Contribute
Register

pastrychef's build - Asus Maximus VIII Gene - i7-7700K - GTX 1080

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those who are using the iMac17,1 system definition, there is now new black screen fix that is simpler to use and should survive through macOS updates. The information is posted on the 03-01-2017 update section of post #1 on:
Black Screen with MacPro 6,1 or iMac 15 or iMac 17 System Definition | tonymacx86.com

How to install:
  1. Download Lilu from: Releases · vit9696/Lilu · GitHub
  2. Download NvidiaGraphicsFixup from: NvidiaGraphicsFixup download | SourceForge.net
  3. Extract both and copy the kexts to /EFI/Clover/kexts/Other

That's all there is to it. Enjoy the iMac17,1 system definition.

Just to be clear, using these two kexts means that you will no longer need to use the ADGPfix.

Thanks to vit9696 and lvs1974 for Lilu and NvidiaGraphicsFixup!! Thanks to shiloh for all your work and great writeup!!
Will this cause you to switch to iMac17,1 or will you continue using iMac14,2?

I've been using iMac17,1 since I fixed iMessage/Continuity/Handoff. It has been solid. I've always preferred iMac17,1 because it matches my hardware the most. It would probably also mean longer macOS update support from Apple. ;)

Will this cause you to switch to iMac17,1 or will you continue using iMac14,2?
I bump into that question...
What are the advantages/disadvantages of 14.2 vs 17.1? Is the Skylake thing the only reason to switch? Myself, I still use the 3.1 and I like it, that under "About that Mac" it's stated Mac Pro.
If I switch, I assume, that you'll have the iMac name. Because of my G5/MacPro case... that's not an option ;-)
So, can you use the 14.2/17.1 and still have a MacPro naming?

I bump into that question...
What are the advantages/disadvantages of 14.2 vs 17.1? Is the Skylake thing the only reason to switch? Myself, I still use the 3.1 and I like it, that under "About that Mac" it's stated Mac Pro....
See Post #1, after the installation section for the pluses and minuses of each SysDef. I'm still using iMac14,2 as I see no reason, yet, to change.

I only reason to switch from iMac14,2 for Sierra is something (?) is not working. Again, see Post #1's SysDef comparisons.

MacPro3,1 can not be used with Sierra because Apple no longer supports the 2008 Mac Pro (3,1) with Sierra.

Part of what makes me feel 17,1 is better is precisely to match Skylake to Skylake.

Although I have never experienced this anomaly on this build, on my HP 8300 (Ivy Bridge system), when I switched from iMac13,2 (Ivy Bridge) to iMac14,2 (Haswell), it lost its ability to enter Turbo mode. So, there are some under the hood functions that can benefit from having everything as closely matched as possible.

Once all the cons in the system definitions comparison were fixed, I didn't hesitate to switch. My last hurdle was really getting iMessage/Continuity/Handoff working with 17,1. This new Black Screen fix just makes future updates easier. At this point, there really are no disadvantages to using 17,1 and having a more closely matched chipset platform (Skylake to Skylake) can only be a good thing.

I'm still using iMac14,2 with the i5 power management SSDT. (I take it you're also using the i7 power management SSDT.) I have iMessage working but haven't tried Continuity/Handoff as I don't use it.

So, I'm following your trials and tribulations as you get iMac17,1 working. Since you have a 4K monitor, I can understand why you'd like to get the iMac17,1 SysDef working. (Latest iMacs have 4/5K monitors.) BTW, keep up the good work on your exploring our hackintosh world. :thumbup: I frequently look at your Post #1 updates for new insights.

Last edited:
Yes, being late to game, I have far more to learn than many of the others...

Yes, I use an ssdt.aml created with ssdtPRGen.sh. I remember when creating the ssdt, ssdtPRGen.sh complained about the system definition. It probably didn't matter, but when I changed to 17,1, I recreated a new one.

Topic from left field:
The newer versions of Clover and Clover Configurator has added a cool feature in the ACPI section that allows us to easily rename some ACPI devices. Although, I have not seen any ill effects at all from not renaming anything on this build, I figured it wouldn't hurt to make things as close to the real thing as possible...

In this thread, shilohh informs us that:
Screen Shot 2017-03-07 at 1.09.11 PM.png

Checking IORegistryExplorer, I saw that my HD 530 was named as GFX0 and my GTX 980 was name PEGP. So, I renamed my HD 530 to IGPU and my GTX 980 to GFX0. I also renamed a few other things...
Screen Shot 2017-03-07 at 1.15.57 PM.png

Again, I had never experienced any ill effects and/or incompatibilities by not doing the renaming. I just did so for the heck of it in an attempt to make everything as close to the real thing as possible.

Can you advise on what the BIOS Boot>CSM (Compatibility Support Module) setting should be for this Mobo - Auto, Enabled or Disabled?

Can you advise on what the BIOS Boot>CSM (Compatibility Support Module) setting should be for this Mobo - Auto, Enabled or Disabled?

I have mine set to Disabled, but Enabled also worked fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back