Contribute
Register

pastrychef's build - Asus Maximus VIII Gene - i7-7700K - GTX 1080

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read somewhere that iGPU enabled in BIOS helps with PM but I'm skeptic. I was able to boot using MacPro1,1 with iGPU disabled but there's no difference with power management. Same CPU frequencies as iMac17,1.

I have never heard that enabling IGPU has any affect on power management.

I only have access to an i3-6100 at the moment... At least it's still Skylake... I'll try taking a look at how it behaves a little later.

I read somewhere that iGPU enabled in BIOS helps with PM but I'm skeptic. I was able to boot using MacPro1,1 with iGPU disabled but there's no difference with power management. Same CPU frequencies as iMac17,1.

Here is my Skylake box running iMac17,1 system definition with CPU power management working with just PluginType=true. You can see that CPU frequency dropped down to 792MHz.

Screen Shot 2019-10-28 at 1.31.59 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-10-28 at 1.30.41 PM.png

Last edited:
That's odd. Not sure why my computer is running at around 2GHz at idle. Could it have something to do with using my original MacBook Pro serial number, UUID, etc. on my hackintosh? The only difference between my hack and mbp is the system definition.

That's odd. Not sure why my computer is running at around 2GHz at idle. Could it have something to do with using my original MacBook Pro serial number, UUID, etc. on my hackintosh? The only difference between my hack and mbp is the system definition.

I don't know. I've never used real Mac serial on a hack and it's frowned upon here.

Look to see what processes are running. It's possible that something is running in the background that's preventing the CPU from going to lower power states.

I don't know. I've never used real Mac serial on a hack and it's frowned upon here.

It's my macbook pro so nothing illegal but let me generate keys using iMac17,1.

Look to see what processes are running. It's possible that something is running in the background that's preventing the CPU from going to lower power states.

I already tried on different drive with clean macOS for testing. Same result.

Will let you know after I test it with new keys.

It's my macbook pro so nothing illegal but let me generate keys using iMac17,1.

I already tried on different drive with clean macOS for testing. Same result.

Will let you know after I test it with new keys.

Remember to also look in Activity Monitor for any rouge processes running wild...

I was close but no cigar for me.. From what I have observed, using keys or serial number which doesn't match the system definition can confuse macOS and system misidentification which can affect the performance or stability. I was using my MacBook Pro's serial number in my hackintosh with iMac17,1 but the macOS on hackintosh reported it as MacBook Pro and not iMac. It was idling at around 3 Ghz until I generated the correct serial number for the system definition and it brought down the idle speed to around 1 Ghz. So simply changing the system definition without changing the serial number does no good.

Clover is little better since it's sticking around 2 Ghz as compared to 3 GHz before.

OpenCore is much better as its sticking around 1 GHz and it seems more stable.

I still have no clue why it's still hovering above 800 mhz while idling. Probably need further tweaking in OC, Clover, kexts or drivers to get desired result.

Can you post your EFI from your Skylake box?

Attachments

• Clover 2019-10-28.png
    Clover 2019-10-28.png
    59.4 KB · Views: 122
  • OpenCore 2019-10-28.png
    OpenCore 2019-10-28.png
    69.4 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
I was not able to get it to stay idle at 800 MHz long enough so I think it was Apple's design for 6700K. Therefore, I don't believe there is anything more I can do from this point unless if someone found a better solution or fix. I think what I did was good enough.

I was not able to get it to stay idle at 800 MHz long enough so I think it was Apple's design for 6700K. Therefore, I don't believe there is anything more I can do from this point unless if someone found a better solution or fix. I think what I did was good enough.

When you look in IORegistryExplorer > X86PlatformPlugin > CPUPStates, how many power states do you see? On my i9-9900K, I see 42.

Screen Shot 2019-10-29 at 12.11.32 AM.pngScreen Shot 2019-10-29 at 12.13.44 AM.png

When you look in IORegistryExplorer > X86PlatformPlugin > CPUPStates, how many power states do you see? On my i9-9900K, I see 42.

OpenCore doesn't have X86PlatformPlugin so I used AppleIntelInfo.kext. Here are the results:

First image is OpenCore and Second one is Clover using iMac17,1

OpenCore-imac17,1.png
Clover-imac17,1.png

As you can see that OpenCore mostly rest at 10 after briefly touching 8. Clover is at approx. 20 so there's significate gap there. Does this help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back