Contribute
Register

pastrychef's testing machine - HP Elite 8300 SFF - i7-3770 - GT 630

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you booth. I will go for a GTX 1050, unless a cheap 750ti pops up.

I considered a RX460 LP also, but they are not available in Europe and I think I need an iGPU working with macOS for that to work.

I think the RX460 is supported OOB, still a good choice for older games like Battlefield 3.

The HP 8300 is here, but graphics card purchase is postponed.

The computer is really noisy compared to what I expected. From what I have read about the HP SFF's, they should be rather quiet, but this one certainly is not quiet by my standards.

I am trying to figure out whether it is a special case for this PC (we have some old HP 8200's at work, I might compare with) and if there is something I can do to bring to noise down. If I don't succeed at that I might not continue the project.

How is the noise on your SFF's? And have you done anything to handle it?

The idle fan speed is set to minimum in BIOS and it does ramp up if I increase. But even at idle, there is a lot of noise.

My SFF is extremely quiet. I don't even notice it's on.

The HP 8300 is here, but graphics card purchase is postponed.

The computer is really noisy compared to what I expected. From what I have read about the HP SFF's, they should be rather quiet, but this one certainly is not quiet by my standards.

I am trying to figure out whether it is a special case for this PC (we have some old HP 8200's at work, I might compare with) and if there is something I can do to bring to noise down. If I don't succeed at that I might not continue the project.

How is the noise on your SFF's? And have you done anything to handle it?

The idle fan speed is set to minimum in BIOS and it does ramp up if I increase. But even at idle, there is a lot of noise.

You'll need to isolate which fan the noise is primarily coming from. PSU fan ? Front intake ? Then replace that with a new one, either one by HP or a third party fan like Noctua if you demand an ultra quiet system.

Last edited:
Thanks to you both.

I will compare with an 8200 SFF tomorrow and probably contact the seller. A short google showed that excessive fan noise can be a symptom of MB failure.

If it is the PSU fan, I don't think it can be replaced (the whole PSU can). Other than that there only seems to be one fan in the front, a standard 92x92x25. This one can be replaced.

All of the OEM replacements can be found on Ebay at reasonable prices. One way to troubleshoot is to disconnect each fan until you get to just the PSU fan running. Listen to each one's contribution to the overall noise output. It's perfectly ok to leave the CPU heatsink fan off for awhile when idling. Won't do any harm.

I tried unplugging some fans and it is clear that both the PSU fan and the front intake/CPU fan are making some noise. I was also surprised that the standard 500GB HDD was clearly audible once the fans were gone, but it will be replaced by an SSD.

So that leaves the fans. Both the PSU fan and front fan are standard 92x92x25 and can be replaced, so I will try my luck with two Noctuas and report back here.

Last edited:
I've done a lot of reading and this is my first post here, along with my first hackintosh. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

I've picked up an HP 8300, i7-3770 cpu, 16gb RAM, and installed a 525gb SSD. Installed Sierra as per instructions and everything seem good (great even - it absolutely flies!) so far except audio. I have the Convertible Microtower model and am using the onboard HD4000 graphics, with Displayport > Displayport direct to my monitor. No adaptors or additional graphics cards at this stage. My monitor does have audio out, and using my MacBook Air I get audio out of my speakers via thunderbolt/minidisplayport > DisplayPort.

I installed "HDMIAudio-1.1.dmg" as per the original post, by using terminal "sudo ./install.sh" and I got

"Installing HDMIAudio.
Rebuilding extension caches. This may take a while.
Installation complete. Please reboot now."​

I'm not sure how else I can check if this worked?

In "System Preference > Sound > Output" I get "No Output Devices Found". Screenshot attached.
In "System Report > Audio" I get "Intel High Definition Audio" listed. Screenshot attached.

I'm not sure on my next steps:
- what I want should be supported i.e. onboard audio via Displayport from HD4000?
- have I done the HDMIAudio install right?
- ideally I don't want to use VoodooHDA as it looks rather complex
- would prefer to get onboard working rather than go USB/PCI, but appreciate this might be easier...
- not sure if the Displayport cable may be the issue, I don't have another to test at the moment.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-05-08 at 10.35.04 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-05-08 at 10.35.04 AM.png
    41.4 KB · Views: 133
  • Screen Shot 2017-05-08 at 10.35.09 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-05-08 at 10.35.09 AM.png
    38.9 KB · Views: 143
I don't know if the HDMIAudio-1.1.dmg works with onboard video... I've been using it with an Nvidia graphics card through all the macOS updates and it just continued to work.

I think that trying the VoodooHDA would be your best option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back