Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

Mystic :crazy:

You do not know what could be the problem? I connected a SAMSUNG SSD M.2 PM981 drive, but there were problems. The first problem, if I connect the disk to the x4 line, then 4 sata ports do not work for me. The second problem is if you connect to the x2 line, then all disks work, but after the system boots up, my computer is reset (hard reset). BIOS settings I do not know what to set.

The Samsung PM981 is not compatible with macOS. It will cause random system crashes. There's a warning in red on post #1 about it.

It sounds like your motherboard shares PCI-e lanes between the M.2 slot and SATA. If you need the SATA ports, you will probably need to install your second NVMe SSD using a PCI-e adaptor.

The Samsung PM981 is not compatible with macOS. It will cause random system crashes. There's a warning in red on post #1 about it.

It sounds like your motherboard shares PCI-e lanes between the M.2 slot and SATA. If you need the SATA ports, you will probably need to install your second NVMe SSD using a PCI-e adaptor.
I am a loser :banghead:. Please tell me what drives other than samsung work?

As far as I know, all the Samsungs work except the 970 EVO Plus and the PM981.

I have been using an HP EX920 and it has been working very well.

I think some of the Intel SSDs have problems so be careful and check before you buy one of those.

The 970 EVO Plus works great on Mojave and Catalina with the latest firmware, no isssues.

Yeah. I know if works after a firmware fix.

But if buying new, I'd rather just avoid the hassle and buy something that work out of the box.

I found information on installing Catalina on a laptop and noticed the use of ssd pm981. Interestingly, did he happen to run or not? In his section of non-operability, it is not indicated about pm981. Maybe he did it?

Yeah. I know if works after a firmware fix.

But if buying new, I'd rather just avoid the hassle and buy something that work out of the box.

If you use Rufis to make the update it really very little hassle unless you do not have a second computer. I upgraded both of them in under 15 mins.

I found information on installing Catalina on a laptop and noticed the use of ssd pm981. Interestingly, did he happen to run or not? In his section of non-operability, it is not indicated about pm981. Maybe he did it?

I have no idea how he got it to work.

You can try the threads here regarding the PM981:

Mushkin Pilot M.2 500GB is also compatible.

Mod might want to add this to Buyers' Guide.

Last edited:
Good morning all,

I'm currently on OS version 10.13.2 which I haven't upgraded because of my fear of breaking things. I don't typically change things that are already working and with how my schedule has been lately, I don't know what I would do to find the time to fix my mistake.

I'm wondering, is the latest version working? If not, what's the most recent working version? And then my other question is, how would I go about updating? I haven't updated since I installed macOS.

Thanks!

Back