Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

If by vanilla, you mean having kexts injected by the bootloader, I've been doing that since day 1 on this build. I never saw any advantage to installing kexts to /Library/Extensions/ and found it to be a PITA when updating or testing things.
TBH, I am not 100% sure what vanilla technically means but I see a lot of hate elsewhere towards non-vanilla methods, especially some tools available here on tony, everything works so I dont really care, was just curious.

No, I personally don't know anyone with a dead Vega, but I'm sure it happens. I've had to RMA two Radeon VIIs myself.

With my dead Radeon VII, it doesn't display anything on power up. It also prevents the bootloader or operating system from loading. I know because there's no disk activity.
2!? Ok, the same was happening here, no display, and it was stopping the bootloader from loading, now I am less worried about it being my fault somehow, thanks!

I don't know why there's a difference but I wouldn't worry about 1MHz. I don't know what to enter in Clover for overclocking. I've never done it.
1Mhz difference doesn't worry me, the only problem about it is some Audio software (from Native Instruments) takes note of clock speed's, if they change the software thinks the whole system changed and all the software licenses need reauthorizing. I guess I'll need to do some research.

Thanks man, you're awesome, wish I could buy you a beer or two one day :D

TBH, I am not 100% sure what vanilla technically means but I see a lot of hate elsewhere towards non-vanilla methods, especially some tools available here on tony, everything works so I dont really care, was just curious...
What hate? Where?

TBH, I am not 100% sure what vanilla technically means but I see a lot of hate elsewhere towards non-vanilla methods, especially some tools available here on tony, everything works so I dont really care, was just curious.

2!? Ok, the same was happening here, no display, and it was stopping the bootloader from loading, now I am less worried about it being my fault somehow, thanks!

1Mhz difference doesn't worry me, the only problem about it is some Audio software (from Native Instruments) takes note of clock speed's, if they change the software thinks the whole system changed and all the software licenses need reauthorizing. I guess I'll need to do some research.

Thanks man, you're awesome, wish I could buy you a beer or two one day :D

I guess that when people say "vanilla", they mean (1) leaving macOS unmodified and (2) keeping everything that makes macOS believe that your computer is a Mac all contained in the EFI. As I said, I've been doing that with this build since day 1. That's why following this build is so easy. Basically, just copy over the EFI folder and you are good to go.

Hackintoshing nowadays leaves macOS unmodified. Even hackintoshing with AMD CPUs no longer requires custom kernels. Whatever patches are necessary can all be accomplished with Clover or OpenCore.

If I'm correct in my assumption of what "vanilla" means, there really isn't much that isn't vanilla when using modern hackintoshing methods.

Last edited:
Today again the internal speakers have disappeared ...
the lime jack is disconnected but the internal speakers are not visible. :think:

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-08-12 at 22.17.34.png
    Screenshot 2019-08-12 at 22.17.34.png
    116.9 KB · Views: 69
Today again the internal speakers have disappeared ...
the lime jack is disconnected but the internal speakers are not visible. :think:

Weird!

Please try clearing NVRAM by pressing F11 at the Clover Boot Menu and, also, please post your config.plist.

Weird!

Please try clearing NVRAM by pressing F11 at the Clover Boot Menu and, also, please post your config.plist.
Nothing happened, here is my efi

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    31.8 MB · Views: 84
Nothing happened, here is my efi

The EFI folder looks fine. I don't know what can cause the Internal port to disappear. Are you sure you are booting from the correct EFI partition?

The EFI folder looks fine. I don't know what can cause the Internal port to disappear. Are you sure you are booting from the correct EFI partition?
How can i verify this? here clover configurator if can help.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-08-12 at 22.40.08.png
    Screenshot 2019-08-12 at 22.40.08.png
    249.4 KB · Views: 61
In BIOS, make sure that the correct drive is selected as the primary boot drive.
In BIOS the setting is correct, tomorrow night I will try to make another clean installation, I'll keep you updated. Thank you very much.

Back