Contribute
Register

pastrychef's build - Asus Maximus VIII Gene - i7-7700K - GTX 1080

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have checked First post and changed these also : ig-platform-id = "0x59120003" , IntelGFX= "0x59128086" ,Enabled "Inject Intel" , now how can i check if i have full quicksync or not ?

I have attached my config.plist also : config.plist

It's strange because I can't see the HD 630 on the System's information while using your config.plist... Did you see it ? What is you primary boot device?

Hi,
I have an Apple Cinema Display 24" with DisplayPort adapter. (It works native: cam, mic, audio, rear USB.)
If I boot with primary boot device on AUTO in BIOS (Monitor connect to DisplayPort of motherboard), my system doesn't boot (I don't see any image on display).
If I set primary display on IGP, than I can boot but I have kernel panic.

I solved the problem with boot argument
-disablegfxfirmware

in ig-platform-id, "0x19120000"
in IntelGFX, "0x59128086"

I hope you can solve

Sorry but there is a problem in my procedure.

but I noticed that with 0x1920000 there is HD630 in system information
with 0x1920003 there is not information.

(I'm trying High Sierra with new file system, and I can say that the system is running like Sierra. The great and only problem is the missing Nvidia Pascal driver for 10.13. There is a workaround for have the Nvida working partially, but too lag!)

Last edited:
An easy way to confirm if Quick Sync is enabled would be use MacX Video Converter. You can get the free version at: https://www.macxdvd.com/mac-video-converter-free/

Click on the Info button to see if hardware encoding is enabled:
View attachment 277383
It's strange because I can't see the HD 630 on the System's information while using your config.plist... Did you see it ? What is you primary boot device?
Yes in my case it is not shown in system info. but it is there under istate-menu and also in macx video converter there is intel option is there under hardware encoding is there as in this reply :

Sorry, I've been dealing with some family issues the last week or two and haven't had time to login here at all...

I'll try out using the HD 630 soon and report back...

Hi there,
I'm sorry for the newbie question but I've searched and can't find an answer.
I would love to make this build but as I wish to make a build for purely pro audio (pro tools, uad etc) I need thunderbolt 2 but not a £500 graphics card. Can I substitute the expensive graphics card for a cheap but long lasting card?

I think to keep my studio running I'll make a dual boot and run the studio off the windows OS until I get the hackintosh OS working well.
Again apologies but any advice very appreciated

The GENE does not support Thunderbolt as it does not have a header for the ASUS ThunderboltEXII or 3 add on PCIe card.

If you want an ASUS Z100 series motherboard that supports Thunderbolt, see the ASUS ThunderboltEX II and 3 website support pages for a list of the supported motherboards. See below.

MyHero build's Z170 VIII HERO motherboard supports the ThunderboldEX 3 (see my signature block). I contemplated getting that card plus the Starcraft Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter. But, decided that my audio recording needs didn't require a Thunderbolt interface.

Good luck!
ThunderboltEX 3 supportsThunderboltEX II supports
Z170-PREMIUMX99-DELUXE
Z170-DELUXEX99-DEULXE/U3.1
Z170-PROMAXIMUS VI EXTREME
Z170-ASABERTOOTH Z87
Z170-ARZ87-PRO
SABERTOOTH Z170 MARK 1Z87-PRO(V EDITION)
SABERTOOTH Z170 SZ87-PLUS
MAXIMUS VIII EXTREMEZ87-PLUS(VivoMouse EDITION)
MAXIMUS VIII HEROZ87-PLUS(VivoMouse EDITION)
MAXIMUS VIII RANGERZ87-A
X99-DELUXE IIZ87-A(NFC EXPRESS EDITION)
X99-DELUXEMAXIMUS VII FORMULA
X99-PRO/USB 3.1SABERTOOTH Z97 MARK 1
X99-PROSABERTOOTH Z97 MARK 1/USB 3.1
X99-A/USB 3.1SABERTOOTH Z97 MARK 2
X99-ASABERTOOTH Z97 MARK 2/USB 3.1
X99-A IIGRYPHON Z97
X99-EGRYPHON Z97 ARMOR EDITION
SABERTOOTH X99Z97-PRO
RAMPAGE V EXTREME/U3.1Z97-PRO (Wi-Fi ac)
RAMPAGE V EXTREMEZ97-PRO (Wi-Fi ac)/USB 3.1
Z97-A
Z97-A/USB 3.1
Z97-AR

Hi there,
I'm sorry for the newbie question but I've searched and can't find an answer.
I would love to make this build but as I wish to make a build for purely pro audio (pro tools, uad etc) I need thunderbolt 2 but not a £500 graphics card. Can I substitute the expensive graphics card for a cheap but long lasting card?

I think to keep my studio running I'll make a dual boot and run the studio off the windows OS until I get the hackintosh OS working well.
Again apologies but any advice very appreciated

You can use any Mac compatible video card you like. If you wish to keep things as simple as possible, most of the Nvidia 600-series cards are natively supported by macOS. Just stay away from the GT 610 as that is no longer supported.

My system has been running without any problems. I finally got round to doing some of your Tweaks for perfection. I did the Rename Devices and Enable IGPU for QuickSync. Checked the changes, saved and rebooted. I had a different Clover theme on the boot window, and when it rebooted, after the Apple logo and progress bar, I got a black screen with a white circle and a diagonal slash through the circle. I get the same result if I try to boot from my cloned backup, but strangely that showed a different Clover boot window theme.

I'm guessing the problem is in Clover's config.plist. If so, I think I'll have to boot from the install USB and use terminal to copy in a backup of config.plist. Is that what I need to do?

@pastrychef :
Did you kept all the fixes in DSDT from clover's default config file ?
Mine is still full of :

Code:
<key>Fixes</key>
            <dict>
                <key>AddDTGP_0001</key>
                <true/>
                <key>AddHDMI_8000000</key>
                <true/>
                <key>AddPNLF_1000000</key>
                <true/>
                <key>DeleteUnused_400000</key>
                <true/>