Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

I've been trying to switch SMB

So I'm making one more attempt at getting SMBIOS 19,1 to work on my system.

The issue has been that every time the iGPU is switched on in BIOS, my system crashes/restarts. I'm using the same EFI from this post along with nearly the same hardware. My current 1,1 definition works fine (iGPU disabled) except Final Cut Pro has render issues for things like H265.

Part of my issue is that I'm not clear how to trace the problem. But here are some clues I have so far:

(see attachments)
Problem Report says "panic(cpu 6 caller 0xffffff7f9b8966ad): "Unsupported GraphicsSchedulerSelect=2\n"@skl/IntelAccelerator.cpp:2070"

and during boot it says
GPU = GFX0 unknownPlatform (no matching vendor_id+device id)

Now I'm not even sure I'm on the right track but seems like this would be related.

What version of macOS are you running? Older versions of macOS may need manual injection of IGPU info.

Which version of Clover are you using? The config.plist looks like one of my very early creations...

@pastrychef. Thanks to your Z390G EFI folder, I was able to get to the installation screen (the Z370G EFI folder didn't work for some reason).

Quick weird question though. Only the top 2 USB 3 ports are working? This is even in the BIOS environment? I've removed the BIOS battery etc but for some weird reason, only 2 USB ports are working. Any ideas?

EDIT: I've installed windows and in device manager, under USB, the 'USB xHCI Complaint Host Controller' is showing as error. I've downloaded the latest drivers but it's still coming up as a problem? Is this indicative of a hardware fault again?

Which EFI are you using? Please post it here so I can see if there's anything messing with USB.

I have very little knowledge about Windows... Maybe start a new thread to ask if anyone else can help with XHCI in Windows.

What version of macOS are you running? Older versions of macOS may need manual injection of IGPU info.
Which version of Clover are you using? The config.plist looks like one of my very early creations...
Thanks,
macOS is 10.15
Clover is 5.7.0

Which EFI are you using? Please post it here so I can see if there's anything messing with USB.

I have very little knowledge about Windows... Maybe start a new thread to ask if anyone else can help with XHCI in Windows.

Appreciate the help Pastrychef but I'm pretty sure it's a Hardware fault. The USBs don't even work in the BIOS. People online have said I need to RMA the board (again!) so will keep you posted. I wish I found your thread a year ago when this motherboard was readily available.

Appreciate the help Pastrychef but I'm pretty sure it's a Hardware fault. The USBs don't even work in the BIOS. People online have said I need to RMA the board (again!) so will keep you posted. I wish I found your thread a year ago when this motherboard was readily available.

You can always go with a newer Z390 motherboard. Now that the guys at acidanthera have figured out how to get NVRAM working, the Z390 motherboards should work every bit as well as Z370.

Some notes when shopping for Z390:
  • Gigabyte Z390 motherboards with M.2 slot for Wi-Fi/Bluetooth will not work with anything other than Intel CNVi cards. This means that your only choice for macOS compatible Wi-Fi/Bluetooth cards will be via PCI-e adaptor. As far as I know, Asus and ASRock Z390 motherboards with M.2 slots for Wi-Fi/Bluetooth can use macOS compatible cards.
  • In order for Gigabyte motherboards to have working NVRAM for macOS, they need to have MSR unlocked which means a little more work. As far as I know, only Gigabyte has this issue.

You can always go with a newer Z390 motherboard. Now that the guys at acidanthera have figured out how to get NVRAM working, the Z390 motherboards should work every bit as well as Z370.

Some notes when shopping for Z390:
  • Gigabyte Z390 motherboards with M.2 slot for Wi-Fi/Bluetooth will not work with anything other than Intel CNVi cards. This means that your only choice for macOS compatible Wi-Fi/Bluetooth cards will be via PCI-e adaptor. As far as I know, Asus and ASRock Z390 motherboards with M.2 slots for Wi-Fi/Bluetooth can use macOS compatible cards.
  • In order for Gigabyte motherboards to have working NVRAM for macOS, they need to have MSR unlocked which means a little more work. As far as I know, only Gigabyte has this issue.

