Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

Sorry for asking, but I am not quite sure if an upgrade or a new installation of Catalina will be the best.
I do have a perfect Mojave installation. Thank you, pastrychef.
If I make an upgrade, do I have to safe my EFI?
If I make a new installation, do I have to safe my EFI, or should I build a new one?

Sorry for asking, but I am not quite sure if an upgrade or a new installation of Catalina will be the best.
I do have a perfect Mojave installation. Thank you, pastrychef.
If I make an upgrade, do I have to safe my EFI?
If I make a new installation, do I have to safe my EFI, or should I build a new one?

Either way works. I went about 13 years without doing a clean install. If you keep your system relatively clean, there's no reason why you can't just do an upgrade.

If you are using my EFI folder, you can update to the newest one.
  1. Make backups of everything.
  2. Download the latest EFI folder.
  3. Open your old config.plist with Clover Configurator.
  4. Copy your current Serial, Board Serial, and UUID.
  5. Open the config.plist in the new EFI folder with Clover Configurator.
  6. Paste your current Serial, Board Serial, and UUID to the new config.plist.
  7. Save.
  8. Replace your old EFI folder with the new EFI folder.
  9. Done.

Last edited:
Hi, I returned today from a wonderful holiday in the United States :headbang:, and just now I have upgraded to Catalina.
The update went perfectly (20 minutes approx)!!!
I only have iGPU Intel HD 630, and I didn't need to add -disablegfxfirmware.
I don't use iMacPro1,1 system definition, I don't have a dGPU. I lose the graphics acceleration, but with iMac19.2 it works just fine.
I use OpenCore (EFI of pastrychef)
Now I enjoy Catalina and I hope everything goes perfectly ...
catalina.png

Under full load, I hear the movement of air, but not really the fans much. It's not annoying or offensive.

Replaced stock fans with Noctua NF-A12’s ... wow! What a difference! Went from jet engine to light hum at full load. Really surprised at the difference.

Final Cut editing is peaceful again.

So, I got my system working about 90% on Mojave 10.14.6.

I was using Hackintool to do all the USB port mapping, when I came to the realization that none of my USB 3.0 ports are recognizing USB 3 devices. If I plug a USB2 thumb drive into a 3.0 port, it's recognized. If I plug a 3.0 device into a 2.0. port, it's recognized. If I plug a 3.0 device into a 3.0 port... snake eyes. If I plug a 3.0 device into a 3.1 port, it's fine.

My system is set up as a dual boot, and the 3.0 ports work perfect in Windows 10, so it's not a UEFI or hardware issue. I've tried 4 USB 3.0 drives. Nothing.

Ever hear of such a thing? Could it be a patch or kext that I need, or one that I have that I shouldn't? this one has me stumped.

Replaced stock fans with Noctua NF-A12’s ... wow! What a difference! Went from jet engine to light hum at full load. Really surprised at the difference.

Final Cut editing is peaceful again.

Hi @Scott1204

Regarding fan noise, I see reports from several users in your position and I'd like to share some thoughts.

First of all, the NF-A12x25 is a fantastic fan (although at a premium price), but its difference in noise performance is not as dramatic as it appears, compared to the SP120L you had (their airflow is pretty similar, so cooling wise they should be about the same).
  • SP120L - max 2700 RPM
  • NF-A12x25 - max 2000 RPM (1700 RPM, with the LNA adaptor)
Noise at 1250 RPM, from TechPowerUp's review of NF-A12, looks like this :

noise-1250-rpm.png

The NF-A12 is ~3.5dBA quieter. For most people, a 3dBA increase is barely perceived to be louder (inside a case even less so). The big difference in noise that you hear is due to your motherboard's fan profile, which by default is probably set like this:

q-fan.jpeg

So when your CPU reaches 65℃, the BIOS will push the fan to 90% duty cycle which means:
  • SP120L at ~2450 RPM (no wonder it sounded like a jet engine)
  • NF-A12x25 at ~1550 RPM (I assume that you used the LNA adaptor)
The take away is that many fan noise problems stem from the default fan curve. It is not well suited for high RPM fans and most often than not, needs to be adjusted (you drag the points up and down in the graph).

Last edited:
So, I got my system working about 90% on Mojave 10.14.6.

I was using Hackintool to do all the USB port mapping, when I came to the realization that none of my USB 3.0 ports are recognizing USB 3 devices. If I plug a USB2 thumb drive into a 3.0 port, it's recognized. If I plug a 3.0 device into a 2.0. port, it's recognized. If I plug a 3.0 device into a 3.0 port... snake eyes. If I plug a 3.0 device into a 3.1 port, it's fine.

My system is set up as a dual boot, and the 3.0 ports work perfect in Windows 10, so it's not a UEFI or hardware issue. I've tried 4 USB 3.0 drives. Nothing.

Ever hear of such a thing? Could it be a patch or kext that I need, or one that I have that I shouldn't? this one has me stumped.

The EFI folders should have all the necessary USB port limit patches needed.

You can check for a specific patch for Mojave 10.14.6...

Yes, DRM is working. I tested Amazon Prime videos and streaming Apple TV shows.

Mojave also worked without WhateverGreen, but you lose DisplayPort/HDMI audio and only one video out port will work.
With this configuration have you been able to test If Sidecar works? I've found that I basically have to make a choice between - iMacPro1,1 if I want to have no DRM issues on Safari and the Apple TV app. OR iMac19,1 if I want sidecar to work. Just wondering if anyone has found a way to make both work.

With this configuration have you been able to test If Sidecar works? I've found that I basically have to make a choice between - iMacPro1,1 if I want to have no DRM issues on Safari and the Apple TV app. OR iMac19,1 if I want sidecar to work. Just wondering if anyone has found a way to make both work.

I don't have a Sidecar compatible iPad so I can't test...

Yes, that's what I've been reading. iMacPro1,1 will allow for DRM to work but Sidecar won't. iMac19,x will allow Sidecar to work but DRM won't. The reason is that Sidecar relies on IGPU to work on iMac19,x and relies on T2 chip to work on iMacPro1,1.

The EFI folders should have all the necessary USB port limit patches needed.

You can check for a specific patch for Mojave 10.14.6...
My understanding, with USBInjectall we didn't need the port limit patches?

Derp. I figured it out. I didn't apply the patch before doing port discovery, then loaded the SSDTs... the patch had no effect. <facepalm />

Last edited:
Back