Contribute
Register

pastrychef's build - Asus Maximus VIII Gene - i7-7700K - GTX 1080

Status
Not open for further replies.
Try Advanced/CPU Configuration/Intel Virtualization Technology

Hi there,
I have almost an identical setup to this build except I got a GTX 980Ti. I am having issues with getting graphics support. I have previously gotten this to work but when I did a system restore something seems to be up. I am enclosing my config.plist below, I have 10.12.5 (16F73), Web Driver 378.05.05.15f01, and have installed the AGDPfix v1.3. Does it matter how I set the primarily display in the bios? Anything else to check?

One other thing I've noticed is that my graphics card shows up as nvidia chip model 8 MB instead of the GTX 980Ti. Also I can't seem to force my computer into a black screen state which I have previously experienced allows you to apply the AGP fix. The computer seems insensitive to which nvidia settings that I set in the config.plist. For example I don't see any noticeable changes setting nvda_drv=1, nv_disable=1, or NvidiaWeb.

Thanks so much!

Attachments

• config.plist
    7.2 KB · Views: 245
Last edited:
Hi.

Which version of BIOS are you using? Anything newer than version 2202 will require that you install the EmuVariableUEFI-64.efi+RC scripts.

Do you have the Intel HD 530 enabled in BIOS? For troubleshooting's sake, I would suggest disabling it until you have the GTX 980 Ti issues sorted out.

Also, in your config.plist, in the Devices section, you have many properties. On my config.plist, I only have the AAPL,GfxYTile one.

Hi.

Which version of BIOS are you using? Anything newer than version 2202 will require that you install the EmuVariableUEFI-64.efi+RC scripts.

Do you have the Intel HD 530 enabled in BIOS? For troubleshooting's sake, I would suggest disabling it until you have the GTX 980 Ti issues sorted out.

Also, in your config.plist, in the Devices section, you have many properties. On my config.plist, I only have the AAPL,GfxYTile one.

I ran into issues with the bios before so I am running version 2202 currently. Which RC scripts do you mean? I was looking at the latest multibeast installer and there is now an option that has emulated NVRAM. I tried for the heck of it resetting my whole EFI folder, using multibeast 9.1 to add the options you suggest at the top of your post, added the suggested devices line, and restarted without any luck. Thanks so much for the help!

If you are using BIOS version 2202, you do not need emulated NVRAM.

Do you have the HD 530 disabled in BIOS?

You said you did a restore. How did you restore? Are you sure you installed all the needed kexts?

If you are using BIOS version 2202, you do not need emulated NVRAM.

Do you have the HD 530 disabled in BIOS?

You said you did a restore. How did you restore? Are you sure you installed all the needed kexts?

Okay thanks, so the emulated NVRAM is not the issue. I have the primary display set to auto and iGPU multimonitor set to disabled, is that how I disable the HD 530?

I was getting random crashes with my hackintosh constantly and it turned out to be the default timings of the ram were not set correctly but unfortunately before I got to that point, I did the following:
1) Formatted the drive
2) Reinstalled the OS from scratch
3) Used a second mac to delete the mac partition and restore and previously saved sparsebundle when I had everything working.
4) Delete files out of EFI
5) Copy files from a previously working EFI
6) Updated to 10.12.5 because the graphics acceleration was broken anyway
7) Installed new nvidia drivers
8) Installed AGP fix

3) Used a second mac to delete the mac partition and restore and previously saved sparsebundle when I had everything working.
4) Delete files out of EFI
5) Copy files from a previously working EFI
6) Updated to 10.12.5 because the graphics acceleration was broken anyway
7) Installed new nvidia drivers
8) Installed AGP fix

This should have produced at least the ability for you to log in to macOS... The only thing I can suggest is to double check that the hackintosh specific kexts are installed in /L/E and/or /S/L/E.

One other thing you may want to try is to check your NVRAM... Launch Terminal and enter:
Code:
nvram -p

You can also clear nvram in case it's corrupt by entering:
Code:
nvram -c

Long term report:

It’s official! My hackintosh build turned one year old!

Last year, I walked in to this having zero knowledge or experiences with hackintoshes. Thanks to all the great people here, I got my system up and running in short order and this machine has grown on me to become one of my favorite Macs of all time.

Through the year, I went from GTX 980 to GTX 1080, El Capitan to Sierra and all the updates in between. Generally, all the updates went smoothly. The only major issue, I encountered was with the most recent update where sleep/wake was acting strangely after the update. But a little bit of tweaking and sleep/wake is working better than ever. By that, I mean wakes seem faster and power nap and wake-on-LAN are working flawlessly.

This build has really exceeded all my expectations. Like most newcomers would probably expect, I thought there would be more tweaking involved and at least some compromises. While, some tweaking was required, it wasn’t anything overwhelming. As for compromises, none that really matter to me.

Some of the most common issues others have faced, sleep/wake, iBooks, Quick Sync, iMessage/Handoff/Continuity, all work (see images below). I don’t know if I simply got lucky with my choice of motherboards or if other Z170 motherboards work equally as well, but I can say that this Gene motherboard has fantastic and I have no problems recommending it to others.

Screen Shot 2017-07-06 at 3.31.54 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-04-02 at 5.33.26 AM.png Screen Shot 2017-06-01 at 8.04.07 AM.png

I look forward to Sierra 10.12.6 for Kaby Lake support (I picked up an i7-7700K cheap…) and High Sierra in the coming months.

Once again, thanks to everyone on this site!!!

Btw, to those wondering, macOS High Sierra Beta boots up fine with no changes needed to my EFI folder or config.plist, albeit without any graphics acceleration due to lack of Nvidia web drivers.
Screen Shot 2017-07-06 at 12.53.37 PM.png

For those who wish to try, follow directions here to get access to the beta:
macOS High Sierra Public Beta is Now Available | tonymacx86.com

Follow directions here to create the USB installer:
How to Create a macOS High Sierra Public Beta Installation USB | tonymacx86.com

Last edited:
Congrats!

How did you get iBooks working?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back