Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

True! Is there a guide for creating a dummy kext somewhere?

See my EFI folder/ioreg below. I've removed the sensitive SMBios info. It appears that AppleIntelFramebuffer is now loaded. Is there a simple way to test the function of the iGPU encoding/decoding? Also, it kinda bothers me it's taking my machine longer to boot even tho I know it shouldn't... Just FYI, I don't do any video stuff, only Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign and 3D modeling. Are there any downsides to choosing iMacPro1,1 other than my hardware being closer to iMac19,1?

The reports I've seen from people using iMacPro1,1 have mostly been very positive.

True! Is there a guide for creating a dummy kext somewhere?

See my EFI folder/ioreg below. I've removed the sensitive SMBios info. It appears that AppleIntelFramebuffer is now loaded. Is there a simple way to test the function of the iGPU encoding/decoding? Also, it kinda bothers me it's taking my machine longer to boot even tho I know it shouldn't... Just FYI, I don't do any video stuff, only Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign and 3D modeling. Are there any downsides to choosing iMacPro1,1 other than my hardware being closer to iMac19,1?

I had almost instant crashes using iMac Pro 1,1

Edit:

I guess it only worked with that special build, it currently is not working : /

Last edited:
The reports I've seen from people using iMacPro1,1 have mostly been very positive.
Well I went with iMacPro1,1 for now. I timed the iMac19,1 boot up time and the black screen in between each B&W Apple logo lasted 40 seconds! With iMacPro there is no wait time in between, I get all my DRM stuff and it might be all in my head but it just feels snappier (and more Pro-ier?...). Thank you for your help PastryChef, I do appreciate it. Maybe once WEG and Clover are updated iMac19,1 will be more viable for me because that's really what I want to be using.

Well I went with iMacPro1,1 for now. I timed the iMac19,1 boot up time and the black screen in between each B&W Apple logo lasted 40 seconds! With iMacPro there is no wait time in between, I get all my DRM stuff and it might be all in my head but it just feels snappier (and more Pro-ier?...). Thank you for your help PastryChef, I do appreciate it. Maybe once WEG and Clover are updated iMac19,1 will be more viable for me because that's really what I want to be using.

I have noticed that since macOS 10.14.5, on iMac19,1, playback of HEVC videos is now handled by my Vega and not the IGPU. This deemphasis of the IGPU makes the argument to use iMacPro1,1 system definition stronger than ever.

I will give it another try now that I understand.

Last edited:
After one year on, encoding ts to MP4 (H264/H265) via Handbrake on CPU only... I just discovered that Vega GPU acceleration is there. *facepalm*

After one year on, encoding ts to MP4 (H264/H265) via Handbrake on CPU only... I just discovered that Vega GPU acceleration is there. *facepalm*

How did you figure this out?

Maybe I'm wrong when you use the *VideoToolbox* option in H264/H265. But for the moment, the CPU is quiet and with 48°C - 169% load (8700k), and the Vega 56 is at 65°C. On a 6GB TS video (3 hours)... 30 min encoding.

maybe i'm wrong but when u use the *VideoToolbox* option in h264/h265... But for the Maybe I'm wrong when you use the *VideoToolbox* option in H264/H265. But for the moment, the CPU is quiet and with 48°C - 169% load (8700k), and the Vega 56 is at 65°C. On a 6GB TS video (3 hours)... 30 min encoding.

Interesting. Are you able to choose a "Constant Quality" when VideoToolbox is chosen? Mine is grayed out...

Grey out, too. I discovered this while reading the patch notes: "Added initial support for VideoToolbox hardware-accelerated encoding".
My encoding without touching anything else than this option.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-05-18 at 19.40.53.png
    Screenshot 2019-05-18 at 19.40.53.png
    715.6 KB · Views: 67
  • Screenshot 2019-05-18 at 19.43.45.png
    Screenshot 2019-05-18 at 19.43.45.png
    122.2 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Back