Contribute
Register

pastrychef's build - Asus Maximus VIII Gene - i7-7700K - GTX 1080

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I was wondering if this setup would also work on other Asus motherboards with b150 chipsets. I just bought a Asus B150M-A motherboard and wondering if I can install a Mac OS on it.

Here's my build:
-------------------------
http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/asus-b150m-a-motherboar-support.200731/

I can't say for certain since I've never tried, but if I had guess and place a bet, I would say it should work. Be sure to set the bios settings as closely as you can to how it's listed in the first post. Use UniBeast and MultiBeast they really help simplify the process a lot. As Stork noted in your thread, choose the correct kexts when doing the post install part with MultiBeast.

I just finished converting three Blu-ray discs in to m4v files. Seven straight hours of the CPU being pegged at 100% and the system didn't skip a beat. I just went about doing its business and did so very quietly. This system impresses me more and more every day.

Last edited:
Could you say a bit more about your disinterest in the MacPro 6,1 designation?

Curious as I'm anticipating using Davinci Resolve more - perhaps on equal footing with FCPX - and more VRAM is the ticket for Resolve. I'm inclined toward dual RX480's (presuming support under Sierra) and apparently the MacPro 6,1 is the designation to get proper performance from dual AMD GPU's.

The main reason I haven't considered using the MacPro6,1 system definition is because my hardware, Z170 w/ i7-6700K, most closely resembles the hardware of the iMac17,1.

I haven't done any reading on the subject, but I don't see why system definition would play any role in how FCPX utilizes GPUs. As far as I know, MacPro3,1-5,1s have no problems utilizing their GPUs with FCPX. This includes use of dual AMD GPUs. I would assume the same would be true even if you use an iMac system definition.

From what I understand, Resolve benefits greatly from GPUs with CUDA support. I've read of Mac Pro users who have jury rigged 3 or more Nvidia graphics cards to capitalize on this. The downside, of course, is that Nvidia GPUs don't perform as well as AMD GPUs for FCPX. However, that's not to say you can not get very respectable performance in FCPX with powerful Nvidia cards.

Here is a user who completed the BruceX benchmark in 14.62 seconds with an Nvidia Titan X.

Yeah, I'm familiar with the FCPX/OpenCL and Resolve/CUDA "conflict" and I've prioritized AMD as FCPX is what I currently use most.

This thread is where I happened upon the emphasis on a 6,1 designation and rereading it, I don't anyone is saying multiple cards won't be recognized, but that the 6,1 is better optimized for dual cards, particularly AMDs.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/final-cut-pro-x-resolve.200965/

I'm not interested in throwing down for a Titan X when shortly RX 480s *should* be supported for much less $$. Frankly, I will need to see how much I really start turning toward Resolve before I would make the two-card jump.

I'm using a 13,2 designation (for my 3770K) and with my 7970, BruceX is about 27 seconds. Good for now.

Ah. Thanks for the link. It seems the limitations might be put in place deliberately by Blackmagic Design.

I'm currently trying to get my uptime up to 30 days (I'm on day 21). But I may cut it short to do some updates that require restarts. I can test out the MacPro6,1 definition for you when I end my uptime test. My guess is that it should work...

Didn't make it to 30 days uptime... Had to install some updates that required reboots... But 21 days uptime should be sufficient to demonstrate stability.

Also, I updated to El Capitan 10.11.6 (15G1004) via App Store without any problems. Screen Shot 2016-09-05 at 5.58.08 AM.pngScreen Shot 2016-09-05 at 9.10.35 AM.png

Interesting hypothesis re. a limit placed by BMD - could be right.

Thanks, but don't go out of your way to test the 6,1 - I can do that if/when I get there. I was just curious about your disinclination.

Ah. Thanks for the link. It seems the limitations might be put in place deliberately by Blackmagic Design.

I'm currently trying to get my uptime up to 30 days (I'm on day 21). But I may cut it short to do some updates that require restarts. I can test out the MacPro6,1 definition for you when I end my uptime test. My guess is that it should work...

I upgraded to Sierra a few hours ago. I'm using the iMac14,2 system definition. All seems to be working except for the motherboard audio. I tried the iMac17,1 definition but the black screen fix doesn't seem to be working.

I used the following procedure to upgrade:

1. I disabled some USB ports to cut my total USB count to 15 as described HERE
Note: I did not need the SSDT-USB.aml file. I just added the uia_exclude= command in the config.plist. Prior to doing this, some of my USB devices on my USB hub was not seen.
2. Followed directions from Direct Update to macOS Sierra using Clover | tonymacx86.com
Note: I had to check (1) without cache, (2) verbose, and (3) inject kexts for the installation to complete.​

3. Installed latest beta of the Nvidia web drivers.

For the time being, I'm using USB sound until a new fix is found. As I mentioned above, the config.plist black screen patch for iMac17,1 definition is also not working. These are the only two issues I've encountered in my brief testing.

Screen Shot 2016-09-21 at 3.08.21 AM.png

Updates:

1. As Stork suggested, using toledo's latest audio fix restored the motherboard audio. http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/sierra-desktop-realtek-applehda-audio.197923/

2. If you are using the iMac17,1 definition, do not use the Clover KextsToPatch method to fix the Black Screen Issue. Instead, use ADGPfix 1.3.

3. Everything else seems to be working as well as it was with El Capitan.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back