Thanks Pastrychef, you're a real legend within this community!

I've decided to go for the Gigabyte Z390 Designare as there's a thread here which has a lot of support and people using the Mobo - https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...390-thunderbolt-3-i7-9700k-amd-rx-580.267551/

According to that thread and a few users, everything seems to be working.

I use Ethernet for my Internet as I have networked my house, but was planning on getting a WiFi/Bluetooth card to get Airdrop/unlock with Apple Watch functionality, so thanks for pointing the M.2 slot not working. The thread I pasted above has some recommendations for a PCI-e WiFi/BT card so I'll get one of those.

If you don't mind me asking and if you were in my shoes, what motherboard would you go for that was readily available now brand new at major retailers whilst also having good support on the Tonymac forums (by support I mean others that have used the Mobo and have threads about them etc) - As far as I can tell, there are minimal Motherboards available brand new that have threads about them on the GoldenBuilds part of the Forum.

Thanks Pastrychef, you're a real legend within this community!

I've decided to go for the Gigabyte Z390 Designare as there's a thread here which has a lot of support and people using the Mobo - https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...390-thunderbolt-3-i7-9700k-amd-rx-580.267551/

According to that thread and a few users, everything seems to be working.

I use ethernet for my internet as I have networked my house, but was planning on getting a wi-fi/bluetooth card to get Airdrop/unlock with Apple Watch functionality, so thanks for pointing the M.2 slot not working. The thread I pasted above has some recommendations for a PCI-e Wi-Fi/BT card so I'll get one of those.

If you don't mind me asking, and if you were in my shoes, what motherboard would you go for that was readily available now brand new at major retailers whilst also having good support on the Tonymac forums (by support I mean others that have used the Mobo and have threads about them etc) - As far as I can tell, there are minimal Motherboards available brand new that have threads about them on the GoldenBuilds part of the Forum

If that motherboard is anything like my Gigabyte Z390, the fact that the Wi-Fi/Bluetooth is on a PCI-e slot means waking from my Magic Mouse requires several clicks. Nowhere near as responsive as my Asus Z370. I mean, it works... Just not quite as elegantly...

Having owned this extremely compatible and easy to work with Asus Z370 and having gone through all the growing pains of my Gigabyte Z390, I'd look towards an Asus Z390 with M.2 Wi-Fi/Bluetooth slot. If you plan on overclocking, stick with one of the ROG Strix models.

Hmm... Both should be fine without manual IGPU info injection...

So far I feel like I'm playing darts with the lights turned off and trying to hit a bullseye.

But been tinkering and when I changed the platform ID to 3E920003 (headless), the system booted. It took much longer and I had to unplug and replug the Displayport cable but eventually worked.

Trouble is, there's still no change in Final Cut H265 rendering...still very slow. A 10 second 4K clip takes a minute to render. I remember on my old Hack in High Sierra, I could render the same thing in about 8 seconds.

If that motherboard is anything like my Gigabyte Z390, the fact that the Wi-Fi/Bluetooth is on a PCI-e slot means waking from my Magic Mouse requires several clicks. Nowhere near as responsive as my Asus Z370. I mean, it works... Just not quite as elegantly...

Having owned this extremely compatible and easy to work with Asus Z370 and having gone through all the growing pains of my Gigabyte Z390, I'd look towards an Asus Z390 with M.2 Wi-Fi/Bluetooth slot. If you plan on overclocking, stick with one of the ROG Strix models.

Thanks for the heads up. I use a Magic Keyboard and mouse so that would definitely be a pain.

Any particular ASUS Z390 you'd recommend? I'm looking for ATX or mATX. And if you have a thread you could point me too that would be amazing

Back