Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

I only have a 580 and Vega 56 & 64 so the iMac Pro trick always seemed to work and I guess the same with the 580 and the kext. You might have to mod the kext for your frame buffer this one does Baffin and Elesmier I do not know how to edit it for a different buffer. The Kext works in conjunction with the iMac Pro sm. I no longer have a 560 to try it out over here.

My RX 560 is Baffin. I've tried different ways of injecting it to no avail...

Just make sure that the SSDs are initialized as APFS/GUID.

will do! thanks!

I just caught another potentially related Finder/Saving issue that seems to happen also right after the Photoshop saving issue but it also happens once in a while for other apps, like Adobe InDesign now..

I exported the project (twice) but it saves it as some hidden file and doesn't show in Finder which is strange (see screenshot). Wondering if this pointed to a specific issue with somethings in the OS? i don't know ; (

PS: I made all Hidden Files visible in Finder and yet they don't show in Finder! so strange. Only in the InDesign Exporting Dialog box like on the screenshot.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-12-11 at 12.37.09 AM 1.png
    Screen Shot 2019-12-11 at 12.37.09 AM 1.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 51
  • config.plist
    11.2 KB · Views: 49
  • Screen Shot 2019-12-11 at 12.59.36 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-12-11 at 12.59.36 AM.png
    651.1 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
will do! thanks!

I just caught another potentially related Finder/Saving issue that seems to happen also right after the Photoshop saving issue but it also happens once in a while for other apps, like Adobe InDesign now..

I exported the project (twice) but it saves it as some hidden file and doesn't show in Finder which is strange (see screenshot). Wondering if this pointed to a specific issue with somethings in the OS? i don't know ; (

PS: I made all Hidden Files visible in Finder and yet they don't show in Finder! so strange. Only in the InDesign Exporting Dialog box like on the screenshot.

Those invisible files are normal. That's all stuff that you normally wouldn't notice when the system is working right. They should be deleted when the projects are saved.

My guess is that there's some sort of corruption in your installation of macOS or there's something installed that's causing your problems. If you're running the CPU and RAM at stock speeds, it shouldn't be hardware related... Unless maybe the SSD is faulty. That's why I asked you to try a clean install.

@pastrychef did you try to latest BIOS F9e for your RAM issue?

@pastrychef did you try to latest BIOS F9e for your RAM issue?

No, I didn't... I got so frustrated with the instability, I moved my i9-9900K back to my Z370 motherboard before the new BIOS got released...

I knew there were RAM issues with BIOS F9. I don't know why it took them so long to release an update to fix it.

Apologies if this was covered earlier in the post, I've been unable to find mention of it.

I'm encountering the "USB Accessory needs power" message.

In Clover (5.8.0.0), I've verified Devices/USB/Inject is selected. I've also verified the KextsToPatch string is found and replaced (https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/solved-high-sierra-10-13-4-usb-3-0-problems.250272/post-1778533)

No dice.

Any suggestions on what else I may need to check?

As always, thanks.

Did you ever set up one of the "proper" USB 15 port limit fixes?

Do you have SSDT-USBX.aml in /EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched/?

Thanks for the reply.

"Proper" 15 port limit. I'd hope so, however I'm not 10% sure they are "proper". See attached image.

Yes, the SSDT-USBX.aml is present.

Attachments

• usb_patches.png
    usb_patches.png
    248.1 KB · Views: 58
Thanks for the reply.

"Proper" 15 port limit. I'd hope so, however I'm not 10% sure they are "proper". See attached image.

Yes, the SSDT-USBX.aml is present.

Those are KextsToPatches to address the macOS 15 USB port limit. They are supposed to be considered temporary work arounds until you apply one of the proper fixes.

If SSDT-USBX.aml is installed, it should provide USB power injection. At some point, it broke for me (probably in Catalina) but it worked fine in High Sierra which is the version of macOS you are on...

What devices are giving the notice that you are seeing?

Back