Contribute
Register

pastrychef's build - Asus Maximus VIII Gene - i7-7700K - GTX 1080

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry. I can't help with either... I use a traditional heatsink/fan and have never paid any attention to the LEDs.

Perhaps someone else will have more insight.

Newbie on the forum but like your build along with Stork's. But since I'll be building from scratch and want to future proof a bit and go with the 7700 Ķ Kaby Lake. Specs on the Gene mobo show 6th Gen cpu but I'm wondering if it can handle 7th grn cpus? Asus website still lists it as a 6th Gen mobo.
Sounds like the Z170 is working well but also considering the z270. Just one of those things where I'll be throwing cash at it so just as well consider latest gear. I'm sure the Gene and 6700 cpu would be fast enough but looks like the cpu's are close in price. Rebate available on the mobo but only for a few days. Thanks for helping and a fun read. Still need to catch up but wanted to ask about the mobo accepting the Kaby lake processor.
Cheers

Kaby Lake support was added with the more recent BIOS versions. So, if you want to use an i7-7700K, just upgrade the BIOS to the latest version.

Well that's great news. Thanks! Just need to figure out which cooler to use. Thinking a 2 fan water cooler thing but I need to look in to that further.

Hmmm, tried to edit my post but no go. Anyway, I think you mentioned which Samsung SSD to purchase. I get the Samsung SM951 SSD idea but there are 2 versions and I think you mentioned not to get the NV something. Mid terms this week so no time to go back through. Shoulda finished that college stuff up 35 yrs ago and my brain sure isn't what it used to be.

I'll try to search your thread with just the Samsung SM951 for a search. I'll post up what I'm going to order. Searching ram as well. Reasons to go with G.Skill over Crucial? Minor tweaks to what you've built which is what makes each rig unique in it's build. I just don't want to deviate to far from what you've done here. Golden.

"If you will be using an Apple SSUBX SSD, go to your EFI partition, go to /EFI/Clover/drivers64UEFI/ and replace VBoxHSF-64.efi with HFSPlus.efi. This fixes a boot delay when OS X starts up. Also, you will need an adaptor to plug the SSUBX in to the motherboard's M.2 slot. I used an Adapter Card to M.2 NGFF X4 for 2013 2014 2015 apple MacBook Air A1465 A1466 SSD. (Update: HFSPlus.efi works well with a Samsung SM951.)"

Kaby Lake support was added with the more recent BIOS versions. So, if you want to use an i7-7700K, just upgrade the BIOS to the latest version.

baby lake support was added since from 2202 bios (I'm using it with my 7700k).
pastry, one question please: which value of dark wake are you using with 10.12.5?

@6806goats :
Yes, there are two versions of the Samsung SM951. (1) NVMe which will require more work to get working and (2) AHCI which works out of the box. NVMe support has been reportedly added to High Sierra beta. Hopefully, it will stay there in the final release of High Sierra.
150407-165908.jpg

@xelanaiznac :
After upgrading to 10.12.5, sleep behaved strangely. After a bit of trial and error, I have gone back to "darkwake". Previously, I was using "darkwake=1" with 10.12.4.

Screen Shot 2017-06-27 at 7.26.46 AM.png

Seems like you have VT-x disabled. Just go to BIOS to enable it. Be sure to leave VT-d disabled.

It should be in the Advanced Items/System Agent section of BIOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back