Contribute
Register

pastrychef's build - Asus Maximus VIII Gene - i7-7700K - GTX 1080

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi pastrychef,

maybe you heard of it before or you can give me a hint in the right direction.
Yesterday I updated(via app store) the Remote Desktop Client to version 3.9.0. Today my build shows a strange behavior. When I boot up my system, when I see the Apple boot screen, I have an empty loading bar and then the machine reboots. This last two rounds and then the loading bar is filling and the OS comes up and runs normal. When I instantly reboot, same "procedure" starts again (2x rebooting, 3rd time OS starts up).

Did this update destroys or change something in my Clover? If yes.... where to look? Or is it something completely different and has nothing to do with the Remote Desktop Update? This symptom has never happened before, so I´m a little bit lost here, because I did´t change a thing elsewhere. o_O

thanks in advance for you help
best
Michael

I don't know. I haven't had time to install the update yet.

I don't know. I haven't had time to install the update yet.
Please do it with caution... Maybe Apple had made some changes under the hood and nicely packed it into a harmless Remote Client update. Just restarted my system and it boots up till the end in the 1st round...

Strange... really strange?!?

I did the update and rebooted without any problems. I have also not seen anyone else mention having problems with the update.

I did the update and rebooted without any problems. I have also not seen anyone else mention having problems with the update.
Thank you for your test. I assume you are totally right with the update. I think I can count me in to the famous group "Random boot reboot problems".

And this is a tricky group. Because, what runs for months without any problems and suddently shows this kind of symptoms/behaviour is hard to find.
In my little world of microelectronics there are only "0s" and "1s". It works or it doesn´t. There is no "in between" or "sometimes".

I can´t reinstall all over again, because I use this build for my job everyday.
So, maybe/hopefully it´s a tiny simple thing I overlooked the whole time. But where to start?

Stork mentioned something in the BIOS (from Legacy/UEFI to only UEFI) that helped him.Sounds to me he had the same some kind of issue in the past. But I assume, he already changed that in his build description. The ONLY thing I really changed was this menu icon (you remember, the Clover boot menu thing). Because I now have Custom entries with custom icons (because it worked), I now see in my BIOS under boot options the name drive name like my SSD in the finder. Before it was just a number and the manufacturer.

Kind of lost here somehow...

best
Michael

Stork mentioned something in the BIOS (from Legacy/UEFI to only UEFI) that helped him. Sounds to me he had the same some kind of issue in the past. But I assume, he already changed that in his build description...
What's the BIOS parameter? I can't pinpoint what you're talking about.

The cosmetic change you did to Clover should not affect anything.

The update did reset the VNC port back to default on my system. I've been using a custom port since I was still on my Mac Pro.

What's the BIOS parameter? I can't pinpoint what you're talking about.
Oct 4, 2015 at 12:40 PM#9
I "cured" my reboot problem by changing the BIOS Boot Mode Selection parameter (the name various in different motherboards) from Legacy or UEFI & Legacy to UEFI (only).
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/el-capitan-stuck-in-a-reboot-loop.173987/
Wow! An oldie but goodie. :thumbup: I believed that BIOS change was for my Gigabyte H97N motherboard as I hadn't build my Gene, yet.

Does the Gene's BIOS' have a "Boot Mode Selection" parameter? I didn't see it in the User Manual.

Wow! An oldie but goodie. :thumbup: I believed that BIOS change was for my Gigabyte H97N motherboard as I hadn't build my Gene, yet.

Does the Gene's BIOS' have a "Boot Mode Selection" parameter? I didn't see it in the User Manual.
Hi Stork,
thx a lot for looking into this issue. Actual, it's about my/your HERO build. I found something in the manual (chapter 3, page 3-45) that looks like the thing you are talking about in your post way back then.

Best
Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back