Contribute
Register

pastrychef's build - Asus Maximus VIII Gene - i7-7700K - GTX 1080

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just try setting the default boot drive from System Preferences > Startup Disk and see if it sticks across reboots.
I wiped the system and installed HS 10.13.6 17G66.

Went into startup disk and selected windows.

Rebooted and selected the Mac HDD in clover, and booted into High Sierra. I went back to sys prefs/ startup disk and it still had the windows hdd selected.

Can't figure out why updating High Sierra will break NVRAM though, if that's what's happening here.

I wiped the system and installed HS 10.13.6 17G66.

Went into startup disk and selected windows.

Rebooted and selected the Mac HDD in clover, and booted into High Sierra. I went back to sys prefs/ startup disk and it still had the windows hdd selected.

Can't figure out why updating High Sierra will break NVRAM though, if that's what's happening here.

Updating macOS should have no impact on NVRAM.

Only changing Aptio Memory fix should affect NVRAM.

Updating macOS should have no impact on NVRAM.

Only changing Aptio Memory fix should affect NVRAM.
NVRAM is working as confirmed below:

Waqys-iMac:~ waqy$ sudo -s

Password:

bash-3.2# sudo nvram -c

bash-3.2# sudo nvram myvar=test

bash-3.2# exit

exit

Waqys-iMac:~ waqy$

[Restored 23 Nov 2020 at 09:53:13]

Last login: Mon Nov 23 09:53:09 on console

Waqys-iMac:~ waqy$ nvram -p | grep -i myvar

myvar test
Waqys-iMac:~ waqy$
I'm going to try update the OS again, but I ran into a "can't load kernel cache 0x7" error when I did it yesterday.

I'm going to pull my hair out soon.

I installed High Sierra and got it up and running with the latest version of Clover. Managed to install Security Update 005.

Installed NVIDIA drivers and the graphics card is working.

I then tried to install update 006 but I was getting a firmware error.

After reading online someone suggested to change smbios to 14,2 to get the update installed.

I did this and 006 installed.

I now can't start the OS up and get the following error:

Error loading kernel cache (0x7)

DSC_0006.JPG

This is the same error I get regardless if I use OpenCore or Clover.

I checked nvram was working before I installed the update and it was working fine.

I'm going to pull my hair out soon.

I installed High Sierra and got it up and running with the latest version of Clover. Managed to install Security Update 005.

Installed NVIDIA drivers and the graphics card is working.

I then tried to install update 006 but I was getting a firmware error.

After reading online someone suggested to change smbios to 14,2 to get the update installed.

I did this and 006 installed.

I now can't start the OS up and get the following error:

Error loading kernel cache (0x7)

This is the same error I get regardless if I use OpenCore or Clover.

I checked nvram was working before I installed the update and it was working fine.

I've never seen this... But, no, you shouldn't use iMac14,2 system definition with this hardware.

Try adding "nv_disable=1" to boot argument when doing updates. Every update will break the Nvidia web drivers.

Try booting in to the Recovery partition and re-install macOS on top of your existing installation.

I've never seen this... But, no, you shouldn't use iMac14,2 system definition with this hardware.

Try adding "nv_disable=1" to boot argument when doing updates. Every update will break the Nvidia web drivers.

Try booting in to the Recovery partition and re-install macOS on top of your existing installation.
I'll give the recovery partition a go and see if I can install the OS back on top of it.

Thanks for the help.

Edit 1: IT WORKS!

I reinstalled High Sierra onto the hdd without formatting it, and I didn't install any Nvidia drivers this time. Kept the nv_disable=1 flag on and managed to install 2020-006 update and it booted successfully into High Sierra.

I'm now on build 17G14042 which I believe is the latest one!

Thanks for responding guys @pastrychef @P1LGRIM

Edit 2: It happened again. I did some Google'ing and ended up booting into Recovery and deleting the kernelcache. It successfully booted into High Sierra again after that, and I am currently typing this edit segment on it. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back