Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

@pastrychef Yes it has tethering capabilities but I did't buy wi-fi module, I have only built-it wi-fi.
Not sure which wi-fi module to buy since my case is mini-itx and its height is 65mm.

I've used DW1560 and DW1830. The DW1820A is becoming more popular now because the former two have gotten more difficult to find and prices have increased. But I've never personally used a DW1820A.

@pastrychef Yes it has tethering capabilities but I did't buy wi-fi module, I have only built-it wi-fi.
Not sure which wi-fi module to buy since my case is mini-itx and its height is 65mm.
I've used all of them.
I was unable to make the DW1820A work.
I really like the DW1560 as it can fit not only in notebooks but also on mini ITX motherboards such as Asus Rog Strix Z390-I that have heatsinks.
Moreover on some mini ITX boards if you use the native modules such as the BCM94360CS2 with adapter you also need to swap the actual antenna cables and antenna plug as the originals sometimes don't reach the module tiny circular antenna plugs anymore as they're pushed higher by the adapter. Then if you swap such cable and antennas you discover that not all the antenna cables and antenna plugs are done equal and some of them don't plug well enough on the module leaving you with a very poor bluetooth signal. And from a nice afternoon trip this whole thing becomes a nightmare.

Originally I preferred the native modules but lately I'm less keen on them for such reason.
The DW1830 has the 3rd antenna that makes things even more complicated, but it's a great module.

Please post your EFI.
The EFI I used is the EFI Unified r5.1.6 (Catalina).zip from your main post..

And I've figured out the reason - BIOS DVMT Pre-allocated memory set to 64M is working for me but not 192M.
Also, after I enable the CSM, I got issue that my wireless mouse didn't work. It back to work after I disabled the CSM.

I assume this may related BIOS version.

Thanks

The EFI I used is the EFI Unified r5.1.6 (Catalina).zip from your main post..

And I've figured out the reason - BIOS DVMT Pre-allocated memory set to 64M is working for me but not 192M.
Also, after I enable the CSM, I got issue that my wireless mouse didn't work. It back to work after I disabled the CSM.

I assume this may related BIOS version.

Thanks

Remember to change system definition to iMac18,1.

May I ask the reason it has to be 18,1?
Thx

That's the latest iMac to use IGPU only.

You can also use Macmini8,1 if you like.

@xelanaiznac found that some system definitions can affect 5700 XT. Apparently, it's due to the generated BIOS and/or firmware.

To get the audio out working on back of the motherboard, you should be selecting System Preferences > Sound > Output > Internal Speakers.
Thanks again for the sound tip. Everything is spot on now.

A quick question. I tried to install Clover, and the disk was restricted..from google..i tried to boot into recovery mode but I could not. I clicked the Recovery disc at Clover Boot Screen, and I did the Terminal command there to unrestrict the disc. But, when I boot up, it is still restricted. Please help me out with this.

Hello guys
Finally, I got an HP EX900 500GB drive.
And I am disappointed in the speed of this disc. I checked this drive for speed using a project in Davinci Resolve. I sent several prores LT 4k DCI files to an EXR render with a resolution of 4K DCI. The first 30 seconds, the speed was good (1300mb \ s). But after that, the speed dropped to a negligible 50mb / s. Guys who have the same drive, do you have speed problems?
Disk temperature does not exceed 60C'

Attachments

• Снимок экрана 2020-01-06 в 22.32.18.png
    Снимок экрана 2020-01-06 в 22.32.18.png
    148.8 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Thanks again for the sound tip. Everything is spot on now.

A quick question. I tried to install Clover, and the disk was restricted..from google..i tried to boot into recovery mode but I could not. I clicked the Recovery disc at Clover Boot Screen, and I did the Terminal command there to unrestrict the disc. But, when I boot up, it is still restricted. Please help me out with this.

Launch Terminal and enter the following:
Code:
sudo spctl --master-disable
sudo mount -uw /
sudo killall Finder

Pastrychef, I did a build following your example on Z370-G. It has been running solidly and reliably for the last 12 months ever since I loaded it with your a copy of your (old) config folder, etc. I am running Mojave 10.14.13 and am thinking about updating to Catalina 10.15. Is this a bad idea? I would not gain anything major. It would probably be a lot of tweaking work for small gains -- if any. Just curious about how compatible Catalina has been on this hardware in general. Thanks for any feedback.

Motherboard Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) - CPU i7-8700 - GraphicsRX 580 - 10.14.3

Back