Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

Good morning all,

I'm currently on OS version 10.13.2 which I haven't upgraded because of my fear of breaking things. I don't typically change things that are already working and with how my schedule has been lately, I don't know what I would do to find the time to fix my mistake.

I'm wondering, is the latest version working? If not, what's the most recent working version? And then my other question is, how would I go about updating? I haven't updated since I installed macOS.

Thanks!

Your GTX 1070 is going to be a problem. There are no Nvidia web drivers beyond High Sierra. If you pull it and use IGPU or replace it with a compatible AMD card, you can update to the latest version of Catalina.

I always update macOS within a day of official release.

When you are ready to update, you can do the following:
  1. Back up everything.
  2. Open your current config.plist.
  3. Copy your Serial, Board Serial, and UUID.
  4. Replace your EFI folder with the latest one from post #1.
  5. Open the new config.plist.
  6. Set the system definition you are currently using.
  7. Paste your old Serial, Board Serial, and UUID in to the appropriate fields. Save.
  8. Start the update.

@iLikeHackintosh @pastrychef guys you are confusing me. I am waiting for Black Friday to get a new 1TB Samsung NVMe. I don't know what should I do now?

I thought 970 EVO OK, but now you are saying Plus also works.

Which one should I buy;
970 EVO
970 EVO Plus

or is there any good alternative you have suggest?

Your GTX 1070 is going to be a problem. There are no Nvidia web drivers beyond High Sierra. If you pull it and use IGPU or replace it with a compatible AMD card, you can update to the latest version of Catalina.

I always update macOS within a day of official release.

When you are ready to update, you can do the following:
  1. Back up everything.
  2. Open your current config.plist.
  3. Copy your Serial, Board Serial, and UUID.
  4. Replace your EFI folder with the latest one from post #1.
  5. Open the new config.plist.
  6. Set the system definition you are currently using.
  7. Paste your old Serial, Board Serial, and UUID in to the appropriate fields. Save.
  8. Start the update.
Thank you for your response.

I now have a 1080ti on this system but that doesn't sound like it changes anything. Do you know what is the cheapest AMD card I could buy that would allow me to update to the latest version of Catalina? If I were to run IGPU, would that only work if I pull the card out completely? Also, I use 3-5 monitors on any given day, so I'd have to buy a card to support that anyway, right?

@iLikeHackintosh @pastrychef guys you are confusing me. I am waiting for Black Friday to get a new 1TB Samsung NVMe. I don't know what should I do now?

I thought 970 EVO OK, but now you are saying Plus also works.

Which one should I buy;
970 EVO
970 EVO Plus

or is there any good alternative you have suggest?

970 EVO works.
970 EVO Plus only works after a firmware update.

Thank you for your response.

I now have a 1080ti on this system but that doesn't sound like it changes anything. Do you know what is the cheapest AMD card I could buy that would allow me to update to the latest version of Catalina? If I were to run IGPU, would that only work if I pull the card out completely? Also, I use 3-5 monitors on any given day, so I'd have to buy a card to support that anyway, right?

Correct. GTX 1080 Ti doesn't change anything. They also rely on the Nvidia web drivers.

The lowest AMD card that would work is the RX 560. But I think you can find really good deals on used Vega 56 cards on eBay now, if you want to get something more powerful. Before buying, check on the forum that the model you want to purchase is compatible. Some specific cards have problem. Quite a few XFX brand cards have problems with hackintoshes.

I think it's possible to use IGPU without pulling your GTX 1080 Ti, but it's something I've never tried to do personally.

If you need to drive so many monitors, you will need to use a dedicated video card. IGPU does not have that many outputs.

I am using iGPU with rtx2060 and it works quite well. Its working with "-wegnoegpu".
There is one problem with energy consumption. dGPU is set to stock ~1600/8000 MHz clocks because there are no drivers, so it consumes 30-40 W and gets hot. Another solution is disconnecting power cable from the GPU :crazy:

After update to Catalina I have some issues with black screen. After logging to OS screen goes off for about 1 minute. Any ideas? I'm on latest EFI without mods. DP connection.

I am using iGPU with rtx2060 and it works quite well. Its working with "-wegnoegpu".
There is one problem with energy consumption. dGPU is set to stock ~1600/8000 MHz clocks because there are no drivers, so it consumes 30-40 W and gets hot. Another solution is disconnecting power cable from the GPU :crazy:

After update to Catalina I have some issues with black screen. After logging to OS screen goes off for about 1 minute. Any ideas? I'm on latest EFI without mods. DP connection.

If you are using the 5700 XT, please try with the "agdpmod=pikera" boot argument.
Screen Shot 2019-11-21 at 5.41.18 PM.png

I'm using only iGPU. 5700XT is going to RMA..
I can use Catalina on iGPU but sometimes its randomly goes black (and after log in).

I'm using only iGPU. 5700XT is going to RMA..
I can use Catalina on iGPU but sometimes its randomly goes black (and after log in).

Are you using iMac18,1 system definition when using IGPU only?

Back