Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

@pastrychef I used VGtab to under-volt my GPU and make the fan run super speed over 70c and it seems like it runs significantly cooler is there a way to actually check that it is actually drawing less power?

The only way I've found to do this reliably is with the use of a Kill-A-Watt (or a clone). I have two of these devices one connected to my Z390 and one connected to my Z370.

The only way I've found to do this reliably is with the use of a Kill-A-Watt (or a clone). I have two of these devices one connected to my Z390 and one connected to my Z370.

So no programs I take it. Right now it is running at 38c I got a web browser and email open. I was doing some raiding in wow and it never went above 70c but the raid was not really visually stunning. In most zones in wow, it runs very cool. There is one zone however that sends the card into thermal meltdown but still was not breaching 80c even in the most demanding spot in the zone so that is an improvement by 5 -8 C

So no programs I take it. Right now it is running at 38c I got a web browser and email open. I was doing some raiding in wow and it never went above 70c but the raid was not really visually stunning. In most zones in wow, it runs very cool. There is one zone however that sends the card into thermal meltdown but still was not breaching 80c even in the most demanding spot in the zone so that is an improvement by 5 -8 C

There were some terminal commands and one fork of FakeSMC that did provide readings but I am not confident in its accuracy. With a Kill-A-Watt, I can tell easily when the GPU is being taxed.

feb24jobsquote2.jpg

Three reboots and ~30 minutes. I'm on OpenCore 0.6.6.

Screen Shot 2021-02-25 at 2.59.57 PM.png

Yes, your eyes are not deceiving you... I have an RX 560 in there... Sold my Radeon VII...

Three reboots and ~30 minutes. I'm on OpenCore 0.6.6.

Yes, your eyes are not deceiving you... I have an RX 560 in there... Sold my Radeon VII...

6.6 would not boot on my system kept giving me an error I think it has to do with the AS media controller that is where it gets stuck. And that is quite a step down from a VII to a RX560... when I started my build I had an RX560 because that was the only thing on the market.

6.6 would not boot on my system kept giving me an error I think it has to do with the AS media controller that is where it gets stuck. And that is quite a step down from a VII to a RX560... when I started my build I had an RX560 because that was the only thing on the market.

ASM USB controller? That should be natively supported...

Yeah. I took the first step towards returning to Apple made hardware. Sold my Radeon VII for about twice what I paid for it. I plan on retiring one of my hacks...

ASM USB controller? That should be natively supported...

Yeah. I took the first step towards returning to Apple made hardware. Sold my Radeon VII for about twice what I paid for it. I plan on retiring one of my hacks...
With 0.6.6 it hangs there. I fiddled with it a bit but gave up and went back to 6.5. Going to get my son a Mac book air in the coming weeks he does not need the GPU power for school as I do for work so it will give me the opportunity to see how it does so I do not feel I wasted money on something that is going to sit.

With 0.6.6 it hangs there. I fiddled with it a bit but gave up and went back to 6.5. Going to get my son a Mac book air in the coming weeks he does not need the GPU power for school as I do for work so it will give me the opportunity to see how it does so I do not feel I wasted money on something that is going to sit.

I like the MacBook Air. The fact that it has no mechanical moving parts means it should last a very long time.

I'm holding out for an iMac unless they upgrade the Mac mini and offer more RAM options or offer a mini tower...

Back