2 AV audio receiver for 7.2 surround sound via toslink optical connection.
My Yamaha AV receiver was able to process the toslink digital signal in ( DTS, THX, Dolby Digital, 7 channel surround sound, Pro Logic, etc. ). They all worked.

This way I don't have to worry about audio problems. Works great with multiboot systems.

This way I can switch out my computers anytime and don't have to rewire my audio setup.
Just plug in the USB Behringer is all I have to do to have 7.2 surround sound setup.

a great $30 investment.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000KW2YEI/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

macbook 7.1 audio -003.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the information all.

I did actually install VoodooHDA (just using the package installer) and got sound working, via the analogue jacks (front and back and internal speaker). Via Displayport just got a lot of static. However, seemed to break sleep mode and also didn't sound great, and needed tweaking in the preferences pane to stop continual clicking. Also, reading around, VoodooHDA doesn't seem that well regarded.

Uninstalled VoodooHDA (I hope) and went to the local computer store and found a cheap USB audio adaptor that said it worked with Mac, and so far it seems to. A bit of a delay for it to be detected but it is playing music now :)

The Behringer UCA-202 looks great and I may pick one up so I can use the SPDIF out straight to my speakers, which have optical in.

Just a quick update. In order to get sleep working I needed to do both sudo pmset -a autopoweroff 0 and sudo pmset -a standby 0 otherwise after an extended period on standby the machine would not wake up - I think because it was trying to be moved from sleep to hibernate modes. Hope that helps someone if they have a similar issue.

I did not have to do any of that. Sleep/Wake works vanilla in my HP 6000 / 6300 / 8300 / z800 / z220 / z400
I am using Nvidia GT 610 and 710 graphics cards.
Pentium / i3 / i5 / Xeon CPU's
It is when you install the Nullpowermanagement.kexts that you get problems.
Also I selected "Fix Shutdown" in Clover config.plist and many more other options.
Hibernate is not supported in OS X. Should be disabled in BIOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back