Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

Hey @pastrychef

an update on this, in case you want to consider it for your EFI folder. vit9696 had a look at it and provided a kernel patch as a workaround. Several users seem to face this panic on wake, under Catalina.

Find: 63 6F 6D 2E 61 70 70 6C 65 00 5F 5F 6B 65 72 6E 65 6C 5F 5F 00 Repl: 6E 6F 74 2E 61 70 70 6C 65 00 5F 5F 6B 65 72 6E 65 6C 5F 5F 00

I think that your use of iMacPro SMBIOS and having your iGPU disabled(?) might have prevented this from surfacing.

It might also be helpful in the first post of the main Catalina thread as a potential problem warning.

Thanks for the heads up. Is this patch for AppleHDA.kext?

Thanks for the heads up. Is this patch for AppleHDA.kext?

Probably, but I'm not really sure. This is the explanation that vit9696 provided:
An additional security measure was added to macOS Catalina (10.15) causing
kernel panic on power change timeout for Apple drivers. Sometimes it may cause
issues on misconfigured hardware, notably digital audio, which sometimes fails
to wake up. For debug kernels \texttt{setpowerstate\_panic=0} boot argument
should be used, which is otherwise equivalent to this quirk.

Probably, but I'm not really sure. This is the explanation that vit9696 provided:

Thank you for the info. I'll add the patch in the evening.

I expect more incompatibilities with the kexts from acidanthera in the future as they no longer verify for Clover compatibility...

I expect more incompatibilities with the kexts from acidanthera in the future as they no longer verify for Clover compatibility...
I think that this particular one would have happened even under OpenCore, since he added a "quirk" there to handle it.

But yes, you are right, it was made very clear that they don't care for Clover. They might be right, OpenCore might be significantly cleaner/better. I'll give it a try.

Hey @pastrychef, are you still using your Noctua NH-D15S? How's your noise level under heavy load?

I have a Corsair H80i. I'm debating replacing or just changing the fans to Noctua. Under load, it sounds like a jet engine...pretty annoying for Final Cut editing. Want to substantially quiet things down.

@pastrychef After clean install Catalina I am trying to create ACPI origins files with F4 command on clover GUI but when I check inside of the origins folder its always empty. How can I create these files? do you know any different way?

Hey @pastrychef, are you still using your Noctua NH-D15S? How's your noise level under heavy load?

I have a Corsair H80i. I'm debating replacing or just changing the fans to Noctua. Under load, it sounds like a jet engine...pretty annoying for Final Cut editing. Want to substantially quiet things down.

Under full load, I hear the movement of air, but not really the fans much. It's not annoying or offensive.

@pastrychef After clean install Catalina I am trying to create ACPI origins files with F4 command on clover GUI but when I check inside of the origins folder its always empty. How can I create these files? do you know any different way?

I've always just done it by pressing F4 at the Clover boot menu.

I know it can be done in Linux, but I've never tried and it's not the recommended way to do it.

While in BIOS, press F6 to enter Q-Fan configuration. From there you can select the fan header that you have your fans connected to and adjust the fan curves to something less offensive. You can make them whisper quiet if you want, at the expense of higher temperatures of course.

I updated my EFI folder.

BTW, if you are like me, you often use the "Save As..." feature. Unfortunately, it has been removed from macOS for quite some time. Luckily, we can get back the functionality...

Go to System Preference > Keyboard > Shortcuts > Add Shortcuts.

Screen Shot 2019-10-17 at 5.59.22 PM.png

The keyboard shortcut from older versions of macOS was [Shift]+[Option]+[Command]+S. I kept it the same.

Last edited:
Back