Contribute
Register

pastrychef's build - Asus Maximus VIII Gene - i7-7700K - GTX 1080

Status
Not open for further replies.
Legitimate question. I followed your wonderful Hero build for El Captain. Everything works except the Sleep. I don't have wake issues, because I couldn't get my system to sleep in the first place. Now, with the very nice help of pastrychef and Jiojimbo (who has got the same problem), we want to narrow down the issue.

And I was wondering, because many users here in the Forum are talking about their kexts in the ../10.xx folder. It was just a guess of myself... maybe it could help to move the kexts???

Dear mikampe: You can place your kexts on either of 3 locations: /L/E (multibeast default) S/L/E (where are more diffucult to find as they are "hidden " files and EFI/CLOVER/KEXT/(your OS version) . I have being trying different locations and I can't tell any advantage of not putting the kexts on /L/E , actually its easier to let them there if you use multibeast. Only "good" thing of storing them on the EFI/Clover its that I feel they "load" faster as they are not in the system folders , other than that nothing changed for me when I moved my kexts from one folder to another.

Legitimate question. I followed your wonderful Hero build for El Captain. Everything works except the Sleep. I don't have wake issues, because I couldn't get my system to sleep in the first place. Now, with the very nice help of pastrychef and Jiojimbo (who has got the same problem), we want to narrow down the issue.

And I was wondering, because many users here in the Forum are talking about their kexts in the ../10.xx folder. It was just a guess of myself... maybe it could help to move the kexts???
Why? If you can't answer the question, don't do it. My favorite coaching saying was/is "don't rush to fail!"

The only kexts I have in the Clover folder are kexts that are meant to make the system appear like a Mac. For example, real Macs won't need things like FakeSMC or Injector to appear like a Mac. My assumption was that these load earlier to get macOS to see the system as a Mac. Normal kexts, such as Wacom kexts, I leave in the normal L/E folder.

Personally, I wouldn't move my kexts around. It can only lead to problems.

Hello again,

So I installed another fan on the CPU cooler and re-applied the thermal compound, I stuck with the Noctua compound as it had great reviews. (I think I applied too much before). I also downgraded the overclock a little bit and now temps are +- 60C while rendering that same 5k timeline. Figured this was the best way to go since this machine will definitely spend a lot of time rendering and 60C is a lot healthier than 80+C.
Screen Shot 2016-12-13 at 23.29.06.png

Updated to macOS Sierra 10.12.2 via App Store with no problems. After update, the Nvidia system preference notified me that an update was required and it updated the drivers for me.

It's a big update and takes a bit of time to complete.

Dear mikampe: You can place your kexts on either of 3 locations: /L/E (multibeast default) S/L/E (where are more diffucult to find as they are "hidden " files and EFI/CLOVER/KEXT/(your OS version) . I have being trying different locations and I can't tell any advantage of not putting the kexts on /L/E , actually its easier to let them there if you use multibeast. Only "good" thing of storing them on the EFI/Clover its that I feel they "load" faster as they are not in the system folders , other than that nothing changed for me when I moved my kexts from one folder to another.
Thx for your post. Question: Did you, while figuring out the sleep/wake problem, try out the USB port exclude or are you going the "hard" way and make a fresh install?

Thx for your post. Question: Did you, while figuring out the sleep/wake problem, try out the USB port exclude or are you going the "hard" way and make a fresh install?
I'm still figuring out the sleep problem, I haven't tryed the USB exclude but I had disabled the USB ports directly on BIOS wich I think it's the same...
Im thinking on a fresh install for next week, when work is over, because I have make so many changes and even if I try to write them and reverse them by now I prefer to start over , so I can recheck every step and eliminate probable causes. Anyway untill I can reinstall I keep playing with variables everyday, and be sure that I'll post back if i find something related to our issue.

I'm still figuring out the sleep problem, I haven't tryed the USB exclude but I had disabled the USB ports directly on BIOS wich I think it's the same...
Im thinking on a fresh install for next week, when work is over, because I have make so many changes and even if I try to write them and reverse them by now I prefer to start over , so I can recheck every step and eliminate probable causes. Anyway untill I can reinstall I keep playing with variables everyday, and be sure that I'll post back if i find something related to our issue.
Hi,
hope you all had a wonderful Xmas. A quick update before new years eve:
Today the appstore reminds me of a new System Security update (10.11.6xxxxx_003). After installing it, the NVIDIA driver poped up and told me my driver was old. So I installed the new one...No problem so far. :thumbup:
Reg. the sleep/wake thing... I´m in the middle of the USB fix. Right now, I´m identifying all the ports with IORegistryExplorer.

- What are the USR1 and USR2 ports? I don´t find an explanation for it.
- What is the highest port value for? E.g.: I have 20 ports, so my highest port number is 20?
- In the end, when I generate the SSDT-USB.asl (or is it .aml??), do I still need the USBInjectAll.kext?
- Why do I need the APIC patch and what is it good for?

Thanks in advance for your help/clarification/advice

All the best
Michael :wave:

Hi,
hope you all had a wonderful Xmas. A quick update before new years eve:
Today the appstore reminds me of a new System Security update (10.11.6xxxxx_003). After installing it, the NVIDIA driver poped up and told me my driver was old. So I installed the new one...No problem so far. :thumbup:
Reg. the sleep/wake thing... I´m in the middle of the USB fix. Right now, I´m identifying all the ports with IORegistryExplorer.

- What are the USR1 and USR2 ports? I don´t find an explanation for it.
- What is the highest port value for? E.g.: I have 20 ports, so my highest port number is 20?
- In the end, when I generate the SSDT-USB.asl (or is it .aml??), do I still need the USBInjectAll.kext?
- Why do I need the APIC patch and what is it good for?

Thanks in advance for your help/clarification/advice

All the best
Michael :wave:

My guess is that the USR ports are used for USB 3.1.

Each motherboard is different, that's why each has to be mapped individually. On our motherboard, it's 20 plus the USR ports.

I already did all the mapping and have provided the .asl and .aml files HERE.

Yes, I still use USBinjectAll.kext.

The only ACPI patch I have is for audio.

My guess is that the USR ports are used for USB 3.1.

Each motherboard is different, that's why each has to be mapped individually. On our motherboard, it's 20 plus the USR ports.

I already did all the mapping and have provided the .asl and .aml files HERE.

Yes, I still use USBinjectAll.kext.

The only ACPI patch I have is for audio.
Hi pastrychef,

thank you for your post. Hope you´re doing fine.
The "thing" with the IOAPIC (sorry, my fault... not ACPI) patch... I found here:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/10-11-0-10-11-3-skylake-starter-guide.179221/

Here it´s stated :
2. IOAPIC Fix
Without this fix, many things don't work, including but not limited to SATA, Ethernet ports, USB, many PCI devices, sound devices, and etc. Basically virtually nothing works.

Fortunately, the fix is relatively easy: add this <dict> entry to EFI/CLOVER/config.plist in the KextsToPatch array:

Did you have a clue how to deal with the highest port value? I think, I don´t quite understand it.

Again, thank you very much.

Best
Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back