Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

Doesn't make sense.

How many times does your system reboot? Do you ever see the update progress bar under Apple logo?
It only requests the one reboot, and no, there's no progress bar under Apple logo.

"Install Now" >> "Downloading 2.43 GB" >> "Preparing MacOS Big Sur (about 15 minutes remaining)" >> "Restart" >> when it reboots, there is no "Mac Installer" image, nor does the update progress appear beneath the Apple logo.

When I reboot, the System Preferences Software Update pane stating "An update is available for your Mac" is still on-screen, the OS is still 11.2, and there doesn't appear to be any othersign that an update was downloaded or an install attempted.

"Install Now" >> "Downloading 2.43 GB" >> "Preparing MacOS Big Sur (about 15 minutes remaining)" >> "Restart" >> when it reboots, there is no "Mac Installer" image, nor does the update progress appear beneath the Apple logo.

After this part, when you click "Restart", the screen should go black with an Apple logo in the middle of the screen (but not actually restart yet) and the update process should begin. After the progress bar progresses for a bit, it should restart for the first time.

Based on your description, the update hasn't actually started. I don't know what the problem can be...

You can try downloading the full installer and put it on a USB flash drive. Then boot from the USB flash drive and install on top of your existing installation.

After this part, when you click "Restart", the screen should go black with an Apple logo in the middle of the screen (but not actually restart yet) and the update process should begin. After the progress bar progresses for a bit, it should restart for the first time.

Based on your description, the update hasn't actually started. I don't know what the problem can be...

You can try downloading the full installer and put it on a USB flash drive. Then boot from the USB flash drive and install on top of your existing installation.
Yes, I intend to do that the next time there's a significant version increment.

The sys.log implies some interesting theories, but my language deciphering skills are poor. There may be a ghost system folder - lines like "objc[5242]: Class LPPartitionMedia is implemented in both /path_a/ and /path_b/; then there's an ominous message about SIGKILL - at which point the Software Update appears to terminate, and so on.

For now, though - I'm thrilled with the performance of the machine under OS 11.2. The windows and various UI elements look a little strange at first, but are soon familiar again. Glad to see the improvements in Mail, Safari, and the general solidity of the OS.

Pastrychef, what's the fastest CPU this Z370-G motherboard will easily support?

Currently, I have:
Intel Core i7-8700 1 Processor, 6 Cores, 12 Threads
Identifier GenuineIntel Family 6 Model 158 Stepping 10
Base Frequency 3.20 GHz

That chip runs cool, doesn't take much power, and zero complaints. But I do some video work, and it's on the slow side for that. Geekbench 5 = 1102/5923

Wondering what I can squeeze out of this hardware.
Next, I would think about taking the leap to something 10th gen?
Maybe ASUS ROG Strix Z490-G + i7-10700K

Pastrychef, what's the fastest CPU this Z370-G motherboard will easily support?

Currently, I have:
Intel Core i7-8700 1 Processor, 6 Cores, 12 Threads
Identifier GenuineIntel Family 6 Model 158 Stepping 10
Base Frequency 3.20 GHz

That chip runs cool, doesn't take much power, and zero complaints. But I do some video work, and it's on the slow side for that. Geekbench 5 = 1102/5923

Wondering what I can squeeze out of this hardware.
Next, I would think about taking the leap to something 10th gen?
Maybe ASUS ROG Strix Z490-G + i7-10700K

Yeah, i9-9900K or KF is the best CPU Z370 can use. It's 8 cores/16 threads. Remember, if you need IGPU, get the i9-9900K. The KF doesn't have IGPU.

The 9900K can be pretty easily overclocked to 4.9GHz. How well it handles 5GHz or more will depend on silicon lottery.

I have two 9900K CPUs. One clocks to 5.1GHz (although it gets a little toasty in the summer months so I keep it at 5GHz) and the other requires too much voltage to get to 5GHz so I keep it at 4.9GHz.

On 5GHz all core, I get about 1360/9500 in Geekbench.

I was running an i7-9700F (6 core/6 threads) for a while and there's definitely an easily noticeable difference between the two.

If you live near a MicroCenter, they have a really good deal on the i9-9900K. Newegg sells it for ~$70 more...

Screen Shot 2021-02-14 at 5.47.37 PM.png

Z490 and i7-10700K? In my opinion, it's just easier to swap out your current CPU to the 8 core and you'll save a bit of cash and work. The difference in performance will probably be small enough that you never notice the difference.

I used your oc 0.6.6 efi,but stuck here,does anyone have the same issue

Attachments

• 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 48
you may want to check the config.plist for the relevant changes required with updated version of OpenCore

Don't mix and match files from your old EFI and the new EFI.

Use the new EFI as-is. Just copy/paste your Serial, Board Serial, UUID, and MAC address to the new config.plist.

Don't mix and match files from your old EFI and the new EFI.

Use the new EFI as-is. Just copy/paste your Serial, Board Serial, UUID, and MAC address to the new config.plist.
I did exactly what you said, but there's still the problem

Back