Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

Thanks a lot for your reply!
I left the PC last night and found it in sleep. At some point the sleep worked.
This morning I realised I hadn't unticked the bluetooth option "Allow bluetooth devices to wake this computer".
Now sleep works (You have no idea how many attempts and test I tried yesterday).
Maybe, I say maybe, that option with this bluetooth module and bluetooth devices was causing the bounce from sleep. Maybe a signal from the mouse during the sleep attempt was registered from the module so it was bouncing.
Now it seems working.
Thanks again!

I have another question. This motherboard with the i7 8700 seems to be consuming loads of power.
On a Asus Prime Z370-A II with the sane CPU I see a power consumption when testing Cinebench of around 93W at 4.3Ghz. This motherboard's consumption is 114W. In both boards Load Line is at Level 2, but I tested Level 1 with no difference. I've seen ASRock motherboard run Cinebench all core for the same CPU with 85W.
This motherboard doesn't have a bios setting for the "Typical", "Worst Case Scenario" though.
I offset the volts to - 0.040 BUT the improvement is really marginal, maybe only 3/4W.
How do I get it to 93W or better BUT without cutting the power settings and decreasing clock speed?
Do I need to rite to Asus?
Thanks a lot.

I have "Allow Bluetooth devices to wake this computer" enabled. Clicking my Magic Mouse 2 or Magic Trackpad 1 are the only ways I wake system. If I disable that feature, the only other method I would have to wake my system would be to press the power button...

If you are measuring power consumption from the wall, you should also consider other things you have installed in your system such as number hard drives, PCI-e cards, etc. 93W or 114W is extremely efficient when compared to my system. I idle at ~110W... :lol: But I have lots of stuff installed in my system.

If you already have LLC set so low, I don't think there's much else you can do. I have tried to use voltage offsets with my motherboard in the past and saw power consumption increase when compared to not using offsets. I know it doesn't make sense, but that's what I observed and I immediately stopped using the offsets.

I have "Allow Bluetooth devices to wake this computer" enabled. Clicking my Magic Mouse 2 or Magic Trackpad 1 are the only ways I wake system. If I disable that feature, the only other method I would have to wake my system would be to press the power button...

If you are measuring power consumption from the wall, you should also consider other things you have installed in your system such as number hard drives, PCI-e cards, etc. 93W or 114W is extremely efficient when compared to my system. I idle at ~110W... :lol: But I have lots of stuff installed in my system.

If you already have LLC set so low, I don't think there's much else you can do. I have tried to use voltage offsets with my motherboard in the past and saw power consumption increase when compared to not using offsets. I know it doesn't make sense, but that's what I observed and I immediately stopped using the offsets.

I'm not sure the "Allow Bluetooth devices to wake this computer" option was the issue but now it seems to be working consistently. I prefer such option switched off anyway as the Bluetooth mouse wake the computer even when you touched it. I'm happy to use the power button.

I was using Intel Power Gadget to measure power consumption. I was able to get beck down to 98W by setting Auto into the "Cache Multiplier" fields instead of 43. So there are lots of settings that determine an auto increase in power consumption as LLC is probably shifted higher when there's a number set in the "Cache Multiplier" fields.

Thanks for your help!!

Does the very newest clover version still spoof the 8th gen cpus?

Does the very newest clover version still spoof the 8th gen cpus?

I haven't tested. I have my ig-platform-id and device-id entered manually and haven't tried with them disabled yet.

Hello. I have a Asus ROG Strix Z390-E. With this guide my Mac work fine but I have a problem on reboot and shutdown, trying to restart or shut down. The PC freezes and stays on with a black screen. Tips?

Hello. I have a Asus ROG Strix Z390-E. With this guide my Mac work fine but I have a problem on reboot and shutdown, trying to restart or shut down. The PC freezes and stays on with a black screen. Tips?

It might be an NVRAM issue. Try replacing AptioMemoryFix-64.efi with OsxAptioFix2Drv.efi + EmuVariableUefi-64.efi in /EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/.

