Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

So far I feel like I'm playing darts with the lights turned off and trying to hit a bullseye.

But been tinkering and when I changed the platform ID to 3E920003 (headless), the system booted. It took much longer and I had to unplug and replug the Displayport cable but eventually worked.

Trouble is, there's still no change in Final Cut H265 rendering...still very slow. A 10 second 4K clip takes a minute to render. I remember on my old Hack in High Sierra, I could render the same thing in about 8 seconds.

I don't know why you have to set the ig-platform-id manually...

Right this minute, I'm on my Z390 using iMacPro1,1 system definition and IGPU enabled in BIOS. in my config.plist, I have zero settings for IGPU platform-id, zero settings for IGPU device-id.

Everything is auto detected. Plus, WhateverGreen is not installed.
Screen Shot 2020-04-04 at 6.57.07 PM.png

Thanks for the heads up. I use a Magic Keyboard and mouse so that would definitely be a pain.

Any particular ASUS Z390 you'd recommend? I'm looking for ATX or mATX. And if you have a thread you could point me too that would be amazing

I haven't really explored all the Asus Z390 motherboards... I was turned off by the Z390 Gene because it only had two RAM slots. Maybe the Maximus XI Hero (Wi-Fi) or ROG Strix Z390-E...

I haven't really explored all the Asus Z390 motherboards... I was turned off by the Z390 Gene because it only had two RAM slots. Maybe the Maximus XI Hero (Wi-Fi) or ROG Strix Z390-E...

Thanks, will check those out and do some research!

I don't know why you have to set the ig-platform-id manually...

Right this minute, I'm on my Z390 using iMacPro1,1 system definition and IGPU enabled in BIOS. in my config.plist, I have zero settings for IGPU platform-id, zero settings for IGPU device-id.

Everything is auto detected. Plus, WhateverGreen is not installed.
View attachment 459689
Thanks. Yeah I don't get it either. My old system I could switch definitions and it never had an issue. Maybe it's whatevergreen...I'm updating everything including adding your newer EFI. I'll try it, then remove whatever green and see what happens.

Thanks. Yeah I don't get it either. My old system I could switch definitions and it never had an issue. Maybe it's whatevergreen...I'm updating everything including adding your newer EFI. I'll try it, then remove whatever green and see what happens.

Updated everything. As soon as the iGPU is on, system freezes during boot. Tried deleting Whatevergreen and the system froze even sooner.

Only thing that makes any difference is changing the system ID. It will then boot using 19,1 ... but very slowly. And even then, it makes no difference to Final Cut X. HEVC is still super slow.

Apple must have changed something in Catalina. In previous versions, Final Cut was fine.

Updated everything. As soon as the iGPU is on, system freezes during boot. Tried deleting Whatevergreen and the system froze even sooner.

Only thing that makes any difference is changing the system ID. It will then boot using 19,1 ... but very slowly. And even then, it makes no difference to Final Cut X. HEVC is still super slow.

Apple must have changed something in Catalina. In previous versions, Final Cut was fine.

Yeah. I think something changed with the drivers because some users have an HDR option now and I was getting HDMI audio panics.

Yeah. I think something changed with the drivers because some users have an HDR option now and I was getting HDMI audio panics.

I was able to pull a previous version of Final Cut X (10.4.6) and it works normally. HEVC is accelerated. Premiere Pro is also fine. So you're probably right...some kind of driver change.

I'm about to try Open Core but the difference in terminology with Clover Configurator is confusing me while filling the Platform Info.

Whats MLB? By the acronym, I am assuming it's 'Main Logic Board' thus 'Board Serial number', correct?

ROM = Mac Address(?), I ran
Code:
ifconfig en0 | grep ether
in the terminal copied the result, removed the colons and typed it as such: <number-here> in the Rom field, it was accepted so I'm 99% sure this is how it's supposed to be done but confirmation would be nice as I want to avoid iCloud problems.

How do I apply my custom uia_exclude from clover to Open Core? (I use the internal USB to control my nxzt watercooler)
I didn't find an uia_exclude argument in NVRAM > Boot-args

I'm about to try Open Core but the difference in terminology with Clover Configurator is confusing me while filling the Platform Info.

Whats MLB? By the acronym, I am assuming it's 'Main Logic Board' thus 'Board Serial number', correct?

ROM = Mac Address(?), I ran
Code:
ifconfig en0 | grep ether
in the terminal copied the result, removed the colons and typed it as such: <number-here> in the Rom field, it was accepted so I'm 99% sure this is how it's supposed to be done but confirmation would be nice as I want to avoid iCloud problems.

How do I apply my custom uia_exclude from clover to Open Core? (I use the internal USB to control my nxzt watercooler)
I didn't find an uia_exclude argument in NVRAM > Boot-args

If you look at the Read Me file included in my OpenCore EFI, everything you need should be there. If you open your Clover config.plist with Clover Configurator and go to the SMBIOS section, you will see what Serial, Board Serial, and UUID are.

Yes, that Terminal command will give you your MAC address.

You can add your "uia_exclude=" boot argument to config.plist > NVRAM > Add > 7C436110-AB2A-4BBB-A880-FE41995C9F82 > boot-args

What you described sounded exactly like what I was experiencing with macOS 10.15.4. It would wake up but it would be frozen. The only way out was to press the reset button. Upon reboot, I got a kernel panic log showing that the freeze was caused by HDMI audio.

Since WhateverGreen is responsible for HDMI/DisplayPort audio, I disabled WhateverGreen and everything was fine.

Apparently WhateverGreen 1.3.8 is out meanwhile. The Changelog does not mention anything related directly, but I'm not really familiar with its boot arguments and properties.

Back