Contribute
Register

pastrychef's build - Asus Maximus VIII Gene - i7-7700K - GTX 1080

Status
Not open for further replies.
0x19120000 works for iBooks!!!

Also, BOTH graphics options show up in System Profiler! AND, the Intel IGPU is correctly identified as the 630! Amazing!

Amazon still reports HDCP issues... only a minor annoyance...

iTunes HDCP 'stuff' is just fine (so the dual-card didn't break that).

*sigh* - still can't get Sword Coast Legends to play. The intro video(s) are fine, but the actual gaming, no joy - all blocky color. Got a pointer to a possible solution?

Now to update my build...

Thanks @pastrychef !!!

Which BIOS version are you using?

Have you tried Firefox or Chrome for your Amazon videos?

I'm not on a Gene board. I have a Maximus IX HERO, so the BIOS rev is not going to be helpful here.

And, yes, I've tried both. I wish I knew WHERE the problem actually is. All my hardware is HDCP compliant to my knowledge.

Regarding the MacX VCP screenshot you posted, does that show the "Quick Sync" applied? I downloaded the trial version to compare and I don't get the green light on hardware encoding. I am, of course, using the nVidia web drivers with my card.

Is there another magic trick I'm missing?

Ah... I see... With your motherboard, do you see motherboard post screen with these settings? On the Gene with BIOS 2202, everything can be seen. I am curious because I plan to upgrade my i7-6700K to an i7-7700K very soon.

You have to choose either Quick Sync (ig-platform-id "0x19120001") or iBooks (ig-platform-id "0x19120000"). I was not able to find a solution that enabled both at the same time.

Ah... I see... With your motherboard, do you see motherboard post screen with these settings? On the Gene with BIOS 2202, everything can be seen. I am curious because I plan to upgrade my i7-6700K to an i7-7700K very soon.

You have to choose either Quick Sync (ig-platform-id "0x19120001") or iBooks (ig-platform-id "0x19120000"). I was not able to find a solution that enabled both at the same time.
No, I cannot see the POST, etc. HOWEVER, I'm going to try and set the Primary GPU to AUTO and see what happens...

...I plan to upgrade my i7-6700K to an i7-7700K very soon...
I am curious as to why you want to upgrade to a Kaby Lake processor. All the reviews I read on Kaby Lake stated (or implied) that, if you have a Skylake system, it's not worth the upgrade considering Coffee Lake is suppose to have much greater improvements.

Primary GPU to Auto. Can now see boot/post/Clover, etc. iBooks still works. I initially had the pixel glitch (where the icons/menu bar go rainbow pixels), but that mostly cleared up on its own, and restarting iBooks (I had it open on restart of the machine) cleaned up the main client area. The menu bar Apple icon, in non-selected state, remains glitched out.

Still no hardware acceleration in MacX VCP. I did use the other platform id and that didn't give me acceleration either. So, I think there is something else that needs to be set, etc., to enable that.

I am curious as to why you want to upgrade to a Kaby Lake processor. All the reviews I read on Kaby Lake stated (or implied) that, if you have a Skylake system, it's not worth the upgrade considering Coffee Lake is suppose to have much greater improvements.

Mostly for HEVC. As 4K videos are becoming increasingly common, I think that HEVC will prove to be a very important feature. Also, it would give me some experience to help others with questions...
1-11.png

Source: The Kaby Lake-U/Y GPU - Media Capabilities - Intel Launches 7th Generation Kaby Lake: 15W/28W with Iris, 35-91W Desktop and Mobile Xeon

Apple does tout the HEVC support in the upcoming OS/device releases...

Mostly for HEVC. As 4K videos are becoming increasingly common, I think that HEVC will prove to be a very important feature. Also, it would give me some experience to help others with questions...
I didn't know that. HEVC is a new term for me, so research for more knowledge is in order. However, since my GENE and MyHERO systems are doing all I can ask, I'm going to wait for the next gen (Coffee Lake).

BTW, my home theater is robust enough so I "watch" movies on it. I have a smart HDTV, Roku, Blu-ray player and a HTPC (my original TMX build based upon a GA-P55M-UD4/i7-865 system. So, I'm good WRT movies, audio, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back