Contribute
Register

pastrychef's build - Asus Maximus VIII Gene - i7-7700K - GTX 1080

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the card performance like? I'm thinking of getting rid of the 1080ti for an amd card but not sure what it's equivalent is. I still want to use the PC for gaming
Honestly, I am not a fan of the vega 56 and I really wish that I should have waited a bit and should got the 5000 series GPU instead of this one, This vega 56 eats too much power while giving way small performance in gaming compared to GTX 1080 so I am suggesting you go with something new, and a card with more performance per watt ratio. Also I have 650W PSU and sometimes it feels like reaching it's limit on gaming, So all in all I have dual boot but I stopped playing games on windows because of this reason

What's the card performance like? I'm thinking of getting rid of the 1080ti for an amd card but not sure what it's equivalent is. I still want to use the PC for gaming
Honestly, I am not a fan of the vega 56 and I really wish that I should have waited a bit and should got the 5000 series GPU instead of this one, This vega 56 eats too much power while giving way small performance in gaming compared to GTX 1080 so I am suggesting you go with something new, and a card with more performance per watt ratio. Also I have 650W PSU and sometimes it feels like reaching it's limit on gaming, So all in all I have dual boot but I stopped playing games on windows because of this reason

I agree with umangloria. The Vega 56/64 are extremely power hungry. That being said, if tweaked well, they can be pretty competitive in gaming performance. By my estimation, probably somewhere between a GTX 1070 and a GTX 1080.

Again, this is with a good deal of tuning... I have a PowerColor Vega 56 Red Dragon (3 fans and Samsung HBM) that has been flashed with to Vega 64 firmware. I re-did the thermal paste on the GPU and thermal pads for the VRM, then I undervolted and overclocked it. This resulted in a pretty good performer, albeit a very power hungry one.

However, umangloria is correct, it makes much more sense to look in to one of the Navi cards today. They are just much more efficient.

@umangloria Did you upgrade to Big Sur with OC or Clover ?
If Clover, are you able to update apps from AppStore ?
I switched to OC before 5 months and even before upgrading I first updated OC to 0.6.3 and disabled SIP and then after the upgrade is done I re-enabled the SIP

I switched to OC before 5 months and even before upgrading I first updated OC to 0.6.3 and disabled SIP and then after the upgrade is done I re-enabled the SIP

I didn't disable SIP at all on any of my builds. I think the last time I had SIP disabled on any build was about 2 years ago.

I didn't disable SIP at all on any of my builds. I think the last time I had SIP disabled on any build was about 2 years ago.
I have tons of third-party apps and apple particularly specified in the first RC build that disabling SIP will help to avoid any issues during upgrade hence I thought why to take any chance haha

Have you managed to get NVRAM working on Opencore? I'm on the latest bios for the maximus viii gene, but I can't get it working. I tried the dortania guide but can't get anywhere.

Have you managed to get NVRAM working on Opencore? I'm on the latest bios for the maximus viii gene, but I can't get it working. I tried the dortania guide but can't get anywhere.

NVRAM should not be a problem on Z170.

NVRAM should not be a problem on Z170.
I tried the test to store myvar into NVRAM, restarted the machine and it wouldn't recall the value after. What am I doing wrong?

I tried the test to store myvar into NVRAM, restarted the machine and it wouldn't recall the value after. What am I doing wrong?

Just try setting the default boot drive from System Preferences > Startup Disk and see if it sticks across reboots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back