Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

Ahh..I hear you have to tread carefully when delidding an i9-9900k?
I delidded and used cryonaut liquid metal . I have an ek velocity cpu block, and 2 Alphacool Nexus radiators . A 360 and a 280mm . Liquid is surging via a D5 with Bitspower Mod top, pump kit with a 250ml res up on top.

Prime 95 for 47 minutes. Lexmark, Real bench and HW monitor for cpu stressing.
I should have went with a z390 master or Extreme for OC'ing my 8086.
I feel that the Asrock Z370 Tai chi may have been a bottleneck for the 8086. I'm mostly in it for content creation so I chose the designare.

However with a good overclocking board and with Ram timings tightened right up, I have no doubt I can hit 5.6 ghz on liquid Pastrychef

The Hottest ever on Prime was 73 on 1 core than dropped back to Mid- 60's

Ahh..I hear you have to tread carefully when delidding an i9-9900k?
I delidded and used cryonaut liquid metal . I have an ek velocity cpu block, and 2 Alphacool Nexus radiators . A 360 and a 280mm . Liquid is surging via a D5 with Bitspower Mod top, pump kit with a 250ml res up on top.

Prime 95 for 47 minutes. Lexmark, Real bench and HW monitor for cpu stressing.
I should have went with a z390 master or Extreme for OC'ing my 8086.
I feel that the Asrock Z370 Tai chi may have been a bottleneck for the 8086. I'm mostly in it for content creation so I chose the designare.

However with a good overclocking board and with Ram timings tightened right up, I have no doubt I can hit 5.6 ghz on liquid Pastrychef
The Hottest ever on Prime was 73 on 1 core than dropped back to Mid- 60's

Geez. That's a crazy elaborate cooling system. I'm just on a Noctua NH-D15S. Lol

I get approx 80C or so in Prime95. When I run Prime95, I try to leave it running for at least 2 hours.

I've booted to 5.2GHz on 1.35v but backed it back down to 5.0GHz on 1.270v and "Turbo" LLC for 24/7 use. I'm going to see if I can get 5.1GHz stable on 1.30v or less and monitor temps. If it's in the mid-80s on Prime95, I'll keep it.

This is on my Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming. On my Z370-G, I needed 1.330v for a stable 5.0GHz.

The superior VRM of my Z390 over my Z370 is clearly evident. However, I have found my Gigabyte Z390 to be extremely finicky about RAM. My G.Skill RAM would not run reliably at it's XMP profile and I had to loosen timings slightly. The same kit of RAM runs perfectly on my Asus Z370... I wish there were more mATX choices with good VRM.

Geez. That's a crazy elaborate cooling system. I'm just on a Noctua NH-D15S. Lol

I get approx 80C or so in Prime95. When I run Prime95, I try to leave it running for at least 2 hours.

I've booted to 5.2GHz on 1.35v but backed it back down to 5.0GHz on 1.270v and "Turbo" LLC for 24/7 use. I'm going to see if I can get 5.1GHz stable on 1.30v or less and monitor temps. If it's in the mid-80s on Prime95, I'll keep it.

This is on my Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming. On my Z370-G, I needed 1.330v for a stable 5.0GHz.

The superior VRM of my Z390 over my Z370 is clearly evident. However, I have found my Gigabyte Z390 to be extremely finicky about RAM. My G.Skill RAM would not run reliably at it's XMP profile and I had to loosen timings slightly. The same kit of RAM runs perfectly on my Asus Z370... I wish there were more mATX choices with good VRM.

Which OC settings are you using for Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming? did you share on the first page?

Which OC settings are you using for Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming? did you share on the first page?

I didn't even try to configure OpenCore for my Z390 yet. It took quite a bit of time just to get a semi-reliable Clover EFI configured. Lack of NVRAM support is a royal PITA...

For the past week, I have been trying to figure out what is the best/most reliable overclocks to run my CPU and RAM at.

I didn't even try to configure OpenCore for my Z390 yet. It took quite a bit of time just to get a semi-reliable Clover EFI configured. Lack of NVRAM support is a royal PITA...

For the past week, I have been trying to figure out what is the best/most reliable overclocks to run my CPU and RAM at.
You got me wrong! Sorry! :oops: Of course, now there is a new OC. ;) I mentioned OverClock. Your previous post is about to OverClock, that's why I asked your OC settings for Z390 M.

You got me wrong! Sorry! :oops: Of course, now there is a new OC. ;) I mentioned OverClock. Your previous post is about to OverClock, that's why I asked your OC settings for Z390 M.

Ah... I'm currently using 5.0GHz @ 1.270v with "Turbo" LLC. My RAM is at 3600MHz with 16-19-19-39.

I want to try 5.1GHz and see if it can be stable with about 1.29-1.30v. The RAM requires more time to test so I will leave that as-is for now.

Ah... I'm currently using 5.0GHz @ 1.270v with "Turbo" LLC. My RAM is at 3600MHz with 16-19-19-39.

I want to try 5.1GHz and see if it can be stable with about 1.29-1.30v. The RAM requires more time to test so I will leave that as-is for now.
My Ram is old Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 64GB 2400MHz. Not sure it will support 5.0GHz? But I will try. We will see what will happen :thumbup:

My Ram is old Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 64GB 2400MHz. Not sure it will support 5.0GHz? But I will try. We will see what will happen :thumbup:

You don't have to overclock the RAM. You can leave the RAM settings as-is if they are working correctly. The only reason why I started messing with my RAM was because it did not run reliably on my Z390 motherboard with the built-in XMP profile.

built-in XMP profile.

I do not even use them on my Windows box. Manual clocking of the memory advertised clock speed is always better. Using an XMP profile is for Jo bob never built a computer before. You only need to set the clock speed of the memory. The rest of the timings can be left to Auto and they should set the correct timings. The only time ever I have had an issue with my memory was with XMP enabled. It is one setting that I will leave disabled for the rest of my life!

Also thanks for your always nicely prepared EFI with updated clover. I had some issues with Catalina update. After install, I used your EFI, and my config file and USB.ssdt, and all was well.

Back