Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

I recently switched from Clover to OC.64 to get 11.1 compatibility. I used the OC64 config setup in the first post, and it worked great.

I have learned I can no longer boot into Windows - it's no longer a boot option on the (now OC) bootup screen, and when I select the Windows startup disk in Startup Disk sys prefs, it just boots me to the same picklist of (MacOS-centric) choices.

It doesn't even show up in the BIOS picklist of partitions/disks/etc. to boot from.

I do see my Windows disk in MacOS, and it does look normal - partitioned, has lots of stuff on it, etc.

Does the crowd have any thoughts on how to get Windows 10 working again after a flip from C. to OC ?

Is your Windows install a UEFI installation?

Have you tried spamming the F8 key after powering up to get to the BIOS boot menu and booting from there?

Is your Windows install a UEFI installation?

Have you tried spamming the F8 key after powering up to get to the BIOS boot menu and booting from there?
Yes. No luck.

On my BIOS Setup screen, that hard drive isn't a boot choice. It's quite possible the Win10 boot function was always done via the Mac's 200MB FAT UEFI partition, so that doesn't worry me too much, but I removed all the stuff that was in there when I went from Clover to OC. I think there's some Windows folder of EFI boot components I have to put back? Not sure....

It is UEFI Win10...

I boot from UEFI (SSD In Question).

Other options are (Windows Boot Manager) and (OpenCore). I'll try both of those in a moment by enabling them in Setup menu.

I'd expected to be able to boot Windows via an OpenCore picklist....?

Booting from Windows Boot Manager takes me right back to the Asus BIOS/EFI Setup pages.
Booting from OPENCORE or from UEFI (SSD Drive) boots into MacOS via OC's boot picker, and the boot picker screen does not have a Windows partition in the picklist.

Do I need to place some Windows files into the EFI folder ? I suspect I removed something when I went from Clover to OC by mistake, perhaps?

Booting from Windows Boot Manager takes me right back to the Asus BIOS/EFI Setup pages.
Booting from OPENCORE or from UEFI (SSD Drive) boots into MacOS via OC's boot picker, and the boot picker screen does not have a Windows partition in the picklist.

Do I need to place some Windows files into the EFI folder ? I suspect I removed something when I went from Clover to OC by mistake, perhaps?

Yeah, it's possible that your Windows UEFI info was on the same EFI partition as Clover or OpenCore.

I think there are ways to repair it but I've never tried it myself. Try googling "repair Windows EFI". When you do the repair, I suggest putting the files in the EFI partition of your Windows drive.

why should disconnecting all USB devices

USB devices can do weird things. Since the USB ports continue to provide power even when the system is shut down, that's the first place I would look if you are having shut down problems.

Back