Contribute
Register

pastrychef's build - Asus Maximus VIII Gene - i7-7700K - GTX 1080

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, my main desire to use the iMac17,1 definition was to try and match the chipset as closely as possible. At the end of the day, I ended up just using iMac14,2 because it was easier and Handoff/Continuity/etc works.

What you see sounds like the same as what I get. 900MHz is the lowest I've ever seen my system get when idling. It is the same when I use iMac17,1.

When using the HD 530, sleep is know to be broken. I have my HD 530 enabled in Bios but no monitor connected to it and sleep is working.

Thanks!

14,2 seems to be working well for me so far so I'll just stick with it for a while.

I've opened up a different thread to figure out if I've got the 530 installed correctly. I've heard of the wake problems from sleep but hadn't heard about problems getting to sleep in the first place:

https://www.tonymacx86.com/posts/1347725/

Thanks for your guide! I'm very technically literate but this is totally new territory for me and it really helped.

Have you tried Pike's method of power management with an SSDT? I'm using an SSDT in both my Gene & MyHero builds. But I'm not OC'ing, so I'm using the standard, appropriate CPU SSDT found on ammulder's guide: http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-el-capitan-on-the-skylake-h170n-wifi.178197/#SSDT

The appropriate CPU SSDT will provide the power management you desire.

Yup, I followed the instructions from page 4 of this thread and ran:

./ssdtPRGen.sh -turbo 5000

I just wasn't sure what success would look like, especially with the errors about the board type not matching.

Thanks to you too Stork, your guide really helped me too! I'd like to contribute and put my build up too. Should I wait until the 1070 is working or is there value in putting it up as it is?

I'm holding off buying a Nvidia Pascal GTX 10x0 card for MyHero until the Nvidia drivers are released for these cards. The good news is that, by holding off buying a card, I'm noticing some cards gone through a revision/update and the prices have dropped a little.

Thanks!

14,2 seems to be working well for me so far so I'll just stick with it for a while.

I've opened up a different thread to figure out if I've got the 530 installed correctly. I've heard of the wake problems from sleep but hadn't heard about problems getting to sleep in the first place:

https://www.tonymacx86.com/posts/1347725/

Thanks for your guide! I'm very technically literate but this is totally new territory for me and it really helped.

I'm really happy it helped!! :D

I'm holding off buying a Nvidia Pascal GTX 10x0 card for MyHero until the Nvidia drivers are released for these cards. The good news is that, by holding off buying a card, I'm noticing some cards gone through a revision/update and the prices have dropped a little.

I'm in the same boat. Just waiting on Nvidia... I really like the power & power consumption of the new Pascal cards.

Last edited:
I'm in the same boat. Just waiting on Nvidia... I really like the power:power consumption of the new Pascal cards.

me too, while I like playing with overclocking I'm really more interested in silence and energy efficiency. If I could find a way to overclock windows and leave the Mac at stock I would.

unfortunately since this is my first hack, I didn't have an old card to put in there to wait. aside from my Mac not going to sleep I'm really enjoying gaming on the 1070 in windows and using the HD 530 on the Mac.

About to build an identical machine to this (all of the parts, minus the case are sitting on my desk) very excited.

Do you have any more pictures of the cooler mounted to that motherboard? Do you have any clearance issues getting to the ram slots? Would you have to remove the massive cooler to swap ram? :)

I don't have any pictures of the heatsink where the RAM is visible, but it fits fine. This Noctua cooler was designed with mATX and RAM clearance in mind.

I don't have any pictures of the heatsink where the RAM is visible, but it fits fine. This Noctua cooler was designed with mATX and RAM clearance in mind.

Hey PastryChef,

Just had a few quick questions regarding your setup. I'm going to upgrade my rig after 5 years so i'm a bit rusty.

I've learnt that ASUS are now considered good motherboards to go for, which was different as 5 years ago I was told to stick with Gigabyte. However, I have a few questions:

1) I understand you have stated that Audio works, however can you confirm that if you have something plugged into the rear green jack, and set the mac to sleep, when you wake the mac and plug in headphones to the front jack, will sound come out of the headphones, and then upon removing the headphones, sound will still continue to come out of the rear green jack?

2) As you have a 4K monitor, can you confirm that 4k video both stored on the hack and through youtube play flawlessly? I ask because my old rig has problems playing 4K - the vtdecoderxpcservice uses around 300% CPU and the fans go crazy!

3) As you're running 4K through I'm imagining the display port, can you see the Clover boot screen? As I've read that non-flashed GPUs can't see the clover flash screen, and the screen will remain blank until you reach the login page (if you're using 4k resolution and outputting through display port)?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back