Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

I didn't even try to configure OpenCore for my Z390 yet. It took quite a bit of time just to get a semi-reliable Clover EFI configured. Lack of NVRAM support is a royal PITA...

For the past week, I have been trying to figure out what is the best/most reliable overclocks to run my CPU and RAM at.

I'm trying to setup a Z390 (asus Prime A) system too... and I'm encountering some caveats... can you share your config.plist? I would like to be sure that i'm doing in the right direction. Thanks!

You also mentioned that you upgraded to Radeon VII solely for Windows games, but have you also experienced some better performance under MacOS?

I'm trying to setup a Z390 (asus Prime A) system too... and I'm encountering some caveats... can you share your config.plist? I would like to be sure that i'm doing in the right direction. Thanks!

You also mentioned that you upgraded to Radeon VII solely for Windows games, but have you also experienced some better performance under MacOS?

My EFI may or may not work for you OOB. You may encounter Aptio fix problems, i.e. stopping at "End random seed". If this happens, try resetting the system a few times to see if it helps. If not, try changing the Aptio fix driver by replacing OsxAptioFix3Drv with AptioMemoryFix, OsxAptioFixDrv, etc.

Be careful with OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000. The dev of that driver has warned against its use for fear of damaging users' hardware.

Everything else should work fine on Z390. Keep in mind that I have it configured for iMacPro1,1 and IGPU should be disabled in BIOS. Also, remember to populate Serial, Board Serial, and UUID.

The Radeon VII has been running great on macOS. I really don't do enough to take full advantage of it, but based on benchmarks, it's much better than my old Vega 56 and it consumes less power and runs cooler.

Attachments

• pastrychef generic Z390 EFI.zip
    13.4 MB · Views: 70
My EFI may or may not work for you OOB. You may encounter Aptio fix problems, i.e. stopping at "End random seed". If this happens, try resetting the system a few times to see if it helps. If not, try changing the Aptio fix driver by replacing OsxAptioFix3Drv with AptioMemoryFix, OsxAptioFixDrv, etc.

Be careful with OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000. The dev of that driver has warned against its use for fear of damaging users' hardware.

Everything else should work fine on Z390. Keep in mind that I have it configured for iMacPro1,1 and IGPU should be disabled in BIOS. Also, remember to populate Serial, Board Serial, and UUID.

THANK YOU!

I'm experimenting with Aptiofix drivers and with my Asus Z390 Prime A, and it seems that AptioMemoryFix is working just fine (Clover v. 5070); everything else is working fine too: sleep/wake, USB ports (with devices that survive correctly to sleep/wake cycles). I'm installed EMUVariableUEFI and related RC script on boot volume. The only thing is that:

• if I chance something in BIOS then I'm unable to boot (HALT on boot). Then I have to press F11 to clean up NVRAM and then everything is going fine again. Which is pretty disappointed, are you experiencing the same with your GA Z390?
  • I've experienced a couple of random freezes in MacOS, both after the wakeup.. but I really don't know what they could be related to...
Another thing I've noted is that your config has a lot of patches in ACPI->DSDT section and, also, much more Fixes enabled than mine's. But I don't know if those are related strictly to your motherboard or if they are more related to the "Z390" world.

Here is my config attached (I just strip out the serial's related info). Please have a look. Thanks!

Attachments

• config.plist
    8.2 KB · Views: 78
THANK YOU!

I'm experimenting with Aptiofix drivers and with my Asus Z390 Prime A, and it seems that AptioMemoryFix is working just fine (Clover v. 5070); everything else is working fine too: sleep/wake, USB ports (with devices that survive correctly to sleep/wake cycles). I'm installed EMUVariableUEFI and related RC script on boot volume. The only thing is that:

• if I chance something in BIOS then I'm unable to boot (HALT on boot). Then I have to press F11 to clean up NVRAM and then everything is going fine again. Which is pretty disappointed, are you experiencing the same with your GA Z390?
  • I've experienced a couple of random freezes in MacOS, both after the wakeup.. but I really don't know what they could be related to...
Another thing I've noted is that your config has a lot of patches in ACPI->DSDT section and, also, much more Fixes enabled than mine's. But I don't know if those are related strictly to your motherboard or if they are more related to the "Z390" world.

Here is my config attached (I just strip out the serial's related info). Please have a look. Thanks!

Yeah, the NVRAM is what really makes Z390 a pain. Lots of thing can cause inconsistent boot. I think that's just something that Z390 users have to live with because, as far as I know, the problem is with the AMI BIOSes and the hackintosh devs have pretty much given up trying find workarounds.

I also had problems with waking when using AptioMemoryFix. I have not had any wake problems with OsxAptioFix3Drv.

The ACPI DSDT patches I have should work for most Z390 users. Whatever patches aren't needed shouldn't cause any damage.

In your config.plist, you have ECH1 to EH01 and ECH2 to EH02. Are you sure you need those?

In your config.plist, you have ECH1 to EH01 and ECH2 to EH02. Are you sure you need those?

Uhm... probably it's something we don't need anymore... it comes from some USB guide by Rehabman... but nowadays that stuff is over!

Kernel Panic and reboot over here. :( with Catalina, never had that on Mojave.
@pastrychef can you have a look

Attachments

• Reboot.txt
    5.9 KB · Views: 196
What do you see when you boot in verbose mode?
I’ll have to try that, I’ll be back
It just boots normal, Than after 25 minutes it reboots PK - Message in txt file

Last edited:
Back