Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

Ah, I see... thanks!

BTW, I pulled up Video Converter Pro and checked for Encoding - no more hardware encoding present... :( No sure why...

On which system? Do you have a discrete graphics card? Is the Intel graphics setup to be headless? Do you have Lilu.kext and IntelGraphicsFixup.kext installed?

"headless" is a new term for me so am not sure what you mean by that.

On which system: The only one I've got. ;)
Discrete: yes (see profile)
Intel...headless: Not sure. Using 0x59120003 as ig-platform-id with Intel GFX of 0x59128086.
Lilu: yes
IntelGFXFixup: no

"headless" is a new term for me so am not sure what you mean by that.

On which system: The only one I've got. ;)
Discrete: yes (see profile)
Intel...headless: Not sure. Using 0x59120003 as ig-platform-id with Intel GFX of 0x59128086.
Lilu: yes
IntelGFXFixup: no

"Headless" means the Intel graphics will not appear in System Information and cannot be used for connecting monitors to. On real iMacs with discrete graphics, the Intel graphics also do not appear in System Information.

Try changing your ig-platform-id to 0x59120003 and installing IntelGraphicsFixup.kext. Hardware encoding should be enabled after you make the changes.

Changes made, no encoding... :/ strange...

@pastrychef My machine booted into OS X and I just completed the post install steps. Awesome guide and great configuration!

Some issues that I'm noticing, on build, the wifi antenna connector lines were too short for the adapter + Broadcom card. As a result of this, in order to connect the antenna's, I couldn't manage to attach the m2 adapter to the Asus metallic casing that hosts the wifi card. Not a big problem, but, as a difference to the pic you posted in thread #40, your antenna connectors seem to be much longer. Did you modify them?

Another issue, the front panel audio doesn't seem to work. I'm reading that this is a known issue with some motherboards but there might also me a slim chance that the connector is plugged in wrong (very slim, it has error prevention on it via pin layout). Before I open up the case, we have the exact same motherboard (ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-G WI-FI), did you manage to get your front panel audio jack working? Ignore this, I read your other reply that you don't really use front panel audio.

It's late now and I'm very happy to see this working! Thank you for all the great information and time put into this, without this thread, I would not even have considered building a hackintosh. Thank you!

I will come back these following days with pics and details on the build.

@pastrychef My machine booted into OS X and I just completed the post install steps. Awesome guide and great configuration!

Some issues that I'm noticing, on build, the wifi antenna connector lines were too short for the adapter + Broadcom card. As a result of this, in order to connect the antenna's, I couldn't manage to attach the m2 adapter to the Asus metallic casing that hosts the wifi card. Not a big problem, but, as a difference to the pic you posted in thread #40, your antenna connectors seem to be much longer. Did you modify them?

Another issue, the front panel audio doesn't seem to work. I'm reading that this is a known issue with some motherboards but there might also me a slim chance that the connector is plugged in wrong (very slim, it has error prevention on it via pin layout). Before I open up the case, we have the exact same motherboard (ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-G WI-FI), did you manage to get your front panel audio jack working? Ignore this, I read your other reply that you don't really use front panel audio.

It's late now and I'm very happy to see this working! Thank you for all the great information and time put into this, without this thread, I would not even have considered building a hackintosh. Thank you!

Yes, I noted that I had to change one of the pigtail antennas for it to reach the BCM94360CS2. I will edit post #40 later with a link to the type of antenna.

Yeah, I never bothered to test the front headphone and mic jacks. I just never use them. If I can find my headphones, I'll test them out...

Yes, and in proper order to facilitate both GPUs.

run this and report back on the output, it should look something like this:

[xxx@yyy ~]$ ./VDADecoderChecker
GVA info: Successfully connected to the Intel plugin, offline Gen95
Hardware acceleration is fully supported

BTW, I compiled this binary for High Sierra, which I assume you're on.
I can verify playing 4k HEVC mp4 files with QuickTime player it uses < 10% CPU and I can see the graphics card stepping up in Intel Power Gadget.

Attachments

• VDADecoderChecker.zip
    5.9 KB · Views: 76

I just tested out my front headphone jack and it's working. You can try the following to get it enabled on your build:

1. Mount your EFI partition.
  2. Go to your /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/ folder and delete the AppleALC.kext.
  3. Download MultiBeast.
  4. Launch MultiBeast.
  5. Click on "Drivers" on the top of the MultiBeast window.
  6. Select:
  7. Screen Shot 2018-01-16 at 7.56.31 PM.png
    Click Build at the top of the MultiBeast window.
  8. Reboot.

Also, I updated post #40 with a link to a pigtail antenna with longer cable.

Back