Contribute
Register

pastrychef's build - Asus Maximus VIII Gene - i7-7700K - GTX 1080

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I delete AHCI_3rdParty_SATA.kext, internal HDDs are seen as external.
The icon in the 'Get info' window is replaceable by copy and paste (click to select, cmd+c, cmd+v).

How to get Quick Sync working:

I see that you also have a gtx 1080 installed, does it mean u are using quick sync in a connector-less state and using nVidia for display? What are your BIOS settings for graphics? Auto/PEG/PCIE? Also can u confirm if quick sync is being used in Safari or Chrome or Firefox for something like YouTube. I noticed in my build that when I watch video over Youtube (or any media online or thru VLC) my CPU is doing software rendering rather than HW decoding which in turn shoots my cpu clock speeds to Turbo making it inefficient and hot. I assumed that MacOS doensn't rely on Maxwell and newer architecture for media HW accel. and maybe Quicksync can help to reduce the CPU stress

Yes, I don't have a monitor connected to the IGPU.

With BIOS 2202, I had Primary Display set to IGPU. With BIOS 3401, I have it set to:
170721213102.jpg

Here is my CPU and GPU usage when playing a 1080p video in VLC:

Screen Shot 2017-08-19 at 6.28.45 PM.png

Here is my CPU and GPU usage when playing this video in Safari:

Screen Shot 2017-08-19 at 6.32.27 PM.png

I posted about this in the "Quick Guide to generate a SSDT for Power Management" but haven't had a reply yet. Since it's a Gene following this guide, I hope it's OK in this forum.

I ran the beta branch of ssdtPRGen.sh and got these warning/error messages (my font highlighting):
Notice: Downloading Restrictions.cfg ...
Generating ssdt.dsl for a 'iMac14,2' with board-id [Mac-27ADBB7B4CEE8E61]
Kaby Lake Core i5-7600K processor [0x906E9] setup [0x0605]
With a maximum TDP of 95 Watt, as specified by Intel
Number logical CPU's: 4 (Core Frequency: 3800 MHz)
Number of Turbo States: 4 (3900-4200 MHz)
Number of P-States: 35 (800-4200 MHz)
Injected C-States for CPU0 (C1,C3,C6,C7,C8,C9,C10)
Injected C-States for CPU1 (C1,C2,C3,C6,C7)
Warning: 'cpu-type' may be set improperly (0x0605 instead of 0x0905)
- Clover users should read https://clover-wiki.zetam.org/Configuration/CPU#cpu_type
Error: board-id [Mac-27ADBB7B4CEE8E61] not supported by Kaby Lake – check SMBIOS data / use the -target option
Do you want to continue (y/n)? y
Warning: 'system-type' may be set improperly (1 instead of 2)
- Clover users should read https://clover-wiki.zetam.org/Configuration/ACPI#acpi_smartups
I notice that the TDP shows as 95 Watt, whereas the specs at https://ark.intel.com/products/97144/Intel-Core-i5-7600K-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-4_20-GHz show it as 91 Watt.

Also, I don't understand warning about cpu-type — is that the same as CPUID? And is the system-type warning serious? Overall, can I safely install the SSDT, which compiled without error?

On the first post of this thread (update #8), I noted that I have switched to using macOS Native CPU/IGPU Power Management | tonymacx86.com and no longer use the generated ssdt.aml. I have found this newer method to be better than using a generated ssdt.aml.

In regards to your questions about ssdt.aml, are you using macOS Sierra 10.12.6? Are you using FakeCPUID? Which system definition (aka SMBIOS) are you using?

From my understanding, the CPU-type warning is not too important and just used by "About this Mac".
The error and system-type seems to be indicating that you are using something other than iMac18,x which is what is expected for Kaby Lake.
I don't know why there's a discrepancy regarding the TDP.

On the first post of this thread (update #8), I noted that I have switched to using macOS Native CPU/IGPU Power Management | tonymacx86.com and no longer use the generated ssdt.aml. I have found this newer method to be better than using a generated ssdt.aml.

In regards to your questions about ssdt.aml, are you using macOS Sierra 10.12.6? Are you using FakeCPUID? Which system definition (aka SMBIOS) are you using?
Hi Pastrychef — as usual, I'm behind with monitoring changes and updates, so I hadn't noticed your change in power management. I just followed your steps in Update 8, and I'm up and running. Do I need to follow any of the steps in macOS Native CPU/IGPU Power Management | tonymacx86.com?

As for your other questions and comments, I am on 10.12.6, not using FakeCPUID, and using iMac14,2. Based on your post, I will try iMac18,3 (is ,3 suitable for my config?).

The steps I wrote in update #8 are essentially the same as on the original post, just simplified.

Yes, I think iMac18,3 should be fine. I suggest that you install Lilu.kext and NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext in /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/ if you will be using iMac18,3. These two kexts will fix the black screen issue when using this system definition.

The steps I wrote in update #8 are essentially the same as on the original post, just simplified.

Yes, I think iMac18,3 should be fine. I suggest that you install Lilu.kext and NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext in /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/ if you will be using iMac18,3. These two kexts will fix the black screen issue when using this system definition.

A busy few hours - learning! I did the iBooks fix, applied RehabMan's config.plist patches related to the latest USBInject All, and used Clover configurator to change to system definition 18,2. Configurator does't have i5-7600K, so I had the choice of iMac18,2 (i5-7500) or 18,3 (i7-7700K). I don't know what a mismatch would do, so I chose 18,2. But this leads to About this Mac saying it's iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5 inch, 2017). The rest of the information is OK. I guess with a bit of research I could edit config.plist to be more accurate.

And so far, everything seems fine. No black screens (haven't added the kexts you mentioned), sleep on command and wake OK, etc. Time will tell.

Many thanks.

Yes, I don't have a monitor connected to the IGPU.

With BIOS 2202, I had Primary Display set to IGPU. With BIOS 3401, I have it set to:

I'll check this out, I was under the impression I needed to only use 128 DVMT as many other sites only suggested that. I'll try this and see if my CPU is working efficiently. Btw, are those iStats screenshot? Also by any chance did you get the GPUSensor to work in FakeSMC plugins for GPU clocks/temps monitoring?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back