Graphics
HD4000
Mac
MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
Power Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
Pastrychef, thank you very much for your installation information. I too was blown away when I found this computer (8300 SFF) - I originally purchased it to get the processor and put it onto a DH67CL board. When the Intel board bricked during bios update, I was forced to use the 8300 as a stop gap - it has now become my main computer, with dual boot ability, for all of my main audio recording and other intensive projects. Using the HD4000 via displayport for one 27" display, driving another 27" display from a displayLink USB3 dock from Targus that I found at a London Drugs (Canada) for $80... appears they didn't know it needed a driver for MacOS. I've added a firewire card for connection to my audio interface. Similar to you, I don't really need more computers, but I feel drawn to buying the mini tower version just to have more drive bays. :)

pastrychef

Motherboard
Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (Wi-Fi AC)
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
MacBook, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
iBook, Power Mac, PowerBook
Mobile Phone
iOS
Pastrychef, thank you very much for your installation information. I too was blown away when I found this computer (8300 SFF) - I originally purchased it to get the processor and put it onto a DH67CL board. When the Intel board bricked during bios update, I was forced to use the 8300 as a stop gap - it has now become my main computer, with dual boot ability, for all of my main audio recording and other intensive projects. Using the HD4000 via displayport for one 27" display, driving another 27" display from a displayLink USB3 dock from Targus that I found at a London Drugs (Canada) for $80... appears they didn't know it needed a driver for MacOS. I've added a firewire card for connection to my audio interface. Similar to you, I don't really need more computers, but I feel drawn to buying the mini tower version just to have more drive bays. :)
Are you using an old style PCI or newer PCI-e Firewire card? If you implement the DSDT, the PCI slot can be used.

At this point, I would not recommend purchasing an 8300. I feel it's getting too old and you can find used HP or Dell Skylake and/or Kaby Lake systems easily in the neighborhood of about $200. This will give you a much more "modern" and updated system. Please see my "Clunker" build. Link is below in my signature.

Motherboard
HP Compaq Elite 8300 SFF
CPU
i7-3770S
Graphics
HD4000
Mac
MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
Power Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
Are you using an old style PCI or newer PCI-e Firewire card? If you implement the DSDT, the PCI slot can be used.

At this point, I would not recommend purchasing an 8300. I feel it's getting too old and you can find used HP or Dell Skylake and/or Kaby Lake systems easily in the neighborhood of about $200. This will give you a much more "modern" and updated system. Please see my "Clunker" build. Link is below in my signature.
Thank you for that!

Amazon.ca is where I've been sourcing the 8300 for installations, usually priced between $290 and $490 depending on RAM, SSD/HDD, Windows 10 or no Windows 10. The Dell Optiplex 3050 and 3060 family seems to be about double to triple that amount. I'll have to do more sourcing research, perhaps there are refurbs at Newegg or TigerDirect.

Last edited:
Motherboard
HP 8300 CMT
CPU
i7-3770
Graphics
RX560
Mac
MacBook Pro
I've also had a look and found there is a significant price increase (and limited availability) on newer machines. I would still recommend (and am still) using 8300s. My main 8300 CMT feels significantly faster in use than my genuine MBP, cost a fraction of it and I am confident I can double the RAM (16gb to 32gb) and increase SSD (512gb to ??) and mechanical storage (3tb to ???) and upgrade the graphics (HD4000 to RX560) relatively cheaply and easily if and when required.

pastrychef

Motherboard
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
MacBook, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
I've also had a look and found there is a significant price increase (and limited availability) on newer machines. I would still recommend (and am still) using 8300s. My main 8300 CMT feels significantly faster in use than my genuine MBP, cost a fraction of it and I am confident I can double the RAM (16gb to 32gb) and increase SSD (512gb to ??) and mechanical storage (3tb to ???) and upgrade the graphics (HD4000 to RX560) relatively cheaply and easily if and when required.
Here are a few pretty good deals. Remember, these are using 6th gen Intel CPUs.
Screen Shot 2019-05-02 at 12.50.17 AM.png

Motherboard
HP 8300 CMT
CPU
i7-3770
Graphics
RX560
Mac
MacBook Pro
Major point I forgot to mention, I'm not in the US. Geography plays a big part in availability!

pastrychef

Motherboard
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
MacBook, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
Major point I forgot to mention, I'm not in the US. Geography plays a big part in availability!
Ah! That makes a big difference. Lol

But, at the current prices in the US, it makes much more sense to go with Skylake or Kaby Lake systems now. I had spare SSD, RAM, and CPU sitting around and bought a bare bones system for $63 and was up and running with a Dell Sky Lake system within an hour or two. These are going for less than what I originally paid for my 8300.

I fully expect Apple to drop support for Ivy Bridge in the very near future.

trs96

Motherboard
GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK
CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
HD4600 / RX 570
Mac
iMac, Mac mini
Mobile Phone
Android
I'm hoping for support for Q77 chipset and Ivy Bridge to continue with 10.15 and I think it will. Even if it is dropped, the 8300 will still be upgradable. As PP said, he can simply install an RX560 if HD4000 were to be no longer supported. The 8300s can easily use the iMac 14,2 or Mac mini 7,1 sysdefs if need be. When you look at so many with X58 chipset systems still running the latest Mojave you can see how it is possible. X58 motherboards came out in 2010 and the Q77s like the HP 8300 debuted in 2012.

