Contribute
Register

pastrychef's build - Asus Maximus VIII Gene - i7-7700K - GTX 1080

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, Stork!! :thumbup:

2. Followed directions from Direct Update to macOS Sierra using Clover | tonymacx86.com
Note: I had to check (1) without cache, (2) verbose, and (3) inject kexts for the installation to complete.​

View attachment 211137

That's for this pastrychef, i'm running Storks Hero build here and decided to take the plunge this afternoon. This little titbit allowed me to get past the spinning beach ball halfway through the installation. Other than a small graphical glitch in the top left corner which if I recall correctly seems to be normal for Sierra usingHD530 graphics, everything seems to be going good so far. Hopefully Nvidia will release drivers for my card (which I removed for the installation) and I can be back to normal soon. I might just break down and stick my older HD6870 card and for now as well.

Cheers

Glad I could help, clipper99. ;)

I, too, am waiting (and hoping) for Nvidia to support Pascal video cards with the web drivers. Hopefully, soon...

This looks great. Are you able to run the Luxmark GPU test to see if the 980 is OpenCL compatible? Thanks.

The latest Nvidia web drivers seems to have ironed out the bug that was causing the error when running the Luxmark benchmark.

Here's a screen shot from El Capitan with the error:
Screen Shot 2016-07-30 at 4.41.29 PM.png

Here's a screenshot using the latest Nvidia web driver on Sierra:
Screen Shot 2016-09-27 at 1.24.31 PM.png

I was reading about Fl0r!an's Little Mac Pro build and he did something very interesting that hadn't occurred to me. He used a discrete graphics card and enabled the Intel HD 530 for the purpose of using it's computational power. This resulted in increased OpenCL performance. This could be a big boost for users who use OpenCL enabled apps (re: Final Cut Pro X).

I decided to do the same and here are some benchmarks:

GTX 980 Only:
Screen Shot 2016-10-02 at 10.36.36 AM.png
GTX 980 + Intel HD 530:
Screen Shot 2016-10-02 at 10.43.53 AM.png
Notes:

1. Sleep/wake works fine with discrete graphics and HD 530 enabled when monitor is connected to the discrete graphics.
2. If you use VMware Fusion, disable "Accelerate 3D Graphics" setting for your virtual machine. Enabling it will result in a hard crash of the entire system. This is only true with discrete graphics and HD 530 enabled. If HD 530 is disabled, you do not need to worry about enabling "Accelerate 3D Graphics".

Fantastic build. I´ve seen you before at macrumors, and then again here, where I´m all new. After reading this, I think I´ll retire my Mac Pro, and build a system like yours.
I did my first "hack" two days ago, and it turned out well.

Fantastic build. I´ve seen you before at macrumors, and then again here, where I´m all new. After reading this, I think I´ll retire my Mac Pro, and build a system like yours.
I did my first "hack" two days ago, and it turned out well.

Hi! Welcome!

Thanks for the compliment. I really loved my Mac Pros but even the 5,1s are really showing their age. I waited for years for Apple to come up with a system that I could replace my 5,1 with but nothing appealed to me. When I found a PC that someone dumped, I experimented with hackintosh and realized that it wasn't as complicated as I had imagined and I took the plunge.

After having had my hackintosh running for 3 months now, I have to say that this system ranks up there as one of my favorite Macs of all time. The others being my Mac Pro 5,1, PowerMac G3 B&W, and PowerMac G4 MDD. In some ways, this system has worked better for me than my old Mac Pro (i.e. AirDrop, Continuity, etc never worked right for me on the 5,1).

Feel free to ask whatever questions you may have and I'll do my best to help. I'm always lurking around here or at macrumors. ;)

As of now the little rig runs smooth. I only did it to get som experience with hackintosh. No wifi as expected, as I´m using a incompatible Netgear USB dongle. Not a big deal right now. I´ll buy a compatible one, when it´s time to go all-in.
Only one cosmetic issue - Memory shows up as 1600 MHz, even though it´s 2133 MHz.
I know how to edit in Clover Configurator, but I´m afraid to overwrite the existing plist?
Btw: The ss is from yesterday - I´ve managed to get it to show correct memory size for the GTX :)

Attachments

• Skærmbillede 2016-10-04 kl. 04.34.38.png
    Skærmbillede 2016-10-04 kl. 04.34.38.png
    112.3 KB · Views: 133
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back