Contribute
Register

pastrychef's testing machine - HP Elite 8300 SFF - i7-3770 - GT 630

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm... Weird that you are having sleep issues. Mine sleeps and wakes perfectly fine. I just tested by putting system sleep and waking half a dozen times.

I just noticed the two extra Sata Power connections from that diagram. Should come in handy if anyone needs more hard drives in their system. I wonder if they could be used for supplemental power (6 or 8 Pin) for a graphics card ? Would just need the right connector if they provide enough current.

View attachment 217448
I'm using the sata power connector for the optical drive to provide 6-pin power to a 90W GTX950. I don't know how high a wattage the extra sata power ports can provide, but I figured an extra 15W wouldn't be a problem. Working great so far.

I'm using the sata power connector for the optical drive to provide 6-pin power to a 90W GTX950. I don't know how high a wattage the extra sata power ports can provide, but I figured an extra 15W wouldn't be a problem. Working great so far.
A 950 shouldn't draw a lot of extra power from the board, some of them just use the PCI-e 3.0 x16 and that's all. If you're not overclocking it or gaming on ultra settings it should be fine.

A 950 shouldn't draw a lot of extra power from the board, some of them just use the PCI-e 3.0 x16 and that's all. If you're not overclocking it or gaming on ultra settings it should be fine.
I ordered the MSI GTX 950 you linked earlier in the thread to me, that is slot powered. I will report back to everyone on its performance and noise level. It is currently 114 bucks after rebate.

I haven't had any problems with Sierra. I have it on my Skylake system, my Elite 8300, and an old 2008 Aluminum MacBook. It seems a bit slower on the MacBook but that's to be expected. It's quite underpowered by today's standards.

Hi Hackintoshers!

I'm buying a HP Elite 8300 SFF in the upcoming days and I was wondering about two scenarios.

1. Sell the i5-3470S CPU and buy one LGA1155 with HD3000 or HD4000 iGPU and no dGPU (in Hungary I can sell the CPU for about 80 EUR or 90 USD and buy another one [e.g. i3-3245] for 70 EUR or 80 USD, so profit!) or
2. keep the i5-3470S and buy one new nVidia GT610-630-710-730 GPU for about 35-52 EUR or 39-58 USD.

The machine would be my home server, torrent server and htpc at the same time with a wireless Logitech MK235 keyboard and mouse (Mac compatible) and ethernet connection. iTunes, Photos, HD movies and browsing, including YouTube. So I don't really need a powerful CPU for these tasks. What do you suggest?

Why would you need a dedicated video card if you keep the i5?

BTW, the GT 610 doesn't work with Sierra.

Why would you need a dedicated video card if you keep the i5?

BTW, the GT 610 doesn't work with Sierra.

Intel® HD Graphics 2500 is the answer, it is simply not supported :/ So should I choose GT630-710? Anyway, you said, you will test your CPU's iGPU with this setup. Any success with HD 4000?

Ah. Right...

Yes, I tested the HD 4000 briefly here: #70

It worked but the system seemed to think I had two monitors connected when I only had one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back