Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

One question about Radeon VII.
I'm having an issue with Radeon VII with SMBIOS iMacPro1,1 and 10.14.6 (latest ver).
Asus X299 Sage WS, i9 9940X.
FCPX doesn't render the Bruce test export for H264 "Better Quality" video encoder. It basically stops at 84%.
Does anyone know how to fix this?

I have never heard of anyone with this issue...

I have never heard of anyone with this issue...
Strange I rebooted the system and re run the rendering and it just worked.
I don't know...all these false positives :D
Sorry to disturb.

How's Catalina running?
Beside EC0 to EC_ is there anything else that must be set in order to run Z370/390 boards?
is it running smoothly? Better than Mojave 10.14.6?

Thanks!!

Last edited:
Strange I rebooted the system and re run the rendering and it just worked.
I don't know...all these false positives :D
Sorry to disturb.

How's Catalina running?
Beside EC0 to EC_ is there anything else that must be set in order to run Z370/390 boards?
is it running smoothly? Better than Mojave 10.14.6?

Thanks!!

Yes, EC0 to EC is no longer an option. But I've had that in place since the beginning so it was never a problem for me.

All I did was update Clover and everything went smoothly.

So far, Catalina has been running nicely. I did a clean install for the first time since around 2006 because I wanted to clean out all the legacy stuff I had from old 32-bit apps. Hopefully, the next time I need to do a clean install will be when macOS becomes 128-bit only...

As some of you may know, I've been using a single USB macOS installer as my emergency booter for all my hacks. This worked beautifully when all my hacks essentially used the same Clover drivers. Directions on how to do this can be found here.

A problem arose when I added a Z390 system to the family... My Z390 system uses OsxAptioFix3Drv + EmuVarialbeUefi + Test2, drivers that none of my other hacks use.

To add support for my Z390 to my USB macOS Installer:
  1. Navigate to /EFI/CLOVER/drivers/UEFI/ on the USB flash drive.
  2. Copy the all the drivers that are used by all my hacks to this folder.
  3. Edit config.plists > Disable Drivers of each of my hacks and disable the Clover drivers not needed and/or incompatible with that particular system.

So, once again, I have a single USB macOS Installer that I can use to boot every one of my hacks in emergencies. :headbang:

@pastrychef is your DRM fully works? I am using SMBIOS 19,1 and disabled IGPU on BIOS. My movies and extras working. But when I try to dramas free first episodes it doesn't show up. Just the first 30 sec (which is the ad before the show) shows than goes to the black screen. I thought it can be a regional block? Cause HBO, Straz, CBS, etc. does not work without a VPN normally, it’s due to rights issues.

BTW, Catalina works without WEG.

@pastrychef is your DRM fully works? I am using SMBIOS 19,1 and disabled IGPU on BIOS. My movies and extras working. But when I try to dramas free first episodes it doesn't show up. Just the first 30 sec (which is the ad before the show) shows than goes to the black screen. I thought it can be a regional block? Cause HBO, Straz, CBS, etc. does not work without a VPN normally, it’s due to rights issues.

BTW, Catalina works without WEG.

Yes, DRM is working. I tested Amazon Prime videos and streaming Apple TV shows.

Mojave also worked without WhateverGreen, but you lose DisplayPort/HDMI audio and only one video out port will work.

Yes, DRM is working. I tested Amazon Prime videos and streaming Apple TV shows.

Mojave also worked without WhateverGreen, but you lose DisplayPort/HDMI audio and only one video out port will work.

The TV app does not work for me. No issues web streaming though. I noticed the shikivga param was removed from the latest EFI. So, I removed this to see if it was perhaps no longer needed. I suspect adding it back (I had it set to 1) will fix the DRM issue with TV.

Thanks again for the updates to the EFI, @pastrychef

Also, did you mention anywhere in this thread why you moved from Vega 56 to Radeon VII? Just better performance?

The TV app does not work for me. No issues web streaming though. I noticed the shikivga param was removed from the latest EFI. So, I removed this to see if it was perhaps no longer needed. I suspect adding it back (I had it set to 1) will fix the DRM issue with TV.

Thanks again for the updates to the EFI, @pastrychef

Also, did you mention anywhere in this thread why you moved from Vega 56 to Radeon VII? Just better performance?

If you want full working DRM, use iMacPro1,1 system definition.

The sole reason why I switched to Radeon VII was for better gaming experience in Windows.

If you want full working DRM, use iMacPro1,1 system definition.

The sole reason why I switched to Radeon VII was for better gaming experience in Windows.

I seen numerous benchmarks where it goes head to head on 1080, 1080 ti, 2080 and even 2080 ti on a few titles.

I have the Sapphire Nitro Radeon VII and am building my system as we speak with a silicon lottery winner i7 8086 (binned 8700k's) which is delidded and leaves me with sweet temps such as 45-60 degrees celcius @ 5.4 ghz

I am installing on the gigabyte Z390 Designare Mb

I seen numerous benchmarks where it goes head to head on 1080, 1080 ti, 2080 and even 2080 ti on a few titles.

I have the Sapphire Nitro Radeon VII and am building my system as we speak with a silicon lottery winner i7 8086 (binned 8700k's) which is delidded and leaves me with sweet temps such as 45-60 degrees celcius @ 5.4 ghz

I am installing on the gigabyte Z390 Designare Mb

Wow!!! 60C under full load??? Prime95?

I delidded my i9-9900K and get about 80C or so in Prime95 @ 5GHz on air cooling. I will probably test out 5.1GHz this coming week.

Back