Contribute
Register

pastrychef's build - Asus Maximus VIII Gene - i7-7700K - GTX 1080

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've put together a visual layout of the USB ports.
gene usb ports.jpg

* Note: Internal USB2 header, port hs14 is used by my bcm94360cd card for Bluetooth functionality.

IORegistryExplorer sees 26 ports:
Screen Shot 2016-08-22 at 3.29.12 AM.png

We need to reduce this down to 15 or less. To do this, we add a boot argument to our config.plist.

For example, if we want to disable hs09, hs10, ss09, and ss10, we add:
Code:
uia_exclude=HS09;HS10;SS09;SS10

Last edited:
I've put together a visual layout of the USB ports.
View attachment 207773
* Note: Internal USB2 header, port hs14 is used by my bcm94360cd card for Bluetooth functionality.

IORegistryExplorer sees 26 ports:
View attachment 207775
We need to reduce this down to 15 or less. To do this, we add a boot argument to our config.plist.

For example, if we want to disable hs09, hs10, ss09, and ss10, we add:
Code:
uia_exclude=HS09;HS10;SS09;SS10

thank you my friend.
i would have make the post today, cause lack of time.
one question:
you suggest this command: sudo pmset -a autopoweroff 0

but now my hack doesn't sleep automatically.
what's the command to revert it?

maybe sudo pmset -a autopoweroff 1?

thank you my friend.
i would have make the post today, cause lack of time.
one question:
you suggest this command: sudo pmset -a autopoweroff 0

but now my hack doesn't sleep automatically.
what's the command to revert it?

maybe sudo pmset -a autopoweroff 1?

No prob. I am glad to contribute too. ;)

The "sudo pmset -a autopoweroff 0" prevents the system from shutting down on it's own. If you set autopoweroff to 1, your system will shut down after a set amount of time (defined by autopoweroffdelay).

You can see your settings by launching System Information (formerly known as System Profiler) and clicking on "Power" on the left portion of the window.
Screen Shot 2016-08-22 at 4.19.33 AM.png

This should not affect your sleep in any way.

Could you say a little about the choice of RAM speed? Why the 3400 beyond a "faster is better"? I've read that due to voltage considerations, faster RAM can limit other overclocking aspects of the CPU depending upon the mobo. But that might not be a consideration for this series of ASUS board. And I could have it all wrong.

My Hack is my photo/video station and it is getting long in the tooth. I'm inspired by you and Stork to return to ASUS for a next build. Making plans...

To be perfectly honest, I just looked for the fastest available at the time and clicked buy. I have not noticed the speed of my RAM limiting the overclocking of the CPU. I currently have the RAM running at 3466MHz and the CPU at 4.7GHz. Everything has been smooth sailing.

At the moment, I'm trying get my uptime to 30 days to show how stable this system is running (I'm on day 10). I've just been relying on sleep during periods of inactivity and using the system as I would normally. The only thing that I can see that can deter me from reaching 30 days is the need to boot in to Windows or something...

Cool. And that has you Geekbenching around 21,7k? Much more importantly, does your overclock work with both MacPro and iMac ID's? Via BIOS?

Prior to installing my 7970 3gb card for better FCPX performance, I had a lowly GTX 760. My FCPX is way smoother with the 7970 but I had to change to an iMac 13,2 ID from my MacPro 3,1 with the GTX. The MacPro designation allowed me to easily overclock via BIOS whereas the iMac ID wouldn't. That put me down the rabbit hole of various Power Management threads - ultimately unsuccessful (likely due to just getting really hackin-tired.)

I went from 15700 with a stable 4.5ghz overclock on my 3770k back to 12,7k at 3.5ghz speeds - performance wash. *sad face*

I prefer the BIOS and overclocking interface of the ASUS boards. Hopeful that would solve some of this on the front end. Leery that I would make the leap and if I stick with the 7970, run into the same issues with overclocking on the system ID and OSX side...

Edit: and I see folks are getting 22-25 seconds on BruceX with a GTX970 - same as what I'm getting with my 7970. If that would allow me to head back to a 3,1 and my overclock... hmmm...

Last edited:
Yes, my overclock works on all the system definitions I've tried. Yes, my Geekbench score is very consistent and always in that range. It's weird that your system wouldn't allow you to overclock on an iMac definition.

Yes, I like the Asus bios setup too. I have not had any problems with the bios.

The El Capitan versions of the Nvidia web drivers improved Final Cut Pro X performance greatly compared to previous versions of their web drivers. This thread documented the improvements. One member reported 14.62 seconds on BruceX with a Titan X here. AMD cards still outperform Nvidia in FCPX but at least Nvidia gives respectable results now.

super helpful. thank you.

I'd love it if that first thread had a few more comparables. Think I'm clear to await the Sierra release and see what develops. Take a plunge shortly thereafter.

But I'm hopeful the Nvidia performance increases continue to bear out. 1) it's just easier for the hacks, 2) better for DaVinci Resolve, 3) better for Capture One. It's just FCPX which is my main money maker...

Yes, my overclock works on all the system definitions I've tried. Yes, my Geekbench score is very consistent and always in that range. It's weird that your system wouldn't allow you to overclock on an iMac definition.

Yes, I like the Asus bios setup too. I have not had any problems with the bios.

The El Capitan versions of the Nvidia web drivers improved Final Cut Pro X performance greatly compared to previous versions of their web drivers. This thread documented the improvements. One member reported 14.62 seconds on BruceX with a Titan X here. AMD cards still outperform Nvidia in FCPX but at least Nvidia gives respectable results now.

Last edited:
Hopefully, Sierra will give us support for AMD RX 480 and Nvidia GTX 1060-1080 support. From what I've read, there's compelling reason to give the RX 480 a shot. It's priced extremely competitively vs Nvidia's offerings and will most probably be well supported by macOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back