I think it's more likely Apple will drop support for 2012 and 2013 desktop Macs in 2020 as those iMacs were still using Nvidia discrete graphics. Switch to AMD radeon dedicated graphics was with late 2014, 2015 iMacs. It wouldn't make sense to just drop IB and HD4000 support this year and keep Haswell and HD4600 support. Both are very similar in specs. They are both Metal 2 capable and still work quite well with Mojave.

Another option is to simply keep using Mojave as it will have full support this year and next. You still get all the security updates that 10.15 will get. So no worries there.

What I'm more concerned about is what Apple will do in 2020, the supposed and often predicted, transition to using ARM based A series chips in Macs. There is nothing we can do about that. Then it won't matter how new your hackintosh is, if it is Intel based it will have limited options for macOS updates. Maybe they will use some kind of emulation again, IDK. WWDC this June and next year will be quite interesting to watch and see what Apple will announce.

Last edited:

pastrychef

Motherboard
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
MacBook, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
I'm hoping for support for Q77 chipset and Ivy Bridge to continue with 10.15 and I think it will. Even if it is dropped, the 8300 will still be upgradable. As PP said, he can simply install an RX560 if HD4000 were to be no longer supported. The 8300s can easily use the iMac 14,2 or Mac mini 7,1 sysdefs if need be. When you look at so many with X58 chipset systems still running the latest Mojave you can see how it is possible. X58 motherboards came out in 2010 and the Q77s like the HP 8300 debuted in 2012.

I think it's more likely Apple will drop support for 2012 and 2013 desktop Macs in 2020 as those iMacs were still using Nvidia discrete graphics. Switch to AMD radeon dedicated graphics was with late 2014, 2015 iMacs. It wouldn't make sense to just drop IB and HD4000 support this year and keep Haswell and HD4600 support. Both are very similar in specs. They are both Metal 2 capable and still work quite well with Mojave.

Another option is to simply keep using Mojave as it will have full support this year and next. You still get all the security updates that 10.15 will get. So no worries there.

What I'm more concerned about is what Apple will do in 2020, the supposed and often predicted, transition to using ARM based A series chips in Macs. There is nothing we can do about that. Then it won't matter how new your hackintosh is, if it is Intel based it will have limited options for macOS updates. Maybe they will use some kind of emulation again, IDK. WWDC this June and next year will be quite interesting to watch and see what Apple will announce.
I'm one of those who believe that Arm based systems are coming (as well as Apple designed GPUs). But even if Apple completely transitions to Arm in 2020, we should still see X86-64 support for a few years after the transition. In a worse case scenario, I would say that support should last at least until 2024.

Yes, users will probably be able to continue running macOS even if Apple drops support for Ivy Bridge by changing system definitions, using dGPU, etc.

All this being said, I still feel it's much wiser to spend approx $150-200 for a Skylake or Kaby Lake system than $100 on an Ivy Bridge system today. Other than the improvements in CPU architecture, there were also improvements in the chipset that brought DDR4 (which has seen significant price drops recently), support for up to 64GB, improved Quick Sync, improved QMI, etc.

Quick Sync in particular is an important consideration as 4K videos become more prevalent. I was never able to get my old 8300 to play a 4K video even with a dGPU.

Screen Shot 2019-05-02 at 9.11.20 AM.png

If/when HD4000 support gets cut, an Ivy Bridge IGPU user will also need to get a dGPU which adds to cost and brings total cost even closer or even beyond the $150-200 for a Skylake or Kaby Lake box.

trs96

Motherboard
GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK
CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
HD4600 / RX 570
Mac
iMac, Mac mini
Mobile Phone
Android
To get 4K/60Hz I just added a PNY Quadro K600 and it works OOB. They can be used LP in the SFF or full height in the MT versions. Cost was just under 19 USD. The average price on Ebay is about 25 USD so even less than a GT 710. The K600 has one DP 1.2 output for a single monitor. For Multi 4K monitors (2 or 3) the NVS 510 card works too. Those cost closer to about 90 USD used/refurb.
I think that if the price is close it is best to get the newer SL or KL CPU. For me it doesn't really matter because I've got newer systems that can do all the things an IB system can't. It's my secondary machine just for general use so quicksync features aren't too important. I really don't mind using older versions of OS X or macOS. Some of the oldies like Tiger and Mavericks are my favorites and I still use them on two of my systems. One is a 1st gen Mac mini that still works well. Got it with a G4 chip and OS X Tiger right before Apple announced the Intel transition in 2005. Was never even able to install Snow Leopard on it. They cut off the older PowerPC based Macs quickly once the Intel transition got going. It was only eligible for one OS X update to Leopard. I never bothered doing that update.

Last edited: