Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

Update #33 (June 30, 2019):
Updated EFI folder to r5.0.4.
  • Clover r4978.
  • AppleALC 1.3.9
  • Lilu 1.3.7
  • WhateverGreen 1.30.

I cannot find any of the above as stable versions. Mine is on:

• Clover r4972
  • AppleALC 1.3.8
  • Lilu 1.3.5
  • WEG 1.28
where did you find all those update kexts? Clover Config is still telling me my system is up to date.

Beside this, I'm still on 18,3 and, since 10.14.5, I'm experiencing some randomly crash (reboot). They are very rare - kind of one per week, but still annoying. Please have a look to my config to see if there is something wrong, because at the moment I'm pretty clueless on reasons why my system rarely crashes.

Attachments

• config.plist
    12.1 KB · Views: 65
I cannot find any of the above as stable versions. Mine is on:

• Clover r4972
  • AppleALC 1.3.8
  • Lilu 1.3.5
  • WEG 1.28
where did you find all those update kexts? Clover Config is still telling me my system is up to date.

Beside this, I'm still on 18,3 and, since 10.14.5, I'm experiencing some randomly crash (reboot). They are very rare - kind of one per week, but still annoying. Please have a look to my config to see if there is something wrong, because at the moment I'm pretty clueless on reasons why my system rarely crashes.

Screen Shot 2019-07-01 at 7.31.55 AM.pngScreen Shot 2019-07-01 at 7.32.06 AM.pngScreen Shot 2019-07-01 at 7.32.12 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-07-01 at 7.35.35 AM.png

I can't see anything in your config.plist that can cause random crashes. It's summer... Are you sure you have enough cooling for the motherboard VRM?

I can't see anything in your config.plist that can cause random crashes. It's summer... Are you sure you have enough cooling for the motherboard VRM?

Thank you! Well, here it's very hot and I don't have AC at home, but my system is not OC'ed and my Noctua NH15D should be enough for my i9-9900K... I set the turbo profile for CPU fan and I've recently added a new Noctua 140mm PWR fan which is actually working pretty well, plus I have another chassis DC fan for mechanical HDDs ... what else?

Thank you! Well, here it's very hot and I don't have AC at home, but my system is not OC'ed and my Noctua NH15D should be enough for my i9-9900K... I set the turbo profile for CPU fan and I've recently added a new Noctua 140mm PWR fan which is actually working pretty well, plus I have another chassis DC fan for mechanical HDDs ... what else?

Even if the i9-9900K is running cool, you still have to pay attention to the motherboard VRM. If they get too hot, it can cause shutdowns or reboots. But it sounds like you have enough fans to keep them cool.

I've been doing some testing with a Vega 56 with "open" style cooler and a Vega 56 with "blower" style cooler. I did my testing with ambient temps around 27-28C. Normally, when using my Vega 56 with blower style cooler, I am able to keep my case fans and CPU fans at ~600rpm without any issues.

If I keep my fans at those speeds and use the Vega 56 with open style cooler, the system will reboot when the video card heats up. In order to regain stability, I need to increase the fans to ~1000rpm. With this setting, I have stressed the video card for over an hour without any issues. The great thing about the Noctua fans is that even at 1000rpm, I can't hear them.

The increase fan speed is to help cool the VRM better, not the CPU.

Last edited:
@pastrychef I need your help. I want to test my RX560 is faulty or not. My screen turns whitish grey while using randomly and I am making force restart from the case. (Last loss happened reading article on Pocket app. But that doesn't mean it is always happening with this app. Sometimes happening watching video on Safari or surfing in Finder or other apps etc) That's why I must use my HD630 for primary GPU while on testing.

I used these settings for a boot but am getting kernel panic while booting on verbose;

AAPL,ig-platform-id 0300983E
device-id 983E0000

Which settings are you suggest to me dGPU setup for the boot?

@pastrychef I need your help. I want to test my RX560 is faulty or not. My screen turns whitish grey while using randomly and I am making force restart from the case. (Last loss happened reading article on Pocket app. But that doesn't mean it is always happening with this app. Sometimes happening watching video on Safari or surfing in Finder or other apps etc) That's why I must use my HD630 for primary GPU while on testing.

I used these settings for a boot but am getting kernel panic while booting on verbose;

device-id 983E0000

Which settings are you suggest to me dGPU setup for the boot?

If you are using the latest Clover, you shouldn't even need to enter anything. Clover will automatically detect your IGPU and the correct device-id/ig-platform-id will automatically be used.

If you really want to enter that stuff manually, 0300983E and 983E0000 should be fine for i9-9900K. That's what real iMac19,1 uses. But even if you use 3E92 or 3E91, it shouldn't cause any problems.

Can you post a picture of your whitish gray screen?
What kind of connection are you using for your monitor? HDMI?
Is it just a color issues? Does the system crash?

If you are using the latest Clover, you shouldn't even need to enter anything. Clover will automatically detect your IGPU and the correct device-id/ig-platform-id will automatically be used.

I am using r4972, is WEG mandatory for this?

If you really want to enter that stuff manually, 0300983E and 983E0000 should be fine for i9-9900K.

But when I use these values I can't make a boot always getting kernel panic.

Can you post a picture of your whitish gray screen?
What kind of connection are you using for your monitor? HDMI?
Is it just a color issues? Does the system crash?

Connection type is HDMI and it is not color issues. Not the system it looks like GPU crashing cause fans are still working. I am just losing screen. I disconnected and plugged the HDMI cable from the case while this happens but it didn't change anything. When I lose the screen no matter what I always must force restart from the case.

I also look at the Console app but I didn't see anything. Actually, I don't know where should I look the exactly for defining this problem :(

I am using r4972, is WEG mandatory for this?

But when I use these values I can't make a boot always getting kernel panic.

Connection type is HDMI and it is not color issues. Not the system it looks like GPU crashing cause fans are still working. I am just losing screen. I disconnected and plugged the HDMI cable from the case while this happens but it didn't change anything. When I lose the screen no matter what I always must force restart from the case.

I also look at the Console app but I didn't see anything. Actually, I don't know where should I look the exactly for defining this problem :(

No, even without WhateverGreen installed, your IGPU should be detected correctly.

That's really weird... Have you tried 3E92?

In my experience, I have found HDMI to be extremely finicky. I try to use DisplayPort whenever possible and only only use HDMI when I'm forced to. If available to you, try DisplayPort or even DVI-D. They are much more reliable.

System Definitions Revisited

All along, I've always preferred using using iMac18,x or iMac19,1 system definitions with IGPU enabled on this hack because of the similarities with CPU and motherboard chipset. I did test the iMacPro1,1 system definition way back when the iMac Pro was first released and, while it worked fine, I ended up going back to iMac18,x.

With the release of macOS 10.14.5, Apple made some changes to how macOS handles GPUs and they improved h.264 and HEVC encoding/decoding handling on iMac Pros. I decided to give the iMacPro1,1 system definition another try. Here's what I found.

View attachment 411331

As you can see, everything is working with iMacPro1,1. There are no compromises. It's only been about two days since I started retesting this system definition, but it has been running great. Until I encounter any issues, I'm going to be sticking with this.
Sorry @pastrychef it's been a while and been very busy lately. Glad your hack is working perfectly with the iMacPro1,1 definition.

So I'm assuming you now disable the iGPU?
What about Quicksync now the iGPU is disabled? Out of curiosity can you still have the iGPU enabled with the iMacPro1,1 definition?

I've been running into a few random darkwakes too from the iMac19,1 definition too so I'm looking to switch definitions

No, even without WhateverGreen installed, your IGPU should be detected correctly.

That's really weird... Have you tried 3E92?

But you're saying this for headless mode, right? I mean RX560 primary IGPU is headless mode?

Cause I tried this;
Latest Clover
Latest WEG
IGPU primary in BIOS
device-id 983E0000

The result is kernel panic on boot.

In my experience, I have found HDMI to be extremely finicky. I try to use DisplayPort whenever possible and only only use HDMI when I'm forced to. If available to you, try DisplayPort or even DVI-D. They are much more reliable.

My display does not have a DP port, only have DVI-D and HDMI. Maybe I must test first DVI-D then try IGPU primary.

Back