Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

I've spent all morning trying to figure out why FileVault is broken with Catalina 10.15.1 + Clover... I've made zero progress... :banghead:

Does it work with Opencore? Because the acidanthera group has stated very clearly that all of their software development will only go forward with Opencore.......I'm not happy about that, mind you, but at that "other" site, their Developers stated that about as clearly as they could. Opencore is their main focus, not Clover.

EDIT: On my real Mac, FileVault is fine.....you probably guessed that, but I thought you might want to know that the issue is not a bug 10.15.1, it's an issue with Clover or the way Clover and it's kexts, aml files, and drivers work........

Last edited:
Does it work with Opencore? Because the acidanthera group has stated very clearly that all of their software development will only go forward with Opencore.......I'm not happy about that, mind you, but in that "other" site, their Developers stated that about as clearly as they could. Opencore is their main focus, not Clover.

Yes. FileVault works fine with Catalina 10.15.1 + OpenCore.

I just wanted to get it working with Clover since, officially, OpenCore is still in beta...

But aren't the drivers for FileVault on a hackintosh mostly coming from software that the acidanthera group develops? Or do I have that wrong?

But aren't the drivers for FileVault on a hackintosh mostly coming from software that the acidanthera group develops? Or do I have that wrong?

There's one set of drivers included with the Clover installer that doesn't work for me with Catalina 10.15.1.

There's another set of drivers from Acidanthera that have mostly been merged in to OpenCore.

There's another one that was 32-bit...

None are working for me with 10.15.1 + Clover...

Anyone interested in the 9900KS? Does it seem likes gonna be worth it or will it be better to just grab a 9900K? I'm still rocking the 8700K at the moment.

Compared to 9900K, the 9900KS is ~6% faster at ~34% higher TDP, which doesn't sound like a good deal. At least, it's only slightly more expensive, so if you need it now (i.e. you have heavily threaded workloads) and you can find it, then I'd say go for it.

Although keep in mind that soon (Q1 2020) there'll probably be a new 10-core (heaven knows at what TDP) and a new chipset (Z490?). You'd probably be able to get a similarly fast 8-core 10700K(?) + MB (+ change?), for what the 9900KS goes for now.

For gaming the 8700K (especially when overclocked) should be fine. Games favor higher clock speeds over cores and you'd also need a top end graphics card for any (if at all) appreciable improvements to show.

I just wanted to get it working with Clover since, officially, OpenCore is still in beta...

There's a new release (5098) at the official Clover repository with "Improve Catalina compatibility" changes. Maybe it helps.

Hmmm, so OpenCore is still in beta, while at the same time they dropped support for Clover. That's like a rock and a hard place.

Last edited:
There's a new release (5098) at the official Clover repository with "Improve Catalina compatibility" changes. Maybe it helps.

Hmmm, so OpenCore is still in beta, while at the same time they dropped support for Clover. That's like a rock and a hard place.

Yes, I already tried with Clover r5098... Still no success.

I believe the problem is related to GPU. I tried with and without WhateverGreen and I even tried with an Nvidia GT 640. Still no success...

The distinction between beta and released software when we have no access to paid support and no legal recourse seems a bit murky to me. I'm more concerned with whether it works for me than anything else. Right now, as it is, OpenCore works for me better than Clover.

@pastrychef did you see any big differences to OpenCore between Clover? is it really faster than Clover?

The distinction between beta and released software when we have no access to paid support and no legal recourse seems a bit murky to me. I'm more concerned with whether it works for me than anything else. Right now, as it is, OpenCore works for me better than Clover.

I look at it more as an indication of how confident the devs are about its reliability/stability.

Back