Contribute
Register

pastrychef's build - Asus Maximus VIII Gene - i7-7700K - GTX 1080

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have updated to 10.12.3 without any issue and without pulling of my 980ti.
I used the agpdfix as usual and I'm with iMac 17,1

AGDPfix worked for you??? Did you use 1.0 or 1.3?

Edit: You are right, it works with AGDPfix 1.3. I previously tried only 1.0 and it did not work. Thanks!

Last edited:
My guess is that the USR ports are used for USB 3.1.

Each motherboard is different, that's why each has to be mapped individually. On our motherboard, it's 20 plus the USR ports.

I already did all the mapping and have provided the .asl and .aml files HERE.

Yes, I still use USBinjectAll.kext.

The only ACPI patch I have is for audio.

I'm working on building a FCPX editing machine and a NAS to offload all of that data. 1 gig ethernet won't cut it and I saw you had managed to get a 10 gige solution working. I went over to SolarFlare's website to take a look at the driver support and I wanted to see if you have noticed any compatibility issues with the older drivers with Sierra before I pull the trigger? I still haven't figured out amongst the forum what the right decision about about graphics cards are for FCPX since it sounds like currently the latest version of FCPX has bonked everyone. Definitely would like to hear about the SolarFare as they are very affordable and about the cheapest fast connection I can find since Apple seems to have abandoned everything outside of Thunderbolt and I haven't found any solutions out there that would let me connect a Thunderbolt connection to anything resembling a DIY NAS or DAS.

I've been using SolarFlare's signed drivers since macOS 10.11.x to the most recent version of Sierra without any issues. I used this same SolarFlare card in my old MacPro5,1 and transferred it to my hackintosh and it just worked. Never had to do anything special other than installing the drivers.

I've been using SolarFlare's signed drivers since macOS 10.11.x to the most recent version of Sierra without any issues. I used this same SolarFlare card in my old MacPro5,1 and transferred it to my hackintosh and it just worked. Never had to do anything special other than installing the drivers.

Excellent I picked one up and a Mellanox for NAS. Last thing now is sorting the graphics issue

Lol. I have a Mellanox for my DIY Synology clone too.

Generally, AMD cards are better for FCPX...

Lol. I have a Mellanox for my DIY Synology clone too.

Generally, AMD cards are better for FCPX...

Yeah there is good linux driver support for the mellanox cards and they are cheaper than the SolarFlare cards. Based on the Graphics Card threads the Radeon support in FCPX latest is creating problems such that it won't launch so I'm kind of waiting it out to see what happens.

Yeah there is good linux driver support for the mellanox cards and they are cheaper than the SolarFlare cards. Based on the Graphics Card threads the Radeon support in FCPX latest is creating problems such that it won't launch so I'm kind of waiting it out to see what happens.

I was unaware of problems with Radeons and FCPX. Can you please provide a link? I'd like to read a bit about it...

Here's a thread discussing FCPX performance with different video cards:
Final Cut Pro X FCPX Graphic Card performance | Page 20 | tonymacx86.com

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/final-cut-pro-x-10-3-crash.211095/ and its being discussed in the radeon testing thread for the rx 480 cards. I've seen several comments around about crashing problems with fcpx 10.3.2 . Its keeping on the fence about what graphics card to purchase for my system. I'm not picky about how long the render times are as long as its "relatively stable" and the editing remains smooth. I'm intrigued by your Synology clone. I'm currently converting a xserve raid to by my NAS , and haven't picked a solution for the system. I was desperately hoping to figure out a way to treat it more like a DAS and use Thunderbolt 3 but it doesn't seem I've had any luck on the linux side finding anything that would really work for that and I need hardware raid support to handle all 14 drives so that leaves out running it as a hackintosh.

There are only a few people on that thread... One guy mentioned that he fixed it by doing a clean install of everything. This leads me to think it's just something with their specific setups. As you can see from the video card FCPX performance thread, lots of people are running FCPX without issues.

If you are not looking to shave every millisecond off of your export times, the Nvidia cards work well. On hackintoshes, they are probably the best choice in general at the moment.

I love my Synology clone. I built mine around a CPU that has a TDP of 17W (ASRock C2550D4I motherboard) to keep it as efficient and cool as possible. I used a SilverStone DS380 case that has 8 hot swap bays. Total cost of my build was about $410-430 not including drives. I use SHR2 on my array for dual disk redundancy. The directions and tools to get the Synology DSM up and running can be found at:
XPEnology NAS • View topic - XPEnoboot 5.2-5967.1 (17/07/2016)

If you need, you can configure it for iSCSI which would make it appear as local drive on your client. I personally don't see any disadvantages to using this rather than a DAS.

In my opinion, the old Xserves are poor choices to build a NAS around unless you the Xeons to run other apps. They suck down a lot of power, generate lots of heat, and are noisy as heck. The one thing they have going for them is that they are gorgeous aesthetically. I remember seeing a rack of them in one of CNN's server rooms, they are things of beauty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back