Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

A big thanks to Pastrychef and a lot of others at this build thread. I have now managed to get my hackintosh up and running on Catalina. It was a strange trip with graphic glitches during the install but I managed to install using tab space :p now everything (almost) flows great! The one issue I have is my Logitech unifier dongle for my Logitech craft and M720 triathlon. Now and then they loose connection for a while and then connect again. Mostly it works flawlessly but it happens now and then. I have mapped my USB ports as mentioned before in this thread. I will attach my EFI if any1 wants to have a look. Thanks again!

Sounds like it may be Bluetooth reception problems. Try to use 5GHz Wi-Fi instead of 2.4GHz. This helps a lot.

Sorry for being so noobish, but how do you mean? Im not using any wifi since the wifi on the board aint working.

Bluetooth runs on 2.4GHz wireless spectrum. If you have a lot of other stuff running in that same spectrum, it can cause interference.

Hello!

So I have more or less completed my build and wanted to report back on some things I've found out that could potentially might help other people.

Catalina with the new AMD Radeon 5700 series

- 5700 series are supported on Catalina 10.15.1 out of the box (but needs WEG 1.3.4 and agdpmod pikera on the boot flags). However the installer has a bug so you can't use this GPU to install Catalina. I had to use the iGPU for that and then change it to the 5700. If you are doing an upgrade it shouldn't be a problem, just make sure you have WEG 1.3.4 and the boot flag.

- Avoid using iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS with Catalina 10.15.1 and the 5700 Series. It will freeze/kernel panic after sleep. My workaround is to use iMac19,1 or just disable sleep. This is already fixed on Catalina 10.15.2 beta 1.

- Catalina 10.15.2 beta 1 fixes the installer problem, but well... it's a beta release. So if you wan to go stable, upgrade from Mojave to Catalina and it will work just fine.

FAQ on Gigabyte Titan Ridge running on an Asus motherboard

- Did you have to install Windows? No, I haven't installed Windows so far to "enable" the card as some guides suggest. I'm not saying it's not always necessary but looks like on my build is not needed.

- How do you have your TB3 card connected? It's on the latest x16 slot. The TB3 header is also connected as well as the USB header. PCIe power is also connected, but I think this is more for Power Delivery capabilities. I don't know if this works as I don't have any device to test it

- Does this card works natively on macOS? Yes, this is the same chip some of the new Macs use. If you get the Alpine Ridge card instead (previous version) it will work too.

- Why do you even bother with this card? It's the only way to get the LG Ultrafine 5k running at full REAL 5k. In order to do this you require to have 2 DisplayPort-in which both the Alpine and Titan Ridge provide.

Hello!

So I have more or less completed my build and wanted to report back on some things I've found out that could potentially might help other people.

Catalina with the new AMD Radeon 5700 series

- 5700 series are supported on Catalina 10.15.1 out of the box (but needs WEG 1.3.4 and agdpmod pikera on the boot flags). However the installer has a bug so you can't use this GPU to install Catalina. I had to use the iGPU for that and then change it to the 5700. If you are doing an upgrade it shouldn't be a problem, just make sure you have WEG 1.3.4 and the boot flag.

- Avoid using iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS with Catalina 10.15.1 and the 5700 Series. It will freeze/kernel panic after sleep. My workaround is to use iMac19,1 or just disable sleep. This is already fixed on Catalina 10.15.2 beta 1.

- Catalina 10.15.2 beta 1 fixes the installer problem, but well... it's a beta release. So if you wan to go stable, upgrade from Mojave to Catalina and it will work just fine.

FAQ on Gigabyte Titan Ridge running on an Asus motherboard

- Did you have to install Windows? No, I haven't installed Windows so far to "enable" the card as some guides suggest. I'm not saying it's not always necessary but looks like on my build is not needed.

- How do you have your TB3 card connected? It's on the latest x16 slot. The TB3 header is also connected as well as the USB header. PCIe power is also connected, but I think this is more for Power Delivery capabilities. I don't know if this works as I don't have any device to test it

- Does this card works natively on macOS? Yes, this is the same chip some of the new Macs use. If you get the Alpine Ridge card instead (previous version) it will work too.

- Why do you even bother with this card? It's the only way to get the LG Ultrafine 5k running at full REAL 5k. In order to do this you require to have 2 DisplayPort-in which both the Alpine and Titan Ridge provide.

I also didn't have to do anything in Windows for my Thunderbolt to work in macOS.

Hmmm, I have not got the ASUS ThunderboltEX 3 card to work on MyHero Z170 system running macOS. Would you @bluepr0 and @pastrychef recommend the Gigabyte Titan Ridge card?

I wonder if would work on MyHero II Z370 which does not have a motherboard TB header.

I would appreciate your insights. TIA.

Hmmm, I have not got the ASUS ThunderboltEX 3 card to work on MyHero Z170 system running macOS. Would you @bluepr0 and @pastrychef recommend the Gigabyte Titan Ridge card?

I wonder if would work on MyHero II Z370 which does not have a motherboard TB header.

I really don't know... I just took a shot with the Gigabyte GC-Titan Ridge and hoped for the best... I was really lucky it worked out so easily. I chose the Gigabyte card because I was hoping it would work better with my Gigabyte motherboard. I don't know what the differences are between the Asus card and the Gigabyte card.

I did try to plug the Titan Ridge card in the my Z370 (which does NOT have a Thunderbolt header) and the card wasn't seen at all. I suspect that it may have been due to the fact that the PCI-e slot is direct to CPU and not passed through the PCH.

I suspect this because on my Gigabyte Z390, the slot used for Thunderbolt is passed through PCH while the PCI-e slot used for GPU has all 16 lanes that goes directly to CPU. On the Asus Z370, the two PCI-e x16 slots are bifurcated to x8 + x8 and are direct to CPU.

On your Maximus X Hero, you have two x16 slots that go to the CPU while the third x16 slot (which operates at x4) should go through the PCH. If the Thunderbolt card has any chance of working, I suspect that the third slot will have to be used.

The Titan ridge will only work with Z370 and up. In order to get it working on the Z170 you will have to go with the Alpine Ridge which is compatible with the Z170 chipset (see https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GC-ALPINE-RIDGE-rev-10#ov)

I have updated and now i have a black screen.
I won't get into the bios. There is also a black screen, after F2/DEL Message.
What can i do to get the machine work again?

EDIT:
OK,
"agdpmod=pikera" worked for me.

What do i have to do now?

Just update the EFI Folder to 5.1.5? Is it enough?

Last edited:
I have updated and now i have a black screen.
I won't get into the bios. There is also a black screen, after F2/DEL Message.
What can i do to get the machine work again?

EDIT:
OK,
"agdpmod=pikera" worked for me.

What do i have to do now?

Just update the EFI Folder to 5.1.5? Is it enough?

It would have been easier if you updated to EFI 5.1.5 prior to updating macOS... But yeah, you can do the update. Just copy/paste your Serial, Board Serial, and UUID from your working config.plist to the config.plist in EFI 5.1.5.

Back