Yes, if you want to use the Intel X540-T2 cards, you will need to hack the product-id and device-id in Linux. The idea is to change them to be the same as the SmallTree product-id and device-id so that you can use the SmallTree drivers.
Thanks!

As this build has reached a state of nirvana (honestly, I can't imagine a hackintosh running macOS any better than this), I got a bit bored... I wanted to see how a video card with an "open" style cooler would affect the system. So, I procured a Power Color Vega 56 Red Dragon to do some testing.

The Red Dragon that I got has been flashed with a Sapphire Vega 64 Nitro+ BIOS. I did a quick Unigine Heaven run before swapping out my Vega 56 with reference style "blower" cooler. Once the Red Dragon was in, I ran Heaven again. With the blower cooler, my CPU temps never exceeded 37C. With the open cooler, my CPU temps were at 50C!! That's a huge increase. Unfortunately, I don't know of any way to see VRM and/or RAM temps in macOS, but I would imagine that their temps would also see significant increases.

Fidgeting with undervolting the Red Dragon did nothing to help the temps of the CPU or the Red Dragon itself. In fact, I found that running the Red Dragon with the stock macOS 10.14.5 power table yielded the best benchmark results. However, those results were still lower than my tweaked Vega 56. In Heaven my tweaked Vega 56 gets ~72.5fps vs ~68.5 with the Red Dragon running a Vega 64 BIOS. On the other hand, the Red Dragon was completely inaudible to me and GPU temps never exceeded 65C. With the blower, I can hear the movement of air and GPU temps got as high as 72C.

So, what's the takeaway here? Well, if you overclock your CPU and are using an air cooler, you should probably stick with video cards that use blower style coolers. The heat from a video card with an open style cooler will keep heat inside your case rather than push it out of the case. The amount of heat can be significant depending on the video card. I don't know how much impact this would have if you are using water cooling, but I would guess that VRM and RAM would get even hotter since there will be less air circulation around them without the fans of an air cooler.

Just something to consider for those who are thinking about a Radeon VII which only comes with a open style cooler...

As this build has reached a state of nirvana (honestly, I can't imagine a hackintosh running macOS any better than this), I got a bit bored... I wanted to see how a video card with an "open" style cooler would affect the system. So, I procured a Power Color Vega 56 Red Dragon to do some testing.

The Red Dragon that I got has been flashed with a Sapphire Vega 64 Nitro+ BIOS. I did a quick Unigine Heaven run before swapping out my Vega 56 with reference style "blower" cooler. Once the Red Dragon was in, I ran Heaven again. With the blower cooler, my CPU temps never exceeded 37C. With the open cooler, my CPU temps were at 50C!! That's a huge increase. Unfortunately, I don't know of any way to see VRM and/or RAM temps in macOS, but I would imagine that their temps would also see significant increases.

Fidgeting with undervolting the Red Dragon did nothing to help the temps of the CPU or the Red Dragon itself. In fact, I found that running the Red Dragon with the stock macOS 10.14.5 power table yielded the best benchmark results. However, those results were still lower than my tweaked Vega 56. In heaven my tweaked Vega 56 gets ~72.5fps vs ~68.5 with the Red Dragon running a Vega 64 BIOS. On the other hand, the Red Dragon was completely inaudible to me and GPU temps never exceeded 65C. With the blower, I can hear the movement of air and GPU temps got as high as 72C.

So, what's the takeaway here? Well, if you overclock your CPU and are using an air cooler, you should probably stick with video cards that use blower style coolers. The heat from a video card with an open style cooler will keep heat inside your case rather than push it out of the case. The amount of heat can be significant depending on the video card. I don't know how much impact this would have if you are using water cooling, but I would guess that VRM and RAM would get even hotter since there will be less air circulation around them without the fans of an air cooler.

Just something to consider for those who are thinking about a Radeon VII which only comes with a open style cooler...

How many Case Fans do you have? This could be a big factor. Also I would guess that water cooling would help in this scenario since the cooling happens at the front of the case before the GPU. I seem to remember watching a video and the overall system temp to be lower with the open shroud and water cooling then when they used the Blower style with Water Cooler.

Back