Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

I do not even use them on my Windows box. Manual clocking of the memory advertised clock speed is always better. Using an XMP profile is for Jo bob never built a computer before. You only need to set the clock speed of the memory. The rest of the timings can be left to Auto and they should set the correct timings. The only time ever I have had an issue with my memory was with XMP enabled. It is one setting that I will leave disabled for the rest of my life!

Also thanks for your always nicely prepared EFI with updated clover. I had some issues with Catalina update. After install, I used your EFI, and my config file and USB.ssdt, and all was well.

To be fair, the RAM I'm using is not on the QVL for my Gigabyte Z390 motherboard. It's the same set of RAM that I've been using since my Z170 build. That being said, it's pretty cool to have my 3400MHz RAM running at 3600MHz.

Interesting facts:
- Final Cut now has better performance again with my Vega 64 (Sapphire NITRO+), BruceX benchmarks are back to 12 seconds, in Mojave 10.14.6 it's 23 seconds... quite a difference.
BTW... Scratch that, I just updated FCP to 10.4.7 because it "has better support for Vega II, Metal, bla, bla" and my results are only 12 seconds on the first benchmark pass, after that, it gets increasingly slower, by the third pass it's more than 24 seconds.
I give up troubleshooting FCP, performance changes back and forth with every OS or FCP update, there's zero to no info out there so I'll probably switch to DaVinci Resolve for video editing.

On another note, when using the USB SSDT and uia_exclude we have to disable all these patches right?:
Screenshot 2019-10-10 at 22.22.26.png

To be fair, the RAM I'm using is not on the QVL for my Gigabyte Z390 motherboard. It's the same set of RAM that I've been using since my Z170 build. That being said, it's pretty cool to have my 3400MHz RAM running at 3600MHz.

But you manually clocked it? right?

BTW... Scratch that, I just updated FCP to 10.4.7 because it "has better support for Vega II, Metal, bla, bla" and my results are only 12 seconds on the first benchmark pass, after that, it gets increasingly slower, by the third pass it's more than 24 seconds.
I give up troubleshooting FCP, performance changes back and forth with every OS or FCP update, there's zero to no info out there so I'll probably switch to DaVinci Resolve for video editing.

On another note, when using the USB SSDT and uia_exclude we have to disable all these patches right?:
View attachment 429787

Supposedly, FCPX performance on Catalina is much improved from Mojave.

Yes, disable or delete all of those once you have a proper USB 15 port limit fix in place.

But you manually clocked it? right?

When I was using my RAM in my Z170 and Z370 builds, I just used the XMP profiles. When I use the same RAM in my Z390, I manually set everything.

When I was using my RAM in my Z170 and Z370 builds, I just used the XMP profiles. When I use the same RAM in my Z390, I manually set everything.

Got it. I was referring to currently, I know other people have no issues with XMP like your self in your older builds. I have just found it to not like me.

Got it. I was referring to currently, I know other people have no issues with XMP like your self in your older builds. I have just found it to not like me.

It seems that XMP is very motherboard (and maybe CPU) dependent. Definitely not a one size fits all situation.

It seems that XMP is very motherboard (and maybe CPU) dependent. Definitely not a one size fits all situation.

I am not sure about that I tried 8 Sticks of memory, 5 Video cards 4 CPU, 3 Motherboard, 2 power supply, 1 case. Sounds almost like a Christmas song lol XMP was bad for me always.

I am not sure about that I tried 8 Sticks of memory, 5 Video cards 4 CPU, 3 Motherboard, 2 power supply, 1 case. Sounds almost like a Christmas song lol XMP was bad for me always.

My understanding is that much of it depends on the integrated memory controller on the CPUs. Then, you have motherboard implementations to contend with... That's why there's always a disclaimer on XMP RAM product pages.

It took me a while to figure out what was causing some of the instability with my Z390 build. Then I looked at the G.Skill RAM configurator and realized that they sold 3200MHz and 3600MHz RAM for my motherboard but nothing in between. That's when it dawned on me that it might be my 3400MHz RAM or it's clock/timings...

My understanding is that much of it depends on the integrated memory controller on the CPUs. Then, you have motherboard implementations to contend with... That's why there's always a disclaimer on XMP RAM product pages.

It took me a while to figure out what was causing some of the instability with my Z390 build. Then I looked at the G.Skill RAM configurator and realized that they sold 3200MHz and 3600MHz RAM for my motherboard but nothing in between. That's when it dawned on me that it might be my 3400MHz RAM or it's clock/timings...

I see and that totally could have been my issue, since the base clock of the memory for the system 2800 but my memory is only 2666.. Also slower and faster but I do not know the other speeds I would have to look at them.

Back