Contribute
Register

pastrychef's testing machine - HP Elite 8300 SFF - i7-3770 - GT 630

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this build (i7-3770) suitable for a machine running 24/7?

I see no reason why you wouldn't be able to run it 24/7. When I first got it, I had it running for several days straight without any issues.

Is this build (i7-3770) suitable for a machine running 24/7?

I use my 8300 with i5 cpu as a home server. Have had no problems. I have it setup with Windows-7 on an SSD and 2 large 3tb. hard drives.
It goes to sleep when not in use and wakes up when I access it.
I could have installed OSX on it however I did not.
Has been working fine for the last 5 months.
I never bother with it since I have set it up.
I can use remote desktop to access it via my macbook.
uses about $5-10 of electricity per year. More like $5 since I hardly ever use it.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I bought an HP 8300 SFF i5 which will arrive tomorrow. Is the GTX 1050 the most sensible choice for a GPU now with drivers available? Or does it make sense to consider the 750ti still? Or the Quadro P400?

I am not doing much gaming but would like good OpenCL performance for use in Capture One and generally good performance i Sierra.

The GTX 1050 should perform considerably better than a GTX 750 Ti. Just keep in mind that you will need a "low profile" model to fit in an SFF case and, ideally, a card that doesn't need additional power connections would be safest.

So I bought an HP 8300 SFF i5 which will arrive tomorrow. Is the GTX 1050 the most sensible choice for a GPU now with drivers available? Or does it make sense to consider the 750ti still?
I am not doing much gaming but would like good OpenCL performance for use in Capture One and generally good performance i Sierra.
Link to GTX 1050 LP by MSI
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814137079
These are the best for price/performance in an HP 8300 SFF. Has HDMI 2.0 and DP 1.4 so you should be able to do 4K @ 60Hz in Windows and macOS if you use a DP to HDMI active adapter. These are also much better than the LP GT710 that many people use for budget graphics. Slightly better than the 750 Ti. Which might make sense if you get a really low price on one.

From GPUBoss.com
Screen Shot 2.jpg

Thank you booth. I will go for a GTX 1050, unless a cheap 750ti pops up.

I considered a RX460 LP also, but they are not available in Europe and I think I need an iGPU working with macOS for that to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back