Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

Is your system stable in Windows or Linux?
It is, it was actually stable in macos Mojave as well. This is new as of clean installing to Catalina.

@pastrychef I don't understand what is this MSR 0xE2? What it does why should we need it? I read your first post but still didn't understand. is it mus be locked or unlocked? Mine looks like this; Should I need anything?

View attachment 435696

Please see this post.

It can be pretty easily unlocked. Usually, to unlock it, you just have to make a change to a hidden BIOS setting.

It is, it was actually stable in macos Mojave as well. This is new as of clean installing to Catalina.

Hmm... The problem looks related to WindowsServer. In my experience, this is usually due to GPU issues. That's why I asked if the system is stable under other operating systems.

If it's a clean install, it can't be due to software... The EFI is being used by quite a few, including myself, and it's working fine... So, my first guess was hardware.

Please see this post.

It can be pretty easily unlocked. Usually, to unlock it, you just have to make a change to a hidden BIOS setting.

I read that post before. Which hidden BIOS settings are you mentioning? If you are mentioning CFG Lock, I looked at that setting on my Z390 M Gaming BIOS, but it does not have this setting on my BIOS.

Another question; are you still using iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS?

Last edited:
I read that post before. Which hidden BIOS settings are you mentioning? If you are mentioning CFG Lock, I looked at that setting on my Z390 M Gaming BIOS, but it does not have this setting on my BIOS.

Another question; are you still using iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS?

Yes, the CFG Lock. I unlocked it on my Z390 M. It took about a minute.

Yes, I'm on iMacPro1,1.

Yes, the CFG Lock. I unlocked it on my Z390 M. It took about a minute.

Yes, I'm on iMacPro1,1.
Sorry but how do you unlock it? There is no any CFG Lock on latest BIOS?

@pastrychef Should integrated GPU be turned on or off if I am using your lastest OpenCore EFI as is (with my serial and stuff put in). Thinking back that is the only BIOS setting I have changed. Since switched to iMacPro 1,1 with your latest OpenCore, I thought it was supposed to be disabled, but wondering if that could be causing these issues?

Its usually in CPU settings maybe in overclocking section.
Maybe it's there but with new BIOS all GUI changed. Also no Serial Port option. I can't find it. I look under all settings but can't see it. Thats why I am asking @pastrychef, is he seeing these settings on the new BIOS?

Sorry but how do you unlock it? There is no any CFG Lock on latest BIOS?

Boot in to Grub shell and enter:
Code:
setup_var_3 0x5C1 0x0

The address is same on BIOS F7 and F8.

Back